Duck and Cover Forum Index

Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs.
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 Stripping inventory. View next topic
View previous topic
JaTe
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 11:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok so I want to make it so a player can use their own custom character, but I don't want that character to have anything on them to start with.

Is there a way to strip the inventory off of a character with a trigger or something?

Or spawn a character with nothing?

Thanks.

As soon as I have this figured out, and a few other things, I'll release my small campaign. It's got 4 missions and 3 areas to play around in.
endocore
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you're using the normal/default character creation/modification process to start your campaign, and what you're asking is if there's any way to prevent the "random" items given to a character (for example, if you create a character with a high barter skill you get a Cat's Paw magazine, etc), then I would say the answer is that there's probably no way to accomplish what you want in this regard. OTB, Max-Violence, and the other campaign-makers could probably comment on this more decisively than I can, but I know the issue of possible custom characters has been a problem for all FOT campaign makers.

Endocore
JaTe
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Basically I want it so when you get your new character he's go nothing. No weapons etc...

OR if there was just a way to get rid of the weapons, that'd be fine too.
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

<ugly>
It can be done, but it takes a bit of setting up, and some modding in addition to mapping. First, edit every single item entity to have the same Tag name. Save them all, and then add a "Give item to NPC" trigger that gives all items (according to their common tag name) to an NPC (Inactive if you can help it) and that might just work, but it might have issues, and it would require you to distro the new entity files along with the campaign.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteICQ Number
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

JaTe wrote:
I'll release my small campaign. It's got 4 missions and 3 areas to play around in.

*drool*

You've got my attention big-time! smile

Like EC/S8 and OTB on the other forum said, the only way to "strip" the main character is to modify all the item entities to have tag names then use a trigger right when the first map loads that gives all the items on the character to a NPC. Be sure to make the NPC off-camera and out of perception range of any PC so that the human player doesn't see the NPC and wonder, "WTF?"

Technically, as OTB said, you'd just need to modifiy the items that can be given to a character. All you'd have to do is make a bunch of of prefab characters, and with each one, tag 3 skills in a row (so the first one would have Small Guns, Bug Guns, and Energy Weapons tagged, the 2nd would have Unarmed, Melee Weapons, and Throwing tagged, etc.) and make note of all the items given, then modify only those. This way, you don't have to redistribute every single item .ent along with your campaign.

Good luck :!:
JaTe
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well since I have your attention, I'll tell you a little about it.

You'll get to walk to the various places of interest on a map (Like with the FOT campaign).

The three (current, may add more) areas to "play around in" are a roadside cafe (where you start), a truckstop/car dealership and a fleamarket.

The 4 current missions will be in a cave, a vault, a raider base...and I haven't decided on the last one.

If anyone wants to maybe make some maps for it, that'd rock...if so just post and say so.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 4:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds good icon_mrhappy

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic