Economic Stimulus Payments

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

liberal and conservative in what sense? classical definitions or current?

pretty much idealist anarchy though i do understand the nominal need for security nets.

ideally replace drug laws with a standardized system, privatize education eductaion/police/fire(pretty much done already with taxes)

no censorship governmentally

pretty much the standard party line
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

@Caleb (from 2 posts ago)

China has a huge counterfeit electronics industry.

But it's not empty boxes/fake phones.

It's real stuff that works- and often has extra features!

They are experts at getting around their own government.

Natural economic libertarians with that Confucian fascism to keep them stable and non-decadent.

A little Technocracy(1) could save the US empire, but we just don't have an intelligent enough culture. We have the individual people who are smart enough, and that is what we've been coasting on for a long while.

It's Not Enough.

Sure, real biodiesel (not that corn farce), printable solar cells, thermocouple heat recycling, next gen breeder reactors, artificial photosynthesis, etc. could easily fix the energy problem.
(So could just opening up the coal/oil/natgas rsvs.)

I don't think it's really an energy problem.

It's just Idiocracy.

Reason is not valued here.

(1)
Put 1/2% GDP to Energy tech/implementation, 1% Space, 1% Macroengineering, 1/2% Seas (Mobile Sea Bases/Seafloor mining/drilling/ etc.), 1/2% Skies (Dynalifter/airships/etc.), 1% Civdef (food/fuel/material stockpiles plus a hybridized welfare/civdef system with minifactories for dual-purpose emergency reconstruction/ self-sufficiency outside of regular economy. Then all the welfare/etc. money could go to just the disabled, old, sick/genuinely insane people. Surplus diverted to the medical system), 1/2% Rebuild Infrastructure (linked to welf/civdef system).

= 5% of GDP (Quite a bit of which would be capital investment.)

1/10 of the resources/$ in the listed categories would be diverted to environmental cleanup, remedial/vocational/technical education, and Emergency Services.

Fuck academic studies- Nobody Cares. (In US)

Yeah, I'm an idiot about how government and society really work.

I just want to see lots of cool high tech stuff and have a Vault Network.
Last edited by Redeye on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

What We Could Do But Will Not :stagnation:
:drunk:
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Caleb wrote:liberal and conservative in what sense? classical definitions or current?
Classical. pretty much only the US views liberals as lefties and conservatives as free-marked capitalists. When I mean liberal I mean 19th Century Manchester Liberalism. Proper non-party-line liberalism.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

I lean more towards classic liberalism... paraphrasing mill(i believe): what i do with my free time is my own damned business as long as it doesn't directly interfere with the rights of others.

and redeye: speaking of alt energy, have you heard about the sea turbines in one of the rivers in near york? Apparently they drop in torpedo shaped turbines to the bottoms of fast flowing rivers, and they manage to generate enough energy to power BLOCKS of the city each, at least thats what i recall hearing about it.

I do agree that we could fix things if we wanted but...it just doesn't seem to be a priority. seems like the currently society needs a good tragedy to cling to morally, like a victim game.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

@Caleb:

Yeah, we're just tards as a whole.

A pre-emptive BOS Morrow-Project style might be a good idea.

But it would have to have a really good sense of humour or I wouldn't join.

Too bad they screwed up Morrow Project (from the start) by putting in lasers, micro fusion power cells, time travel, etc.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

interesting, might have to check it out. the music is kind of tarded, but thats ok.

Been toying for about a year now with a story setting. I suck at writing novels so eh, but the setting would be outskirts of seattle, post oil. By post oil i mean we fucked up, we DIDN'T get a different energy source. Kind of like dies the fire except still electricity and all. Would be an interesting society...possibly still even have the internet, but it would have to be only local foodstuffs, etc. Odd thing is they'd have to have "guardians" for nuclear power/hydro power/internet centers and such, since long travel would not be possible. Who knows..maybe something similar will happen.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Reminds me of First Season Dark Angel.

2nd season is just horrible.

I've decided I hate cyberpunk.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

eh, never watched dark angel. Yeah...cyberpunk..well...changed abit, is the best i can say. Even gibson is sticking to more contemporary times. Love all the old gems but...anything new seems fairly cliche
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Dark Angel was about watching a young Jessica Alba, but other than that it's shite of course
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Stainless wrote:I don't know, I was pretty impressed with that Queen of Head chick. Whatever happened to Aonaran anyway? Ever since he hooked back up with her, haven't seen much of him.
Aw, I didn't know you cared....
my vocabulary skills is above you.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

You resurrect a 3 month old thread and don't even have nude photos of queen of head to show us? Shame on you.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

VasikkA wrote:You resurrect a 3 month old thread and don't even have nude photos of queen of head to show us? Shame on you.

I have no shame.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member
Location: DAC (YEA FUCKERS! WHAT'S IT TO YOU? HUH! HUH! , I Gotta go butt sex a nun now..

Post by Goretheglowingone »

just got $2,300 in my bank account... and a $900.00 check mailed to my home from go0d ol'uncle sam. U.S.A.!!! U.S.A.!! U.S.A.!!!
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

I just watched Pineapple Express last night and the stimulus check had nothing to do with it.

In fact, it went to paying my 3 grand I owed Uncle Sam.

Dammit.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Goretheglowingone wrote:just got $2,300 in my bank account... and a $900.00 check mailed to my home from go0d ol'uncle sam. U.S.A.!!! U.S.A.!! U.S.A.!!!

U.S.A.!!! U.S.A.!! U.S.A.!!!
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

VasikkA wrote:
Goretheglowingone wrote:just got $2,300 in my bank account... and a $900.00 check mailed to my home from go0d ol'uncle sam. U.S.A.!!! U.S.A.!! U.S.A.!!!

U.S.A.!!! U.S.A.!! U.S.A.!!!
That's probably true for every currency older than 100 years, though.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

VasikkA wrote:You resurrect a 3 month old thread and don't even have nude photos of queen of head to show us? Shame on you.
I share this disappointment.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

S4ur0n27 wrote:That's probably true for every currency older than 100 years, though.
Yah, I should have dug up more recent data.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

... havent the US dollar been sort of re-invented a couple of times. Used to be gold standard if im not mistaking. Now its paper worth shit. Huzzah! :drunk:
Our Host!