DAC's interview with the Trash guys

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Kreegle
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

DAC's interview with the Trash guys

Post by Kreegle »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

This is hard for me to say... now, brace yourselves: Fallout 3 is not in development. I know it's a shock... I, too, was deeply upset by this revelation. It's almost too much to bear.<br><br><i>ALMOST</i> too much to bear, but not quite... because there's a different bunch of very interesting post-apocalyptic games being developed! That's right, you <i>don't</i> have to play dungeons-and-dragons games to fill in the time while you wait.<br><br>One of these aforementioned games is <b>Trash</b>, a post-apocalyptic real-time strategy game being developed by <a href="http://inhumangames.com/" target="_blank">Inhuman Games</a>. Not too much is known about Trash, really... so that's why our intrepid reporter, Saint Proverbius, dusted off his interview-shoes and <a href="http://www.duckandcover.net/features/in ... tml">fired off some questions</a> to <b>Mark Currie</b>, the lead designer of <b>Trash</b>. Here's a particularly saucy sample:<blockquote><b>Saint_Proverbius:</b> <i>What exactly is the concept of piping in Trash? How does it affect gameplay? Do all sides have something similar?</i><br><br><b>Mark Currie:</b> In most RTS games, resources are magically teleported from where you drop it off to where you use it. You can harvest something on one side of the map and use it on the other. In Trash, you must connect all your structures with pipe in order to share resources. It is important to control the land between your expansions. If you pipe gets severed the separated bases have to go it alone as far resources are concerned, until the pipe is reconnected.<br><br>Technology created at research buildings also need to be transported through the pipe network. Research buildings are worthless unless they are connected to the factories that produce units. The machine race has the additional restriction that their units must also stay in contact with the pipe. So before attacking an enemy base they need to build pipe to it.</blockquote>Read the whole thing <a href="http://www.duckandcover.net/features/in ... 2002.shtml" target="_blank">over here</a>. Thanks Mark!
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Pipes... Well, it just seems like a weird retake on the more versatile Dune2 concrete slab, which you needed to put your strucures on - and they all needed to be connected (although admitably there is a bigger difference: in Dune2 you could detroy the link (a single slab or more) and the slabs'd still work, where I hope the pipes don't...)
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Well, Dune and C&C did that because they wanted players to keep their base "clustered". After all, a clustered base is easier to kill. You don't have to run around all over the map looking for that lone farm keeping your enemy alive.

Trash has piping for a different reason, to make resources seem more "dependent". I think that's a damned fine idea given that the game is Post Apocalyptic.
------------------
Our Host!