MASS EFFECT r teh c001

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

are you Game?
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

my download still ain't finished D:

better give me a lot of xps D;
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

*Very* crash happy for me, which pisses me off no end. It's also not very alt-tab friendly. I'm tempted to play WIC instead, I've had it installed since it came out, but never bothered playing it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

WIC?

Damn I hate those games which crash when you alt-tab. Seriously, they're a fucking pain.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

World in Conflict. Knocked it over in two sittings, but it really grabbed me and was lots of fun. It's funny, I found the RTS game had more involving realistic characters then the RPG that has all these fancy character driven choices and scenes
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

I just got world in conflict and STALKER in the mail this week. I'm glad you liked WiC, I'd been hearing tepid reviews...
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

The biggest problem with WiC was that maintaining your units wasn't really important, except in a few missions. As you have unlimited resources; strategy sometimes turns into deploying your heavy tanks over and over again, and less about "this is what I've got to work with" kind of thing. Still it's a very welcome change of pace from build base - get resources - mass army, that alot of RTS's are trapped into.

Plus it has a nice nuke scene :dance:

In similar respect, I'd equate it to Stalker. It has it's fair share of flaws, but it at least attempts to do things differently, and offer an individual game experience; so as every other game that does that, it either is really enjoyable or you absolutely loath it.

Honestly, I loved every minute of it. I haven't played a game in ages that I could play till 3am for hours and hours on end which didn't crash every now and then, or frustrate the living shit out of me to stop playing.

Hope you enjoy it zig
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

In terms of RTS, y'all need to get your hands on Close Combat. :subhuman:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Stainless wrote: As you have unlimited resources; strategy sometimes turns into deploying your heavy tanks over and over again, and less about "this is what I've got to work with" kind of thing
Ha. I'd probably hate it then. That's exactly what I didn't like in Company of Heroes. I wish people would make more squad-based games.

As for Close Combat, VasikkA, you're pretty damn right. A Bridge Too Far for the win.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Don't get me wrong, I played it in such a way that I tried to maintain my army, as quite frankly vet units could roll most things. But the limitations are in how many units you can field at once. While it's nice to spam heavy tanks, you'll only really be able to field 3-4 at a time, and time in between you getting that resource back to do it again, can take a decent amount of time.

The demo is a pretty good indication of what the game has to offer. (as it's the 3rd mission)
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

S4ur0n27 wrote:
Stainless wrote: As you have unlimited resources; strategy sometimes turns into deploying your heavy tanks over and over again, and less about "this is what I've got to work with" kind of thing
Ha. I'd probably hate it then. That's exactly what I didn't like in Company of Heroes. I wish people would make more squad-based games.

As for Close Combat, VasikkA, you're pretty damn right. A Bridge Too Far for the win.
Have you played Blitzkrieg? It's a squad based RTS and it's the only one of its kind that I enjoyed immensely. You get your units that you drag through missions etc so they gain experience as well. You really don't want to lose your armor and cherish your superior elite units.

It's like Sudden Strike, if anyone remembers that game.
You should remember that Blitzkrieg tries to do things very realistically, which leads to quite a steep difficulty curve at times. There's also a sequel, Blitzkrieg 2, but I never played it and from what I heard it's just stupidly difficult.

Actually, I will defo reinstall Blitzkrieg when I get back home.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Sounds good.

There are like 6 different ones on isohunt though?
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Stainless wrote:World in Conflict. Knocked it over in two sittings, but it really grabbed me and was lots of fun. It's funny, I found the RTS game had more involving realistic characters then the RPG that has all these fancy character driven choices and scenes
Funny isn't it? The characters are actually more compelling that those in mass effect.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Yeah, it really got its hooks into me. I really enjoyed the constant scenes where you see them phoning home and stuff. The character Banon was awesomely well done, to the point that you either despised the whiny bastard at one point, and feel sympathetic to him the next.

Essentially, the characters seemed realistic enough to me to feel attached to them. The original System Shock did it for me in the past (the sense of urgency to get to the resistance on the flight deck, only to have that crushed by SHODAN moments before), and it's the thing that let me down most with Bioshock.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

If you take a look at the little girl on the bicycle you can see that they way she moves is not that of a little girl, just watch her stance.

I am not a big advocate of bioshock, personally i think it totally sucked. The voice recordings were good but the game got let down by EVERYTHING ELSE.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Personally I liked Company of Heroes, the tank combat in it seems more realistic than most other RTS games in the fact that you have to flank heavy tanks to get to their weak spots in the rear.

Tank spams only work on open maps and even then if it doesn't have something to deal with infantry and AT guns it usually grinds to a screaming halt. In an urban confrontation, they get stuck in traffic jams constantly and fall prey to rocket infantry and artillery.

Also, I thought Relic did a good job with the infantry and infantry combat. The squad AI is pretty damn amazing since it knows to dive for cover when it gets shot at, and not just get in prone, but dive behind barrels and debris and stuff that's on the ground. The voice acting in the game is good too, idle squads actually talk amongst themselves and some of their click-responses are funny too (ie, a paratrooper squad will say "I'm a little fucking busy!" as they're taking fire).

On the whole, Company of Heroes is a good game with pretty damn good campaigns. The main trick is to figure out how to deal with the people that try to steamroll. That is the biggest pain, because you always have to make fall-back points as you advance.

Also, I tried the World in Conflict beta when that was out and I liked it, I just haven't got around to buying the game yet. Its definitely on my to do list, its just not that high up on there.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Company of Heroes is good as long as you believe in it. At some point, I was in this super long mission, I had tons of units and was micromanaging like a madman thinking it was actually useful, then I thought "fuck this map it's too long" so I selected all my units and ordered them all to just attack randomly. Guess what? I won. Did the same on the next level and won again.

Destroys the illusion and makes you feel stupid.
SenisterDenister

That happened to me with Supreme Commander.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

i played company of heroes on expert and never ran into that problem? in skirmishes i would also only play against computers on the hardest difficulty and never had that problem then, either?

im pretty in love with company of heroes, it restored my faith in the rts genre and seems to be the new standard by which new titles should be judged
SenisterDenister

Relic did a great job with maintaining the game's atmosphere, no matter when or how you're playing it, which is more than I can say for Supreme Commander.

I've always been a fan of Relic, ever since Homeworld. Dawn of War II, which is going to be released in 2009, looks incredible.
Our Host!