No Fallout 3 Demo

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

No Fallout 3 Demo

Post by Stainless »

<strong>[ Game -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Bethesda Softworks">Company: Bethesda Softworks</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>Pete Hines, of <a href="http://www.bethsoft.com" target="_blank">Bethsoft</a> (like no-one knows that already), mentioned in a <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net" target="_blank">Eurogamer</a> interview that there won't be a Fallout 3 Demo released.</p><blockquote><p><em>"And it doesn't really capture the fun of a game like an Elder Scrolls
or a Fallout, where you can go where you want and do what you want. So
no demo, sorry." </em></p></blockquote><p>While the rest of the latest Eurogamer interview isn't out yet, Eurogamer has an article on this part, which can be read fully <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=133899" target="_blank">here</a> </p><p>Thanks to <strong>cazsim83</strong> for the heads up.
</p>
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Demos are so 1998.

The consumer might actually get to evaluate the product prior to the purchase decision, which is not in the publishers' best interests.
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

For me, this completely underlines how lazy Bethesda is... How hard is it to make a demo, really?

I mean, you've got an area, you've got some content. I'm assuming that since they're designing a damn video game that they at least have those things in some form. You take the content and you put it in the area. Along the way you make sure that you have only so much of each thing available to the player and you come up with a half-way reasonable excuse for their not being able to leave the demo area. (Pro-tip: doors lock)

That's it. That's all you need. It doesn't need to be epic, hell, it doesn't even need to run properly. It's proof of concept and that's the whole point.

The developers seem to have this terrific aversion to doing anything that makes sense in their pushing of this game... I mean, we're what, four months from when it's supposed to be on shelves? We've got one video, twenty or so screenshots, and about nine-million preview writers who have been shown the same thing over and over for the past year and a half...

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but something smells rotten. Bethesda actually seems to be treating the game like they know that it's bad and they just don't want to talk about it anymore.

It just seems strange. Especially coming from Bethesda.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Well DUH. We all knew it would be shit, and what better way to hide it's shittiness than by making an awesome trailer and then selling a crap load on day 1 before anyone notices how shit it is.

Demos hurt sales compared to trailers. Look it up.

Better to lie about the game than to actually let people figure stuff out for themselves.

Bethesda are cunts.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Zetura Dracos wrote:It just seems strange.
Considering that not releasing a demo is the industry standard, how does this strike as surprising?

Demo is primarily a marketing tool. However, because of the much greater coverage, convenience and 'rhetorical freedom' of gaming media, promoting the game through media is a much more efficient way of increasing sales. Hence, the demo scene for video games is pretty much dead. Bethesda could release a demo, but, eh, what's the point?
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

I suppose that I wasn't particularly clear, which I guess just goes to show why me and early morning posting aren't friends...

What seems strange isn't the fact that there isn't going to be a demo (though I think their stated reasons for not releasing one sound particularly hollow) but the fact that we're four months or so from release and have seen almost nothing of the game.

There have been no game-play videos, almost no screen-shots (about twenty or thirty if I recall correctly), and until a couple of weeks ago when they started talking about Dogmeat, they had been recycling the exact same preview material/tech demo around to the news sites and magazines.

It seems unusual to me that a company that's as fond of long-term marketing gluts as Bethesda is would suddenly clam up on their current "A-list project." I'm even yet to see a print ad for it.

It just doesn't convey any substantial amount of confidence in the product by the developers themselves, no matter how much rhetoric Todd spouts.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

first off, they said F3 will only be about 50%-80% the size of Oblivion, and second, they said that F3 was just (hopefully I don't quote this wrong) "too big" to make a demo for.

Too big? But Oblivion's bigger?
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Re: No Fallout 3 Demo

Post by johnnygothisgun »

pete wrote:it doesn't really capture the fun of a game like an Elder Scrolls
or a Fallout
i guess i imagined the entire fallout demo
Nooke
I'm a little twat

Post by Nooke »

Fallout 1 had the most badass demo ever.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

best demo goes to Jagged Alliance 2 :dribble:
the Fallout demo is pretty darn dope, too ofc
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Nooke wrote:Fallout 1 had the most badass demo ever.
Totally. After I finished the game I went and downloaded the demo again to play it over. I liked how that stuff wasn't in the full game.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

I purchased Fallouts BECAUSE of the fallout 1 demo. It was so awesome that the inertia carried me through to Tactics.

FO3 demo = torrent.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

torrent?
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

i think hes making a joke about pirating it, susan
REVERANDPIP
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by REVERANDPIP »

Ahh fallout 1 demo, yes that was fun, massive replay value for me back then, so much blood and guts. Literaly sat for days playing over and over.

Does sound like FO3 could be a turkey, still gonna buy it though. If its shite ill trade it in ASAP.
Donkey Punch that hooker....
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

so you will trade in something that you have already given bethesda money for? Pirate it and if it is good then buy it. if it sux they don't deserve your cash. I am not and advocate of piracy, i onw about 70 originals dating all the way back to 1994 approx and all of them were bought after having had a go at each of them. except for like 3 must haves, ie hl2 cysis and a few star wars games.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

johnnygothisgun wrote:i think hes making a joke about pirating it, susan
that's what i thought, but then i also thought it made no sense
Our Host!