Dr. Jones 4

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Dr. Jones 4

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I just got back from it and it was average, I was a bit disappointed but from what I was hearing of the reviews was that its going to be average. It's a decent movie but with all the hype it was set up for failure. I would still see the movie just no need to break a rib trying to do so.

The story was somewhat decent and they took some risks with it but everything else kind of felt a bit flat. I think I copied that from somewhat in IRC.

Shia Lebutts part should have been played by Megatron.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree

Re: Dr. Jones 4

Post by Dreadnought »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Shia Lebutts part should have been played by Megatron.
What's the deal with those retarded statements? The only thing he can play (with), is fucking roadkill. Stop fucking hyping this retard as if he had any fucking skills, k? Thx.

Megatron is the old cazsim.

Edit:

Stop writing reviews. They've become crap. Also, who the fuck cares about yet-another movie with too old actors.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Dreadnought wrote: Megatron is the old cazsim.
holy shit, is that compliment? even a backhanded one I'd accept from you :hug:

poops - thnx for not putting any spoilers in as admittedly I'll be watching this in about......16 hours
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

I went to watch it the morning, hadn't been to a cinema for like 2 years.
I would say that I went in to get some Indiana Jones type of action and that is exactly what I got. Also, I just watch Raiders of the Lost Ark (was that the one with the grail?!) and Temple of Doom a while ago, so I have something to compare to. Overall, I'd say that it was weaker than Temple of Doom, which is my favourite.

The biggest criticism is that I felt it was way too dumbed down and childish, more than the older movies.
It didn't have the colorful (not literally) actors that the previous movies had. His sidekick in this one was mediocre and the "girl" left a lot to have desired.
It sort of took the turn from an adventure movie that Indiana Jones was all about to a family movie, a turn that I did not like.
Special effects were meh. Obviously you had some over the top stuff that I don't personally like, however nothing really memorable happened.
As for the storyline, well you can criticise that for yourself if you go to see it. I would say that it was fine.
edit: also, don't expect much witty dialogue. Apparently scriptwriters nowadays don't see any use for that any more.

I give it :subhuman::subhuman::subhuman: out of :subhuman::subhuman::subhuman::subhuman::subhuman:
If you ever liked the Indiana Jones series (which I presume most of us did) then go and watch it, just for nostalgia, but don't expect anything to have been done better. I got my 2h of mindless entertainment.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Dreadnought wrote:
POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Shia Lebutts part should have been played by Megatron.
What's the deal with those retarded statements? The only thing he can play (with), is fucking roadkill. Stop fucking hyping this retard as if he had any fucking skills, k? Thx.

Megatron is the old cazsim.

Edit:

Stop writing reviews. They've become crap. Also, who the fuck cares about yet-another movie with too old actors.
Megatron is fuckin legendary and is a messiah in my eyes. What right do you have to even speak his name without a devout heart.

Frater, your a bit odd in that you like Temple of Doom the best as most people like that one the least. Oddly I always liked it a lot as a kid and I've never watched the last crusade a lot. A lot of the characters in the new one just seem tagged on and not very interesting like the bad girl and the guy in indys group.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Yeah, well then I feel sorry for you to have a wimpy dickhead as a messiah. I praise the all mighty Dollar and he never let me down so far. :dandy:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

I loved Temple of Doom, because I remembered it as having the least emphasis on action. I seriously hate action movies, whereever there is some kind of fighting scene, I just hope that they just get it over with and finish in less than 1 minute. Besides the 20minute finale, Temple of Doom did not have a lot of action, but instead packed a lot of witty dialogue and humour. I loved the characters as well, the girl was hot and played her role well, you know she played that spoilt bitch but she did it in a funny, not in a despicable way. All the characters in the movie were pretty interesting and it was an entertaining adventure movie.

The new one though, meh, the characters were generally shallow and generally uninteresting. I don't think that the kid did a very good job of playing his role either, lots of his lines and actions seemed very forced. Apart from that, I thought that there was generally just too much action, like that long ass car chase in the jungle.

All in all, it wasn't a bad movie, but I probably won't rewatch, whereas I can see myself rewatching Temple of Doom sometime.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Write a review with spoilers coz I don't want to watch this crap anyway.
���������
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Dreadnought wrote:Write a review with spoilers coz I don't want to watch this crap anyway.
It pissed off a few Russians
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Saw Indy 4 yesterday and thought it was pretty good. It's like a combination of The Last Crusade and Temple of Doom with the quality lying somewhere in between. Most of the negative reviews are way off base. Yeah, the movie's premise is ridiculous, but so are the previous three.

There are a few parts where I said "What the fuck?!" out loud. First, the riding a nuclear blast in a refrigerator scene. They turned Indy into a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Second, when Mutt was swinging through the jungle with the monkeys was retarded beyond belief. When they swarmed the russians in the car it was kinda funny. Third, in the final 15 minutes I had to take a wicked shit. Movie theater "icee's" don't agree with my stomach, because when the credits rolled I ran into the bathroom and punished the first toilet I saw.

It was cool to see New Haven on the big screen. Especially since I was there when they were filming.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

:SPOILER:

there are aliens in this POS.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

It was the same aliens from Close Encounters. But are aliens any worse than the whole power of God thing in Raiders/Crusade and who the fuck knows what was in Temple of Doom? At least we didn't get Lucas' original idea: Indy vs. an alien invasion from Mars.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Crap

crap

more crap

I liked the first one, though.

Flying Boats ftw
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Mad Max RW wrote:It was the same aliens from Close Encounters. But are aliens any worse than the whole power of God thing in Raiders/Crusade and who the fuck knows what was in Temple of Doom? At least we didn't get Lucas' original idea: Indy vs. an alien invasion from Mars.
I think anything could be a good premise for a series like Indiana. The problem is firstly, that Lucas was involved and Ford is just too old to be running around jungles.

Secondly, I believe that the trilogy is a bit hyped for what they actually are. Don't get me wrong, I love the movies.. and that's the problem. These movies were made for a simpler movie-goer. These days, everyone and their mother thinks they're a certified critic so we are in many ways hyper-aware of cliches and it forces directors to outdo themselves constantly.

The Jones movies were basically more of the same because for the time more of the same was enough to earn a blockbuster. Rocky Balboa is a great example of a film done well and it updates us with a character that is easy to root for.

Stallone realized he wasn't the same person from the last movie. He had changed and it didn't hurt that he's a great dramatic writer, director.

The problem Jones' series faces is that the series pigeon holes the character. Indiana Jones was never a flawed character the way Rocky was. Indiana Jones was a great adventurer who always got the girl and saved his hat and himself from destruction. He was likeable of course, but not a character worth delving into.

Now of course, a director and writer could have come up with a great story that toned down the action somewhat and given surprising insight into the character, but Lucas has never been this guy. Lucas' characters by and large are either good or evil and let's get on with the adventure.
or at least that the Dr. Jones world. It was a huge and glaring mistake that I noticed from the first trailer. It's the focus on the action.

Didn't they realize how much faith we have in the character? The audience wanted to dig deeper into the Jones psyche. I'm not a writer and I can't imagine how a 65 year old Indiana Jones could ever have worked but it was obvious from the first trailer that this movie is not the way.

I'm going to be honest, I haven't seen the movie and I'm not going to. I found it mind-boggling that they were making a new one, and felt the same way about a new Rocky. What is clear about this movie is that it used almost the exact same formula to create this film, but added CG effects, a sixty-five year old leading man, and a stale script.

It can't work. I knew it when the trailer came out and the reviews have only defended my view. I was wrong about Rocky but not about this crap.

and it honestly pisses me off that Lucas has to fuck with things, and all the while people stand in line to let him screw them out of admission and snacks (like $40 bucks when I go, with a date).

In closing, fuck Lucas and Spieljew. I can understand Ford agreeing to this crap, he's pretty washed up, but those two had so many other franchises to rape.

and that's my thesis on why this movie sucks.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I thought Harrison looked pretty good for his 60's. I went into it expecting to see a slouching old man dragging himself from place to place but it wasn't that way at all. He's definitely older, but is definitely Indiana Jones. He's more mature although with many touches of the younger self and charm. If it was him swinging through the jungle on vines I'd call bullshit.

Anyway, comparing Indy to Rocky is unfair. The latter is more serious and supposed to be based in reality. If Indy 4 went the same route you'd fall asleep after 10 minutes. Instead they kept a nice pace of action, some historical junk, and crazy ridiculous bullshit thrown at you from all sides. If you want to compare the evolution of a movie series over the years try Rambo. It's always been over the top action injected with a bit of the real world. The fourth one is similar to Indy in that it isn't even close to touching First Blood, but it blows Rambo 3 out of the water and rivals 2. (Crystal Skull blows away Temple, and is about as good as Last Crusade). In Rambo he's much older, a little slower, and probably more like the wild animal he portrayed in the first movie.

The more I think about it the more contradictions I find. You can't compare it to anything and remain fair. Indiana Jones is for kids and teenagers. I was 10 when I saw Last Crusade and then a couple years later saw Jurassic Park and KNEW I wanted to be an archaeologist when I grew up. Now I'm in my mid/late 20's and plainly see how crazy the stories are. They're full of scientific errors, cheesy acting, impossible feats, etc. I dunno what most kids like today. Maybe deep down it's the same because my girlfriend's youngest brother is 6 and he watches Raiders every day. I feel sorry for him thinking in a couple decades time he'll be too cool to like that stuff. He might become a cynical douche bag hanging out at Starbucks and watching foreign movies that aren't dubbed in English or even have subtitles because he's too sophisticated.

For the record, I think the new Star Wars trilogy and almost every Spielberg movie in the last 10 years was terrible. Lucas has gotten too kiddy and cartoonish, and Spielberg is up his own ass. Indy 4 managed to recapture much of what made them famous.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Well you may have convinced me to check it out... not sure though.

I understand the comparison is unfair. I was just trying to point out the right way to revive a character, and Rocky Balboa's quality mostly comes from the writing. Who knows, maybe they should have had Stallone write the screenplay..

I must break you Dr. Jones... Yo Marian!
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

ADRIAAAAAN
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I was also pretty apprehensive about seeing this, expecting a movie that attempts to ride the coat tails of the series instead of trying to stand on it's own feet. Hopefully I can rope in a bunch of people from school to go and see it, since we cover a nice range of ages with teenagers through to early 30's.

But I've heard alot of complaining about the plot and how silly it is, which tends to die when I mention knights of the crusade defending the holy grail that grants immortality...
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Sooooooooo.... Are there like really Aliens or was that a joke? Coz, not that I want to watch this shit anyway, I am slightly about to piss myself if it's true.
���������
Our Host!