News Rundown

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

News Rundown

Post by cazsim83 »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong>

<p>Sorry about not keeping up-to-date, things have been pretty hectic, and probably will be until next Saturday. I'll do my best to keep solid news flowing, though.</p><p><a href="http://www.kotaku.com.au/">kotaku Australia</a> has reported that our Aussie friends will receive "2 Different Fallout 3 Collector's Editions, Kinda." - which can be read at their website <a href="http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/06/ ... ><p>Thanks to briosafreak, there's an interesting take on war, from wordpress.com's blog "The Space Oddity" - which can be seen <a href="http://thespaceoddity.wordpress.com/200 ... /">here</a> - a little comparison from the blog between Metal Gear Solid 4 and the Fallout franchise - </p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><p><em>&ldquo;War. War has changed.&rdquo; - Metal Gear Solid 4</em></p><p><em>&ldquo;War. War never changes.&rdquo; - Fallout 2/Fallout 3</em></p><p><em>The recently released Metal Gear Solid 4 purports to have a lot to say about the nature of war, which can be summarized by the first line in the game, uttered by an aging and grey Solid Snake. &ldquo;War has changed,&rdquo; he claims, referring to the game&rsquo;s constant reminder that wars are a business, perpetuated by private military contractors and the forces behind them. On the other hand, the upcoming Fallout 3 (lifting a line from the previous game in the series) takes the opposite opinion: &ldquo;War. War never changes.&rdquo;</em></p><p><em>Despite a post-apocalyptic settting filled with nuclear mutants and savage survivors, the Fallout series makes the claim that at its heart, war is always basically the same. What should politically aware gamers make of the fact that two two ultra-high-profile games releasing in the same year are taking diametrically opposing positions on the nature of war?</em></p></blockquote><p>Wired.com has an article up about apocalyptic vehicles, with thanks to <strong>Killzig</strong> via <strong>briosafreak</strong>, which the first page can be seen <a href="http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/mu ... 5">here</a>. (Sorry, page wouldn't load up for me, hopefully it's my 'net acting up again and not a bad link...)</p><p>IGN.com has an interview up with none other than <strong>Todd Howard</strong>, one of the Bethesda bigwigs. You can read the full article <a href="http://insider.ign.com/articles/882/882 ... l">here</a>, or read a few excerpts below:</p><p>We recently had the chance to give Mr. Howard the Hot Seat treatment in the hopes of learning about his inspirations and interests in gaming and beyond. Here's what he had to say.
<!-- start image div --></p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><p><em><strong>IGN: What's something you tried to do in your life that you failed at? How or why did you fail?

Todd Howard:</strong> I have tried several times to skateboard. I failed because it turns out &ndash; I suck at skateboarding. I think I could be the world's greatest luger though, but I've never tried it. How do you know if you are really good at the luge? I think you only truly know if you are born in Lake Placid.

<strong>IGN: What's something you do that you wish you didn't? Why?</strong>

<strong>Todd Howard:</strong> Doing interviews after a "night out." It's unprofessional and gets me in trouble.

<strong>IGN: Does your work say anything about you?</strong>

<strong>Todd Howard:</strong> That I've never really grown out of my love of the 100 hour adventures of my Apple 2 days. The ones I would go to bed dreaming about solving. I crave moments of discovery in games, the moments of "can I do this?" and the sense that I have found something no other player has. I want my games to have that. I want length and depth and hint books that can kill a child if dropped on them.
</em></p><p><em><strong>IGN: What movie do you hate?

Todd Howard:</strong> The Polar Express. A staggeringly magical book turned into, basically, what I can only view as a horror movie. It actually works as a horror movie. I still don't understand how Zemeckis whiffed on that one, because he's great.

<strong>IGN: If you had to choose someone to interview you, who would it be?</strong>

<strong>Todd Howard:</strong> Stephen Colbert.
</em></p><p><em><strong>IGN: What was the last scary thing that happened to you?

Todd Howard:</strong> Local blackout in our area a few days ago. Building dark; stop lights out. Jeff Gardiner, one of our producers, drove a few of us to Starbucks. He drives through a non-working stoplight the same time as a truck. About 10 inches from our deaths, it turns out Jeff drives like Jason Bourne and does a double-fishtail, misses the truck and gets us back in our lane. He never missed a beat. I thought it was Gran Turismo &ndash; awesome, until I realized I wasn't wearing my seatbelt.</em></p></blockquote><p>So much material, so little time. This interview has nothing to do with Fallout, and they might as well have interviewed JoeBob off the street about his views on whatever.</p><p>This spotted at <a href="http://fallout3.wordpress.com/"><strong ... /strong>'s Fallout 3 blog</a> - a bunch of magazines with screenshots and some small feedback about Fallout 3. Warning: Epic Quote coming up. French magazine Joystiq had a chance to preview Fallout 3 and do an interview with <strong>Emil Pagliarulo</strong> and <strong>Todd Howard</strong>. <strong>Briosafreak</strong> gives this little tidbit: </p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><p><em>They hated having to go to all that cinematic moments in VATS, or how you can&rsquo;t gain XP with sneak, but all in all they are very impressed with the &ldquo;immersion&rdquo; of the game.</em></p></blockquote><p>Here's something: Keith Stuart does a blog over at The Guardian and had a chance to interview <strong>Todd Howard</strong> about "<em>his vision for an interactive post-nuclear wasteland</em>". There is actually quite a bit of interesting material in the interview, which can be read in it's entirety <a href="http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archi ... l">here</a>, and a little glimpse into Fallout 3 I don't think I've read before - </p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><p><strong><em>Keith Stuart: In what ways do you feel you've captured the minutiae of survival in a post-apocalyptic landscape - will the player have to search for food/shelter in the game?</em></strong></p><strong /><p>
<em><strong>Todd Howard</strong>: I think it's the minutiae of the Fallout world. Say you are hurt in the game, and you come across a destroyed grocery store, and inside you find an old vending machine with some Nuka-Cola, you can drink the cola to heal yourself, but then the bottle cap also acts as the game's money. So you heal a bit and get a "cap" that you can use to trade. Just that tiny event is grounded in the reality of the world you're in.</em></p></blockquote><p>and thanks to <strong>Brother None</strong>, anyone who doesn't have google can get their Fallout 3 walkthroughs, cheats, etc in paperback form via <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Prima-Off ... zon.com</a> - The Official Strategy Guide goes on sale October 7. Seems <strong>Gamestop</strong> was right, after all.</p>
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Another take on the whole MGS4 "underlying message" - NYTimes

What was wrong with the days when video games were not scrutinized as having political meanings in their storyline? It's these media/politicians/whoever that get under my skin. It's a game. In this case it's an interactive movie ( :giggle: ) but has anyone's life really changed from a video game? Their worldview been brought into question? Dear gawd I hope no one is that debased...
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Re: News Rundown

Post by PiP »

cazsim83 wrote:you can’t gain XP with sneak
what? I thought Fallout 3 can't disappoint me. Further.
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

What does drinking centuries-old soda to heal an injury have to do with the minutiae of wasteland survival, exactly?
Edward_R_Murrow
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Edward_R_Murrow »

See, if Nuka Cola heals you and gives you money...why is it just lying around in Fallout 3? It's the same deal as the nuclear cars...wouldn't somebody pick that stuff up...and I don't know...use it? I know I would.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

maybe it tastes like ass :)
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

you have to be the chosen one to be able to benefit from the wonders of Nuka Cola :stroke of genius:

that all sounds pretty extreme if you know what I mean ;)
IGN: What's something you tried to do in your life that you failed at? How or why did you fail?
omg trick question
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

catfuck16thcentury wrote:has anyone's life really changed from a video game?
Have you never been all jumpy, eating mushrooms and stompig creeps for some blond slut to fuck her in the end?
Have you never gotten lost in the corridors of some club playing repetetive electronic musc, munching pills, being all paranoid that people which are pale like ghosts chase you through the corridors and your only chance is to eat all the pills you can find?
Have you never killed several flies or mosquitos in a row belchen M-M-M-MONSTERKILL?
Have you never jokingly said to yourself when you did some IRL fed-ex "missions" that you just earned 800 XP?
Have you never done ANYTHING that happened in a game you ever played? Well then you're a massive swell guy. But that's no news. Still in the news section though. :wakka wakka wakka wakka: B)
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

cazsim83 wrote:but has anyone's life really changed from a video game? Their worldview been brought into question? Dear gawd I hope no one is that debased...
Has anyone's life been changed?
I'm sure mmo games have been the excuse for a lot of divorces, maybe even the reason for some.

Have games changed the world-view of anyone?
Sure. attention addict Jack Thompson believes games are the root of all evil and that all gamers are deranged lunatics.

As for a change of view, for someone who's played the games...
I don't know. I guess I've lost faith in humanity whenever I meet moronic gamers online. Of course, I only had to visit DAC to experience utter morons.
Testicular Pugilist
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

asdf
Last edited by ApTyp on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Watching how creativity is being butchered by BigGameCorpâ„¢ makes me bitter and apathetic. That's why I tend to avoid gaming news sites. Playing games gives me the same feeling. I think gaming is the modern equivalent to huffing. They don't enlighten or cultivate your thought; they turn you into a vegetable. In fact, you don't even have to play a game nowadays -- just read the previews. Where are the fresh sensations of yesteryear? Watching 20+ year old kiddos foaming over some stupid run-of-the-mill action RPG/shooter hybrid makes me feel old, which, sadly enough, I'm not.

DAC is the only sane place on the internet, Ja. :jew:
PiP

Post by PiP »

this is the official "resurrection mod for DAC members" thread
VasikkA wrote:Watching how creativity is being butchered by BigGameCorpâ„¢ makes me bitter and apathetic. That's why I tend to avoid gaming news sites. Playing games gives me the same feeling. I think gaming is the modern equivalent to huffing. They don't enlighten or cultivate your thought; they turn you into a vegetable. In fact, you don't even have to play a game nowadays -- just read the previews. Where are the fresh sensations of yesteryear? Watching 20+ year old kiddos foaming over some stupid run-of-the-mill action RPG/shooter hybrid
you're never totally sure if it's things around you getting worse or yourself getting more and more cynical :duckie:
makes me feel old, which, sadly enough, I'm not.
what's so sad about not being old?
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

means it won't be over as soon as you'd like it to be.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

People like drivel, and corporations like money. So they make ans sell this drivel so the masses will hurl truckloads of cash at them . Viva crysis, the last pc exclusive fps.

That is until they ship a whole shit load of sub standard crysis edits to consoleville.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Cross platforming fucks everyone over, especially the PC gamers, because everything gets dumbed down exponentially for the console fucktards.
Our Host!