vampire: bloodlines

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

vampire: bloodlines

Post by atoga »

no thread for this amazing game? got into it last week and i'm completely immersed in it; not since fallout have i played a game with every waking opportunity i have. while it's ultralinear (in a grand theft auto sort of way) and the beginning is horrendous dogshit, the dialogue and quest design both very good, all cinematic-like -- something truly rare. the midgame gives a warm fuzzy feeling of anticipation that a great climax is coming, hopefully it won't be let down by a typically shitty videogame dénouement

does anyone else like this game at all, or have my standards just been lowered over the years?

also any advice concerning mods, bueno strategies, etc. would be appreciated, as i will probably replay it soon.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

i dont think its very popular within the dac communtiy, but i really enjoyed it. i particularly liked how xp was only received as a quest reward, never through combat. also the dialogue was very well done. i dont remember what their name is, but if you play as the incurably insane breed of vampire you get all sorts of wacky dialogue options with inanimate objects like televisions and streetlights

the ending is pretty alright. the final boss fights arent that great, but the ending sequences are lots of fun to watch. i felt like they were perfectly fitting. the way the ending unfolds is particularly good, because its not your standard go-here-kill-him, there are some big choices to make as well as some great moments that flow like a good movie climax, which i will cite when youve finished the game
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

google "gamespot vampire bloodlines" they usually have decent reviews and good player input like walkthroughs, hints, etc
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

An amusing if inconsistent experience, over all. A tad irritating that last quarter degeneration into hackanhackanhack, despite the decent execution thereof and regardless of plot reasoning.

If you can stomach the cloying linearity, a replay with Malkavian and Nosferatu characters is highly recommended. In that order, probably. Both are quite entertaining, despite less favourable comparisons that could be drawn from the sauce. Oh well, perfection is nothing.

And if you haven't experienced blood boil at least once, Tremere (or just hack in the thaumaturgy to another clan). But that would be puerile, albeit giggly.

I'd recommend Wesp's unofficial patch, possibly the basic version if you're the sort who might find alterations rather than bug fixes egregious, unfounded and frivolous. I would also endorse Offkorn's (?) Pen and Paper modification (though for the game rule reworking rather than the option of playing Tzimisce) with the accompanying combat addition/tweak, though that may not be tea to you. Winningly, the unofficial patch and the modification are easily compatible.

An SDK was cobbled together quite recently, if I recall. Blank to how populous or tasty the fruit might be, though.

The remaining modifications and their ilk are mainly cosmetic.

Persuasion is king. :drunk:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Yea I liked it. The ends ranging from sub-par to acceptable, but overall I thought the game was pretty good. The very end is VERY linear though, despite you being able to choose who to side with, so be prepared Atoga.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I loved it. The last 3/4 of the game was shit though.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

I liked it allot at first, than it got too actiony.
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

The last half of the game was rushed, yay for publishers.

If they'd had the time to finish the game at their own pace, it'd be amazing. It probably also wouldn't be out.. But it'd be amazing..
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

cazsim83 wrote:google "gamespot vampire bloodlines" they usually have decent reviews and good player input like walkthroughs, hints, etc
You make my cranial juices leak through my ears
Serious Business.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Koki wrote:
cazsim83 wrote:google "gamespot vampire bloodlines" they usually have decent reviews and good player input like walkthroughs, hints, etc
You make my cranial juices leak through my ears
That's right, nigga. I'm Kermit Washington and you're Rudy Tomjanovich. Remember that shiite.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

You can't say the "N" word out of the wasteland under strict orders of flower puff cream-pie rainbow boy.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

i can only mod in GD, so say whatever you want here, sweetie. mad max might not like it, though, but he's hardly ever here anymore, is he?

anyways: i loved everything about bloodlines, even the combat. awesome game.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Re: vampire: bloodlines

Post by VasikkA »

atoga wrote:no thread for this amazing game?
I think the Bloodlines discussion was scattered over several threads.

It's like PS:T, but in 3d. The first half of the game is one of the most rich and immersive RPGs I've ever played. Some of the quests are simply brilliant. After playing Bloodlines, you can't help but to laugh at the quest design in every other CRPG. Patchwise, I recommend what Blargh just wrote, except I haven't tried the PnP mod, whatever it is.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

swell guy is Mad Max's favorite word.

http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewt ... sc&start=0
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

looks like you're in the clear, then. have fun.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Re: vampire: bloodlines

Post by PiP »

I liked Bloodlines quite a bit. Perhaps they could use more (varied) char models and make bigger environemnts to lessen the 'fake world' feel I had, but meh - it's a very good game regardless. Oh and I agree with Blarggy on the "A tad irritating that last quarter degeneration into hackanhackanhack" part.
VasikkA wrote:
atoga wrote:no thread for this amazing game?
I think the Bloodlines discussion was scattered over several threads.
yeah something like that. We discussed it fo sho B) but it's good to have a separate thread for this.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Malkavian fucking rocked. and RIP masquerade...the new requiem thing or whatever sucks.

Bloodlines on a whole was very enjoyable, again until the end. I felt the boss fights were alright, but that they kind of rushed the end, and at times the lack of options and severe linear fights were disappointing.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

I wassnt to big a fan of the story, but the characters and setting was ok. Malkavian did indeed rock.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Theres lots of unofficial patches that get released for the game like every month that are probably recommended.

Basically I agree with what everyone already said, good until the last quarter. I might replay it sometime soon since you got my juices flowing.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

the women, this blonde one, in the puff, was kinda nice on the screenshots, too bad my graphic card is and was too lame to render all of her polygons in real time.
Our Host!