Duck and Cover Forum Index

Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs.
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 Interview with Pagliarulo at GameTap View next topic
View previous topic
JHMN
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[ Game -> Interview ] - More info on Person: Emil Pagliarulo | More info on Game: Fallout 3

GameTap has done a long interview with Emil Pagliarulo. Short excerpt:

GameTap: Obviously, the Fallout series has its share of fans that are expecting a certain look and gameplay mechanics out of Fallout 3, but how do you take that into account while making the game accessible to someone that has never even heard of the series before?

Emil Pagliarulo: As for look, Fallout has some amazing art direction, thanks to our lead artist, Istvan Pely. The game has that classic Fallout vibe--it’s postapocalyptic, yet mixed with the remnants of pseudo-1950s sci world.

For the player--and for right now, that player is me, testing the game--it’s just an incredibly visually interesting world to explore. You know, you’re walking down an abandoned street...you pass through a blown-out wall of one building, climb up some rubble to get onto a low roof...and then, in the distance, you see the destroyed Washington Monument. It’s pretty surreal. I don’t think any player is going to have trouble “getting” or appreciating the setting, not by a long shot.

Now, as far as mechanics are concerned, Fallout 3 definitely is a lot different than the previous games. In that regard, it’s much more accessible. It’s first- and third-person, and it will be pretty easy to pick up and play, whether on the console or the PC. This, in my opinion, is one of the best things about the game. I mean, if you’ve played a game in the last 10 years, playing Fallout 3 will be second nature. (...)

GameTap: I never played the game all the way through this way, but I will admit that in Fallout 2, I mucked with my character's stats and did a good few hours with a character of intelligence of 2 or something, and it was interesting seeing the reactions to my character’s mental deficiencies--I couldn't even speak, I just grunted. I’ve heard that in Fallout 3 intelligence doesn’t affect dialogue, that it’s almost all in speech or charisma. Is there a specific reason? Why can’t I wander around as some sort of nuclear cro-magnon?

Emil Pagliarulo: It really all comes down to the best way to balance our resources and our time, and concentrate on the things that really matter. Throughout the game, the player has so many choices, so many ways to define their character, we don’t want to get hung up on something like that.

Read: GameTap's interview with Emil Pagliarulo

Spotted @ Briosafreak's Fallout 3 Blog

DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Haha, so dumb characters have exactly the same dialogue options as smart characters. This shit gets worse and worse, i wish i could turn back the hands of time. Now the next thing they tell us is, that you can´t fuck a prostitute in the ass, a well known feature of the Fallout series, as some of you might remember.
Dreadnought
I lied
I lied

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Emil Pagliarulo regarding speech options not getting affected by INTELLIGENCE and the reason for that wrote:
It really all comes down to the best way to balance our resources and our time, and concentrate on the things that really matter.

Thanks and good night. icon_bong
Maximous
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

JHMN wrote:
[ Game -> Interview ] .... I mean, if you’ve played a game in the last 10 years, playing Fallout 3 will be second nature. (...)

...Briosafreak's Fallout 3 Blog

Instead of Maturity Ratings...what about an IQ-RATING.

IQ-Rating = No IQ Requried
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You need one more assman.
Dreadnought
I lied
I lied

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The whole INT dialog options thing is old news, I think the rest of the inverview the things he says are more or less in cotrast to the picture Todd and Pete have been painting with their own shit and a wide brush and therefore more worthy of conversation.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

icon_dribble
Dreadnought
I lied
I lied

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a fucking headache of this shit I posted up there lol.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

DaC-Sniper wrote:
Haha, so dumb characters have exactly the same dialogue options as smart characters.

that's old news, and it's also perfectly understandable in a fully voiced game.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fallout 3 wrote:
*Rumors
*Brotherhood of Steel
*Gray Fox
*Bye

What's Emile talking about? there's plenty of dumb dialogue in the game!

Last edited by VasikkA on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Whether you believe him or not there are alot of things in this article that you can hold him to his word on, for example:

- Use of dialog to resolve all quest related situations in place of combat including the "end boss"
- Prevalence of moral gray area in quests contrasting the black and white nature of the Megaton quest (still puzzles me why this was in the demo, let alone the first goddamned town in the game)
- Actual mention of Melee combat (why has it taken this long to hear word 1 about melee?)
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

One more feature of an RPG, gone. What is the point of intelligence if it serves no major function?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Redeye
I lied
I lied

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

fallout ranger wrote:
One more feature of an RPG, gone. What is the point of intelligence if it serves no major function?

Qualification for science perks?

Individual things could still be tagged to it.
fallout ranger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

But still no major function, like speech. Possibly the most important thing in Fallout.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Redeye
I lied
I lied

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

fallout ranger wrote:
But still no major function, like speech. Possibly the most important thing in Fallout.

Yeah, I'm gonna miss ::Snargle!::
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I dont think hes saying that int doesn't affect dialog, I think he just means that they aren't going to go through the game and make a retarded view of all the dialog for someone who picks an INT of 1. Having an INT of 1 will just limit your dialog choices, I would think. It kinda sucks knowing that the dialog won't be supper dynamic but It's perfectly understandable with the big budgets and shit. The retard dialog was just a small part of FO1 or FO2.

Edit: NVM i didn't read all of the second questions because Draudnaught fucked up the thread.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Emil Pagliarulo: How do you know there is an end boss, huh? Huh?!

because it's a console game and you've already revealed you have mini-bosses. (awful ones at that)...
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
SenisterDenister
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh shit! Its the Super Master that spawned from another FEV Lab!

I think they aligned the BOS with the Enclave in FO3, because otherwise the BOS never would have made it out east without vertibirds and the Enclave never would have survived without reinforcements (in this case via Brotherhood of Steel). Which is stupid because neither one liked each other in FO2.

What pisses me off though is why they couldn't just use everything from Van Buren.

Last edited by SenisterDenister on Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

because it was already out there and they wanted to take the game in their "own direction" ...

Anyone else thinking that DADDY will be the big foozle at the end of the game and he'll be MASTER REDUX?
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic