Sega seeks publisher

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Sega seeks publisher

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

Well, while this wouldn't normally be news on this site, I noticed an interesting tidbit in <A href="http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/020709/tech_sega_4.html">this article</a> about Sega looking for publishers in the United States. Obviously, one of the ones rumored would be our good friends, <a href="http://interplay.com/">Interplay</a>. Here's a bit of it:<br><br><blockquote>The most "interesting opportunities" for potential acquisitions were among the <u>smaller, <b>listed</b> publishers that might provide development teams and intellectual property, such as rights to game franchises</u>, Bellfield said.<br><br>But, he added, "(I) can't confirm or deny any particular talks with any particular company at this point."<br><br>The smaller U.S. listed game publishers, include notable names like Acclaim Entertainment Inc.(NasdaqSC:AKLM - News), Midway Games Inc.(NYSE:MWY - News), <u>Interplay Entertainment Corp.(NasdaqSC:IPLY - News)</u> and 3DO Co. (NasdaqNM:THDO - News)<br><br>As of the close of trading on Tuesday, Acclaim had a market capitalization of $270.8 million, Midway had a capitalization of $196.7 million, <u>Interplay had a market value of $29.8 million</u> and 3DO's capitalization was $24.1 million.<br><br></blockquote>Well, if they want a <b>listed</b> publisher, they better hurry up and make a deal with <a href="http://interplay.com/">Interplay</a>, as they're not long for the list!<br><br>Oh, and in case you're wondering, <a href="http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=IPLY&d=v1">IPLY</a> is back down under the 30 cent mark, at <b>29 cents/share</b>.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Hey, the assholes of Titus meet the assholes at Sega. Both determined to fuck over their developers and grungefuck whatever they touch.

It's a match made in heaven!
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

I can see Titus selling Interplay to Sega too. After all, pretty much the main reason Titus bought Interplay in the first place was to sell it.
------------------
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

Sounds like Sega are trying to commit corporate Seppuku.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:I can see Titus selling Interplay to Sega too. After all, pretty much the main reason Titus bought Interplay in the first place was to sell it.
Then Titus has been doing a fairly shitty job of doing so. They've been pumping money into Interplay, selling pieces of it off, and making barely a dent into the debt while culling the production ability of the remaining parts.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

I think that's the reason they sold off those pieces, to remove the debt. Once the debt is gone, it's sellable.
------------------
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:I think that's the reason they sold off those pieces, to remove the debt. Once the debt is gone, it's sellable.
1. If there's anything left to sell.
2. If they don't fall into more debt in the meantime.
3. The history of Interplay being run into the ground is losing most sale potential. Likely it will be sold for comparatively very little.
Celt

Post by Celt »

I heard Sega were looking into buying Infogrames :)
Our Host!