RM Milner talks Fallout fans again

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

RM Milner talks Fallout fans again

Post by cazsim83 »

<strong>[ Community -> Editorial ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Bethesda Softworks">Company: Bethesda Softworks</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a> | More info on <a href="#R M Milner">Person: R M Milner</a>

<p>RM Milner posted his Master's thesis on <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewt ... art=0">The Nature of Fallout Fans</a>, so I figured I'd give him another chance to speak out about Fallout and us, the Fans.</p><p>From the OnlineFandom blog:</p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><p><em>Ryan M. Milner&rsquo;s </em><a href="http://www.onlinefandom.com/archives/gu ... ractivity/" target="_blank"><em>post a couple of weeks ago</em></a><em> highlighting some of his findings in the analysis of Bethesda&rsquo;s Fallout Forum he did for his MA thesis at the University of Kansas generated a lot of interest on the blog and in the many Fallout forums out there.</em></p></blockquote><p>Here are a couple excerpts from the article, which can be read in it's entirety <a href="http://www.onlinefandom.com/archives/gu ... </p><p>For a specialized community, Fallout fans are surprisingly international. The game series has struck a cord with fans across continents. This gives their interaction a diverse flair that would be impossible without the aid of mediated communication. From all over the world, Fallout fans gather to debate, discuss, and extend the mythos of the series.</p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><p><em>An understanding of the Fallout universe was a paramount value on the forum. An understanding of digital-game culture in general wasn&rsquo;t too far behind. And no matter how one felt about Fallout 3, being able to articulately and rationally discuss nuanced points was the only way to seriously enter into the conversation.</em></p><p><em>Now this last claim might be surprising to anyone who has visited the Bethesda Fallout 3 forum. At first glance, the site seems to be nothing but a flame war. Who would expect less from a space that sees interaction between Fallout fans, The Elder Scrolls fans, and Bethesda employees?</em></p></blockquote><p>Here's where I love this guy:</p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><p><em>I think there&rsquo;s something Bethesda, and producers of media texts in general, can learn from these observations. The Fallout fanbase (at least the majority of the vocal fanbase) has been wary of Bethesda&rsquo;s handling of Fallout 3 for a while now. And time and exposure has only resulted in a stalemate, if not worsened relations. Part of me thinks that so many fans made up their mind so long ago that the only thing that would satisfy them was a Fallout 3 that looked just like Fallout 1 & 2, with no updates or changes. But another part of me wonders if the problem isn&rsquo;t one of information and interpretation. Bethesda to date has released only a small number screenshots and one teaser trailer for a game that comes out in a few months. No beta test. No demo. No real glimpse into the process of creating the game. No invitations for input other than forum space and a character attribute contest where Bethesda picked the winner. All other information has been disseminated through third-party sources such as industry magazines. I think maybe Bethesda is ignoring the cardinal values of the Fallout community.</em></p><p><em>If fans thrive on knowledge, why not open up a bit?</em> </p></blockquote><p>Seriously.</p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><p><em>They&rsquo;ve had to be on the defensive with the Fallout fan community since they got the rights to the game. But it seems like this wrong-foot start has been made worse by their guarded tone. When fans interpret this guardedness as disrespect, a vicious cycle ensues. Given how entrenched this pattern is between the two parties, I don&rsquo;t see how a shift to an open exchange of knowledge could make the situation any worse.</em></p><p><em>I think it&rsquo;s telling that the Fallout 3 forum has contained forty-some full threads called &ldquo;Meet the Devs&rdquo; where fans can ask producers about anything not related to Fallout 3. Compare that with the precious few controlled situations where fans have been allowed to directly interact with developers about the game on their terms.</em> </p></blockquote><p>If you do decide to read the full article, give it a chance - it starts out pretty slow and seemingly meandering rather than getting to the point, but he's just setting up for the knockouts.</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://fallout3.wordpress.com/">Briosafreak's Fallout 3 Blog</a></p>
mixmastermind
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by mixmastermind »

It's amazing after reading this, that there is a major game that is close to his idea of giving out knowledge to its fans: Warhammer Online. Their monthly newsletter gives a ton of info, and the development team is incredibly truthful in showing its design mistakes.

Bethesda's just being asses, really.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

lol

here's a true fallout fan, at least D;

edit - hadn't realized poop's avatar was pete :aiee:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I am become Pete Hines, the shatterer of Hopes. :devil: (note the exact same grin)
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

pete hines. FUGLY.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

someone better make a smilie out of that picture :umbrella:
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

DO SO NOW.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

I think it's great to see that Bethesda is also hiring severely disabled people in higher positions. B)
���������
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

Thor Kaufman wrote: someone better make a smilie out of that picture :umbrella:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

awesome :herve:
:pete: