Are you going to buy Fallout 3?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.

I will...

...buy the game.
16%
...buy the survivor edition.
13%
...download it illegally.
37%
...not get the game at all.
16%
...will buy the game once it's available for 20 bucks.
18%

Total votes: 38

MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

GTA: steal cars drive them, shoot people in 2d ---> seal cars drive them, shoot people in 3d

Mario: Jump on shit and wonder what the fuck is the point in 2d --> Jump on shit and wonder what the fuck is the point in 3d

Fallout: Immersive, multibranching storyline and a rich background --> bethcock anal rape with a black pip on top.

QED
I miss the good ol' USSA.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Post by the_BlackPipMan »

MadBill wrote:GTA: steal cars drive them, shoot people in 2d ---> seal cars drive them, shoot people in 3d

Mario: Jump on shit and wonder what the fuck is the point in 2d --> Jump on shit and wonder what the fuck is the point in 3d

Fallout: Immersive, multibranching storyline and a rich background --> bethcock anal rape with a black pip on top.

QED
i love how fallout was the only game you described correctly *cough*bias*cough*
in the original GTAs you couldnt walk around outside of your car shotting people. its was ALL about the car.

now in GTA the game is more focused on there person and run and gun play.

mario was a side scrolling liner platformer. now mario is either open world and third person. or they are driving cars, and playing golf.

so many games fucking change. its only fallout however thats got people shitting themselves.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

What the fuck are you on about? Of course you had guns in GTA and GTA2. It was not all about the car.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

He was a little young at the time to recall GTA properly.

Also of course I am biased. I fucking hate mario.

Edit: I forgot to mention Zelda because I disbelieve after they hit the third dimension.
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

Don't call him bro, dude.
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

hm...to restate things i've said already...

Even kingpin will prove to be a better rpg(yes, i'm serious).

if this was done like bloodlines, system shock 2, deus ex - it would lose a lot of its feel, but still in a way could SOMEHOW maintain what the original had even without some of the speech paths. Hell - most modern "fps's with rpg elements" can't even hold up to strife. Sorry but AT BEST what fo3 will be is a post apoc adventure game, kind of like myst with guns and meaningless stats. I'm not sure how it could really be called fallout though...that just still doesn't click for me. I don't think you'd call sonic mario, I also don't think that you should call a game the same as another based on settings. otherwise, call of duty would simply be what, wolfenstein 15? I mean hell, even duke nukem is kind of post apocalyptic with all the aliens and destruction, right? was that the prequel to fallout? is charles barkley gaidan: shut up and jam final fantasy XIII? If i go out and kill a midget, take his legs, and use them as knee pads am i then a midget? If i go out and rip off a starbucks sign and try to sell heated sewage to customers out of a shack, is it a coffee house?

This is not a true sequel, this is more like comparing John Carpenter's Vampires, to the sequel to that...go watch it, i dare you. This is why we hate movie sequels that shouldn't even have had a direct to video release. This is the pop punk of computer gaming - a disgrace. Luckily they're declaring the pc a dead system, which hopefully means that the recent surge of ZOMG halo developers will leave us, opening the way for decent gaming. Oh and quick question - how can they put months and years into graphics and they still look like shit? rather than just making them hm, a little blander, work out some decent lighting, and try making some fucking decent AI and better physics for once?

Your thoughts on the earlier gta's are pure bullshit.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Amen brother!
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

lmfao.
S.P.E.C.I.A.L
vault boy
enclave
supermutants
wasteland
perks
skills
overseer
character creation
pipboy
dogmeat
vaults
ghouls
FEV
multiple dialog responses
power armor
brother hood of steel

nope this has nothing to do with fallout.

in your use of hyperbole you loose credibility because it turns into nonsensical babble.

if you steal a coffee maker and fill it with toilet water, no you do not have coffee.

but taken all the coffee ingredients and mixing them them in a toilet, is still coffee. just shitty coffee you wouldnt want to drink.

if a game has nearly every element of fallout. its fallout.
it my not be a good fallout. but its fallout none the less.

arguing that duke nukem could be fallout just makes you look like an assclown. try harder next time.

now on the point of GTA. i will repeat. the FOCUS was on the car.
would you see the protagonist's make there way throw a bank shooting gaurds in there way to get the cash? i didn't think so. GTA3 and on, games are mainly focused on the player. most missions have to be accomplished out of your car, and exploring a compound of some sort.

the first GTA didn't even have missions you could get from gangs.

oh about stats and skills being meaningless. prove it.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

the_BlackPipMan wrote:throw a bank
I would like to see you throw a bank.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

well, really there was a main mission guy in the original GTA for every chapter, who seemed very gang related to me. While not as indepth as the 2nd one's system, but that's beside the point.
in the original GTAs you couldnt walk around outside of your car shotting people. its was ALL about the car.
i will repeat. the FOCUS was on the car
huh? consistency kthnx. There were infact parts dedicated to GTA that restricted your movements to be on foot. I suggest you replay this little gem of a game.

I also enjoy how you listed karma, when last I heard it was removed from the game, along with traits. Woohoo! OMG ITS REALLY FALLOUT LOL. Half that shit was probably in FOPOS too, but hey we (and practically everyone else) disowned that shit too.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Stainless wrote:
I also enjoy how you listed karma, when last I heard it was removed from the game
WRONG.

dont worry. you were right about the traits though. ZOMG NO TRAITS?!?!?! THATS NOT FALLOUT ITS SOME SORT OF WACKY FPS!

traits were hardly important in fallout. or at least as important as burning children and groin shots.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Honestly, I couldn't give a shit about groin shots or killable children. So when did karma get re-introduced? I thought they just removed it and left in the reputation system.

But removal of traits is retarded, it was an interesting, simple and easy game mechanic that offered play style/character variation. It's not progress of a series, it's dumbing it down to a simpler system so Bethsoft can be lazier and ADD kiddies don't have to think too hard when they make a character.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

the_BlackPipMan wrote:if you steal a coffee maker and fill it with toilet water, no you do not have coffee.

but taken all the coffee ingredients and mixing them them in a toilet, is still coffee. just shitty coffee you wouldnt want to drink.

if a game has nearly every element of fallout. its fallout.
it my not be a good fallout. but its fallout none the less.
That's the whole fucking point, 'innit?
What we are trying to say is that just because it has Fallout written on it, does not mean that we should be worshipping it. I know that we're downplaying a game that has not been released yet... but then again you are doing exactly the opposite with a still unreleased game.

Yes, of course there are similarities between the games, but that does not mean that they should be called the same name. Just because you have Super Mutants does not mean that you have Fallout, same goes for perks, traits, character creation, similarity of weapons, and all the rest of the jazz. Do you get it?
Saying that Fallout 3 is Fallout because it has Super Mutants is like saying that Doom is Quake because both have Shotguns.

Bethesda is totally disregarding at will anything that was canon in Fallout, just like Interplay did with FO:POS.
Just have a look at the Fallout bible, read up on BoS, Super Mutants, Enclave and all that shit, then read up about Fallout 3 and you will notice more than one discontinuity, to which many threads have been devoted here in DaC since game info was started to be released.

Bethesda has said many times that they bought the Fallout IP, and even though they say they listen to fans (lol, i know) they have always said that THEY ARE MAKING THEIR OWN GAME, THEIR OWN VISION OF FALLOUT. Many of these devs that are making this game, by their own vision, have not even played the fucking originals (yes, I shit you not, have a look at some of the In The Vault dev interviews). I mean, imagine that Sony bought Ford and then started making TVs with "Ford" written on them. Sure, it's a label that you can stick onto anywhere, but it doesn't mean shit. Do you understand?
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Stainless wrote:Honestly, I couldn't give a shit about groin shots or killable children. So when did karma get re-introduced? I thought they just removed it and left in the reputation system.

But removal of traits is retarded, it was an interesting, simple and easy game mechanic that offered play style/character variation. It's not progress of a series, it's dumbing it down to a simpler system so Bethsoft can be lazier and ADD kiddies don't have to think too hard when they make a character.
traits period is a dumbing down of table top RPG games. its there to make the game easier. (since you usually take traits the boosts your strengths, and the weaknesses are usually not even relevant for the character.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

again you exaggerate. its not working dude. i don't know what the point is of trying.

if all fallout had was super mutants then your argument would be valid.

as you can CLEARLY read in my point, there is a lot more similarities then super mutants.
there are more similarities then there are compared to oblivion.

i never said once you don't have a right to hate the game. fact is you have been a fallout fan longer then i have even known of its existence.

but i do have a problem with you shitting on people for wanting to play it.

it seems like most people here have some revenge fantasy of bethsda making this game and it bombs big time and they go bankrupt.

its not going to happen. not only will they be EXTREMELY successful with this game. they are probably brainstorming on what to do with FO4 and how they can milk this cash cow even further.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

I am not going to argue with you any more.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Frater Perdurabo wrote:I am not going to argue with you any more.
sounds like a plan
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

the funniest thing is i can think of a few studios previous that could have created a "3", and even redone the first 2 or ignored the story but, in a way, if they did it right it would have been a spiritual sequel and to hell with continuity...we'd care, but not that much.

To put this into context...and I in no way claim FO3 will be compared to film i'm about to mention, but in a way it is actually quite similar. Blade runner vs. do androids dream of electric sheep. In the adaptation we lost about hm...half th message of the book. We lost a lot of the social commentary. What we were left with was a kickass cyberpunk film that barely had anything to do, really, with the book in any way. I look at FO3 in the same light, except for the fact that its going to suck to all of us as a game anyways. If it were to be good - it would just be different, not really belonging to the fallout name - at least not "fallout 3". Imagine if they had called POS fallout 3? it just wouldn't make since, and neither does this.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Caleb wrote:the funniest thing is i can think of a few studios previous that could have created a "3", and even redone the first 2 or ignored the story but, in a way, if they did it right it would have been a spiritual sequel and to hell with continuity...we'd care, but not that much.

To put this into context...and I in no way claim FO3 will be compared to film i'm about to mention, but in a way it is actually quite similar. Blade runner vs. do androids dream of electric sheep. In the adaptation we lost about hm...half th message of the book. We lost a lot of the social commentary. What we were left with was a kickass cyberpunk film that barely had anything to do, really, with the book in any way. I look at FO3 in the same light, except for the fact that its going to suck to all of us as a game anyways. If it were to be good - it would just be different, not really belonging to the fallout name - at least not "fallout 3". Imagine if they had called POS fallout 3? it just wouldn't make since, and neither does this.
i'm really trying to understand you and your pals points of view. really am. but its difficult. i just don't see the huge differences you guys are seeing.

is the view point and combat style the only problem here?

i hear a lot of the feel and theme are lost.

is there something more that i am not seeing? and if there is can you explain it.

because i hear a lot of "they are nothing alike etc etc" and i just think there has to be more to this argument then basic game play mechanics.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

tl;dr hardly any of it.

lemme sum it up: Oblivion with Guns.

Did you like Oblivion? Would you like an Oblivion mod that let's you use guns, and makes everything look brown and ruined, instead of green and luscious?

Did you answer yes? Buy Fallout 3.

Did you answer no? Don't buy Fallout 3.

'nuff fuckin' said already.
Our Host!