The Burrows

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Metzer was trading slaves to the Enclave, but I don't think he was giving them chemicals.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

I think Fallout 2 had a better gameplay but fallout 1 coveyed the post-apocalyptic atmosphere much better.

I also played Fallout 2 before playing the first, i'm not sure why.
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Deathy wrote: Generally, I have seen that the people who think FO2 was the best, played it before Fallout.
Which is rather sad. My little brother did the same, and he didn't want to play Fallout because it lacked a take all button. Whenever i feel the need to smack him around i use that as an excuse.
Dan wrote:I think Fallout 2 had a better gameplay
Not exactly better gameplay, just an improved interface and better control of your followers. More or less pointless changes imo.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Rat Keeng wrote: Which is rather sad. My little brother did the same, and he didn't want to play Fallout because it lacked a take all button. Whenever i feel the need to smack him around i use that as an excuse.
I'd say that's an excuse to tie him up, stuff him in a sack, and throw him in a ditch somewhere in India.

I myself don't pathologically hate Fallout 2 like some other people around here do, but I do like Fallout 1 better. Mainly because of the Master, who was one of the greatest villains ever. I just loved that he wasn't really evil, but rather just a misguided soul who though he was helping humanity. I also liked when the mutants would say 'Human weapons cannot harm me!' and then get killed in one shot by my turbo plasma rifle...
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Spazmo wrote: I'd say that's an excuse to tie him up, stuff him in a sack, and throw him in a ditch somewhere in India.
Never bite the hand that feeds you. If i did that, i wouldn't have anyone to smack around.
I myself don't pathologically hate Fallout 2 like some other people around here do, but I do like Fallout 1 better.
I don't hate Fallout 2 either, if i did i wouldn't have played it through numerous times. It was just flawed.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Doyle wrote:Metzer was trading slaves to the Enclave, but I don't think he was giving them chemicals.
He was just easedropping on them, wasn't he? I think that's what Vic was saying, but it's been a long time since I've seen that dialogue. I don't particularly care for Vic, so I rarely get him.
------------------
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

I'm reasonably certain he was selling them slaves. That's why he wasn't selling any to anyone else, he was stockpiling them for the Enclave.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Not necessarily. I think it's possible that Metzger sold slaves to Vault City. While I do find the Enclave theory plausible, there's no proof in the game.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

I find that Vault City theory questionable. I don't recall hearing anything to support it, but we do know that the Enclave were buying slaves in large quantities for experimentation.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

I don't loathe Fallout 2, but compared to Fallout...just seems like a Frankenstein job. A lot of OSI's work ended up the same, too. It's fairly insulting for an artist to make something truly good, then someone else comes along and makes a ten month game that's passed off as a sequel.

As for playing order, I played the Fallout demo, first. :)
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

The problem with people who played FOT first is that playing one of the original fallouts is not very easy for them, it does look old, ugly and a messy interface compared to FOT. It requires a lot of concentration, patience and interest in the fallout universe to play through the original fallouts. Almost the same thing with Fallout -> Wasteland, if you're not a big fan of C64. :wink:

Gameplay and interface, however, should be no excuse when playing Fallout after you've completed Fallout 2 first. The games use the same engine and almost look identical.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

I've been thinking of something, if the source for Wasteland ever (hah!) gets released. Add in a gamepad interface and spruce up the interface a bit. Wasteland might have been a good NES release, come to think about it....
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Doyle wrote:I find that Vault City theory questionable. I don't recall hearing anything to support it, but we do know that the Enclave were buying slaves in large quantities for experimentation.
Well, if he's getting chemicals from Vault City, as Lara says, it's more likely that's where the slaves go. I think that's what he's saying.
Rosh wrote:I don't loathe Fallout 2, but compared to Fallout...just seems like a Frankenstein job. A lot of OSI's work ended up the same, too. It's fairly insulting for an artist to make something truly good, then someone else comes along and makes a ten month game that's passed off as a sequel.
Yup, the lack of time really hurt the quality of Fallout 2. Fallout 2 should have had a lot more thought put in to it, and a lot more communication from the designers to insure that is wasn't so "patchworked".
------------------
Rex Exitium
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Rex Exitium »

On the plus side, it isn't Daikatana.
Site Designer/Content Writer
RPG Codex - Putting the 'role' back in RPG
http://www.rpgcodex.com

Site Creator
http://www.rpgplanet.com/lionheart
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Hitler was a bad person, but on the plus side he wasn't Satan incarnate. Ok, that's pretty harsh, but you get the idea.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Rex Exitium wrote:On the plus side, it isn't Daikatana.
True, but Daikatana was an over-hyped Quake II mod.

Fallout 2 could loosely be called what some publishers term "trojan sequel".
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Rosh wrote:Fallout 2 could loosely be called what some publishers term "trojan sequel".
A "trojan sequel" as in, "they snuck it in," or as in, "I hope they wear a trojan when they stick it to me"? :mrgreen:

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Constipated BladeRunner »

:lol:
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

OnTheBounce wrote: A "trojan sequel" as in, "they snuck it in," or as in, "I hope they wear a trojan when they stick it to me"? :mrgreen:
Sort of both, really.

Usually it's in reference to a hacked together sequel that's meant to pass off as one.
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Sol Invictus »

Like Icewind Dale 2.
Administrator

Circle of Eight - Hellgate: London Resource Center
www.co8.org
Our Host!