The Witcher

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Is it worth playing, Jonathan?
I played for about an hour, and really couldn't continue. I have to admit though, I didn't give it a fair chance. I hated the combat and how you had to run around so much so that was it for me. Still have it installed though.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

it was actually the same for me. i wasnt at all grabbed in the beginning but once i was about two hours in i was hooked, and still am. i dont know why people are griping about the omgawfulol dialogue. its really not bad, (especially given the quality of contemporary 'rpgs') the system for it is just slightly clunky. the combat is a little strange but it is well implemented, and at the very least very fun to watch
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

johnnygothisgun wrote:it was actually the same for me. i wasnt at all grabbed in the beginning but once i was about two hours in i was hooked, and still am. i dont know why people are griping about the omgawfulol dialogue. its really not bad, (especially given the quality of contemporary 'rpgs') the system for it is just slightly clunky. the combat is a little strange but it is well implemented, and at the very least very fun to watch
Indeed. Compared to, say, Oblivion, the dialogues are marvelous.
And the combat is awesome, just don't use the OTS point of view, go with the isometric one, and it's really quite fun. I actually like it; your hero(such a cool word) really is powerful and badass compared to common humans, it makes you feel quite powerful, much like being a jedi in KOTOR.
And the combat gets much more interesting once you advance after the second level in your techniques, and learn spells.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

all I read was the teaser at Gamestop - what are the (translated) books like? I do like to read the occasional fiction/fantasy book - albeit rarely...?
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

books are supposed to be great if you like that kind of shit.
I read Sapkowski's short stories back in the day when they were published in fantasy magazines and not made into novels; they kicked ass for me.
Later he gained a dedicated fandom and has the opinion of an original writer who came up with a world that is a good alternative for tolkienish stuff (based on Slavic folk mythology and some Polish history) and incorporates 'mature' themes in his books - like erotica, corruption etc. Geralt is a good protagonist, too.

I don't know how good the translations are.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

i don't think they're translated in french :cry:
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

they seem okay to me. this really is a pretty swell game. as far as crpgs go, we have not had one like this in a long time
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

johnnygothisgun wrote:they seem okay to me. this really is a pretty swell game. as far as crpgs go, we have not had one like this in a long time
it's a very satisfying game
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

I'll look into it - last I heard there were only 3 or 4 books translated (into English, not French)
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

I like that you get to have sex with heaps of redheads.

This is what CRPG's are all about.
PiP

Post by PiP »

right on :dance:
Goretheradiatingone
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Goretheradiatingone »

S4ur0n27 wrote:i don't think they're translated in french :cry:
give em a break, its hard to translate it to coward and white flags.
Last edited by Goretheradiatingone on Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PiP

Post by PiP »

what? D:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

The game itself is fine, but god damn it, it's linear!
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

yeah, but there are hardly a game that's not linear, nowadays
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Is it time again for the old "bland sandbox versus linear gameplay" discussion?
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

cazsim83 wrote:Is it time again for the old "bland sandbox versus linear gameplay" discussion?
There's the door buddy.

Use it.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

The story is good, the dilemmas are not black and white and the non-playable characters have depth. It's sometimes a real pleasure to discuss with some of them. The witcher is just one awful womanizer, to the point that it makes you think what on earth did the developers have in mind when they were making the game. I guess there were some very, very lonely men amongst them. Almost all female characters are wearing dresses straight out of Hustler and it takes either a handful of money or a few lines of chatter to get them in bed.

Combat is good once you get used to it. The small amount of items and truly unique skills or attributes bothers me sometimes, since customising and optimising your character is quite limited. Character progress is very slow and doesn't have many different outcomes, mostly just different shades of gray. Alcohol and dialogue actually serve a purpose, unlikely in most modern games. Most of the quests are solvable by use of simple logic and a bit of fool's luck - in "tougher" cases you tend to get almost too much guidance from the game journal / quest book itself. There's almost always several rather different solutions to all problems.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I plan on getting it but I'm either going to wait for the steam edition and just download those enhanced edition stuff or wait for a full package of the enhanced edition. I remeber running the demo and it just barely ran on my computer, hopefully some of the patches fix a bit of performance.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

It's glitchy for sure. I'm running it on all minimum settings and if I run through the level, it tends to lag every five steps or so. Quite annoying if you're fighting some tough enemy and you move during the swordfight and every five steps the screen "freezes" for a brief moment. Running on medium or custom settings does not make any difference, weird. Guess my rig's just so damn outdated.
Our Host!