Inside the Vault, 10th Anniversary Edition

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Inside the Vault, 10th Anniversary Edition

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Community -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game">Game: Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game</a>

<p>To mark the 10th anniversary of <em>Fallout</em>, the Bethblog has posted a small (but lengthy) <a href="http://bethblog.com/?p=285#more-285" target="_self">Q&A with a lot of the Fallout 3 team</a>.</p><blockquote><p><em>This week is a special Q&A for Inside the Vault in honor of the
10th anniversary of Fallout. One question. Lots of answers. We asked
the team: What did you like best about the original Fallout games? This
was a fun one to put together, a terrific read. Even a couple of
developers from our sister studio, Zenimax Online Studios, chimed in.</em></p><p><em><strong>Todd Howard, Executive Producer</strong>

It&rsquo;s always been the initial opening for me. It&rsquo;s one of the all-time
great intros. From the opening strums of the Ink Spots, Vault Boy
watering his plants while being locked in a Vault, Galaxy News, &ldquo;our
boys&rdquo; in Canada executing someone and waving at the camera, a car that
does 0 to 60 in .5 seconds with &ldquo;no electronics&rdquo;, the final pull-back
to a destroyed world, to the opening line of &ldquo;War. War never changes.&rdquo;
Within one minute, you&rsquo;re completely sold.</em></p><p><em><strong>Emil Pagliarulo, Designer</strong>

I loved the true open-endedness of the world, and the fact that I was
this lone guy in a completely unknown world, and had the power to shape
my own destiny in whatever way I saw fit. In Fallout, the Vault Dweller
could be anything I wanted. So in a lot of ways Fallout was the
progenitor of the &ldquo;sandbox&rdquo; game, and its principles have been
replicated in everything from Oblivion to Grand Theft Auto.</em></p><p><em><strong>Gary Noonan, Artist</strong>

The post apocalyptic theme/setting. Morbidly, it has always been a
strange fetish of mine to see the one thing that mankind was entrusted
to in ruins because of greed, power, and SUVs (had to add that one).</em></p><p><em>...<strong /></em></p><p><em><strong>Ashley Cheng, Producer</strong>

Bloody Mess perk, BB gun, Dogmeat. Replaying with different characters. Amazing open ended world to explore.</em> </p></blockquote>
<p>In addition, <strong>NMA</strong> has been updating their <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=39013" target="_self">Fallout 10th Anniversary page</a> with a lot of new stuff, so be sure to <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=39013" target="_self">check it out</a>. </p><p> </p>
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

:jerk:
���������
ixg
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by ixg »

I think, for me, it was the dark humor and the gory animations that really sucked me into the game and into its atmosphere. The immersive, open-ended world peppered with violent NPCs and dangerous encounters made me fall in love with Fallout the first time I played it, last week.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Fallout the progenitor of the sand box ? Why yes ! I too fondly remember the many hours of jumping repeatedly to and from Shady Sands to the Hub, both maxing out my contortions of logic skill, and gathering dozens of radscorpion parts to make into liquor and then sell to the addled and deformed. Delusional retroactive justifications make my nipples tingle fiercely. :drunk:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

.....I think I should be sad that Fallout was just compared to Oblivion in some vague obtuse manner.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Random Fallout 3 Developer
Fall-, what? We're making a sequel? Oh yeah, I loved it. Definitely.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Fuck you jerks and your "sandbox" buzzword. Don't you realise sandboxes are for kids to play and dogs to shit in? Wait, metaphorically speaking, it kinda makes sense...
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

Your platitudes mean nothing Bethesda. From us you shall receive naught but apathy or spite.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

a strange fetish of mine to see the one thing that mankind was entrusted to in ruins because of greed, power, and SUVs/quote

how deep B)
also, fetish, tell us more
Our Host!