Pagliarulo wants to explain some things

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
JHMN
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Pagliarulo wants to explain some things

Post by JHMN »

<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Emil Pagliarulo">Person: Emil Pagliarulo</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>Emil Pagliarulo has written a post explaining his words:</p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><p><em>Wow, I didn't realize the comments I made in that 1Up interview -- you know, about dialogue -- would cause such a stir! Mostly because I didn't realize I had chosen my words so poorly. Ugh.

I was specifically answering the question about whether or not dialogue affects the endgame. It doesn't -- not directly. The endgame itself doesn't change based upon things you may or may not have said in dialogue. The endgame is affected by your actions. So that's what I meant by, "We went back and forth with the impact of dialogue on the character, and ultimately decided we didn't want to penalize or reward the player for carrying on a conversation." And yeah, that was a pretty bad choice of words, because it seems like the things you say in dialogue don't matter -- and nothing could be further from the truth.

Believe me or not, but here's the reality of dialogue in Fallout 3: it does matter. It matters more than dialogue in one of our games has ever mattered. I feel really comfortable saying that, because one of my responsibilities is editing and directing all the dialogue that gets written, and one of my personal crusades is pushing the NPC interactions to be more meaningful. We approached that level in Oblivion -- now I really feel like we've truly reached it.

So yes, you do get to roleplay through dialogue: sometimes, how you say something is just as important (and enjoyable) as what you say. Yes, you can ask different NPCs different things, in different ways. Yes, a lot of times your skills and attributes (besides just Speech) will open up new dialogue options. And yes, what you say in dialogue will matter. Act like a wiseguy, and an NPC may attack you, or refuse to deal with you. Treat an NPC with respect, and maybe he'll be more willing to talk to you.

Of course, in the true spirit of Fallout -- in which the NPCs themselves have personalities -- it really depends on who you're dealing with. NPCs, like people, have their own quirks and preferences. Take a bold approach with the right NPC, and she may like you even more. Play the weakling with the wrong guy, and you may just tick him off. So, indirectly, dialogue affects the ending of the game in the sense that it can open or close quest paths, which in turn can lead the player to perform good or bad actions, which in turn determines the player's karma rating... which does factor into the endgame. I hope that clears things up a bit.

Overall, our goal with dialogue is to craft unique, meaningful interactions with the NPCs. We want the player to feel like he or she is having a conversation with a person -- not clicking on an information kiosk. Our designers have fully embraced that philosophy, and the game's dialogue reflects that. I really do think you'll be happily surprised when you play the game.</em></p></blockquote><p>Read: <a href="http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index ... ry10837831" target="_blank">The thread containing this post
</a></p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums">Bethesda Forums</a></p>
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Re: Pagliarulo wants to explain some things

Post by PiP »

Emil wrote:Act like a wiseguy, and an NPC may attack you, or refuse to deal with you
hey, I thought it's good to be wise D:

seriously tho, this (what he wants to get through with wath he's saying) sounds better.

except
NPCs, like people, have their own quirks and preferences. Take a bold approach with the right NPC, and she may like you even more. Play the weakling with the wrong guy, and you may just tick him off.
we'll be most probably able to identify the one gal and one guy to whom he's refering D:
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Let`s be optimistic.

It`s gonna suck.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

DaC-Sniper wrote:Let`s be optimistic.

It`s gonna suck.
So, what else is new?
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I definitely call bullshit. Dialogue has nothing to do with anything... maybe you won't be able to access some extra missions if you're an ass but as long as you stay on the path provided you should get there safely. Whatever, this has always been an action game.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Re: Pagliarulo wants to explain some things

Post by johnnygothisgun »

emil wrote:I really do think you'll be happily surprised when you play the game.
i hope so, hombre
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

I like what he says about dialogue, but I really don't expect much apart from a railroad with a few hidden options. I suspect the story will be EPIC whatever you do.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

We've heard this before, and unfortunately, we've played this before.
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

After Fallout 3 release... : "Which F3 dev lied the most?"
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member
Location: DAC (YEA FUCKERS! WHAT'S IT TO YOU? HUH! HUH! , I Gotta go butt sex a nun now..

Post by Goretheglowingone »

those devs must not know who there dealing with,
us Fallout fanatics and fans are the most hardcore
and intellectual gamers in the world, and where
fanatically mean to.
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

Goretheglowingone wrote:those devs must not know who there dealing with,
fanatically mean to.
You're right. And our primitive brutish behavior is just to lead all the people in a wrong direction.

But better being a brute than a swell guy.... :NMA: :drunk:
���������
Pherdnut
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Post by Pherdnut »

I'm usually something of an optimist about FO3 but that line about Oblivion's dialoge approaching something meaningful wasn't encouraging.
PiP

Post by PiP »

Goretheglowingone wrote:those devs must not know who there dealing with,
fanatically mean to.
get a grip kid
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Please, everyone, stop being optimistic... this world is evil, let's all be emo. :(
���������
Speed_demon
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Speed_demon »

emo? get outta your little sisters jeans and cut your wrists like a good little beyotch :evil_laugh:

Fact of the matter is, it won't be exactly what anyone wants, thats the problem with comprimise. I hope they don't make it so far from what I want that I stop playing on my pc completely.

I played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. all the way through 3 times, first vanilla, then with Failkes, then with basix monstrosity... not a bad game... but not completely amazing.

I want to play the F3 demo these boys are writing about, maybe it could calm my deep twisted suspicions that in a year when F3 is released the words "WTF! this isn't FALLOUT!!!" echos my halls
Adventuring in the wasteland on a daily basis
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Luckily, we still have Fan Made Fallout to look forward to.

:hahano:
Our Host!