RPGCodex lists facts

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
JHMN
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

RPGCodex lists facts

Post by JHMN »

<strong>[ Game -> Article ]</strong> - News related to <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/archives.php ... ry=19">Top Story: Fallout 3 Previews</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

Vault Dweller has selected and listed quotes from the Fallout 3 previews in order to collect all the importnat information about the game - go and check the <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/index.php" target="_blank">RPGCodex</a> <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=157" target="_blank">'Fallout 3 exhibition'</a>.<p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com">RPG Codex</a></p>
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Another pseudo-funny comedy piece by RPG Codex. Gee, what'll they come up with next?
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

The Codex is pretty much as biased as the previews they're mocking, except the other way.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

awesome-looking mushroom clouds

portable nuclear shelter (which costs a quarter to use and looks like a phone booth)

shopping cart on his back to keep corpses in

The feature is essentially a more detailed version of the combat system in Knights of the Old Republic
���������
VDweller
Regular
Regular

Post by VDweller »

Mr. Teatime wrote:The Codex is pretty much as biased as the previews they're mocking, except the other way.
Based on what? Not being as open-minded as you are? Yeah, let's give Bethesda a chance and hope that somehow it will be a great game.

In case you didn't notice my article lists the few positives that are known about the game. My last newspost is also mostly focused on Gavin promising a lot of choices and consequences, which sounds great to me, if true.

Unfortunately, the ratio of stupid shit to promising stuff is 100:1, but hey, let's hope that it will be a great "gaem".
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Mr. Teatime wrote:The Codex is pretty much as biased as the previews they're mocking, except the other way.
'
it's presented pretty tongue in cheek. also they bring up some good points, such as why the fuck would you be playing CoD and Halo for tips on gunplay in an RPG?
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

that may indeed be the case, but at least the codex tries to look objective. my impression of the codex is that allthough sarcastic remarks run rampant even on the front page, the posts themselves are always based on direct developer quotes or actual, veryfiable information. as opposed to the gaming press in general, where every other news bit tries to tell us that poop is new wee.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

VDweller wrote:Based on what? Not being as open-minded as you are? Yeah, let's give Bethesda a chance and hope that somehow it will be a great game.
Your mockery is alright, adds a personal style to da newsposts, though the whole codex copys that behavior, kinda like little VD`s spreading all over dat place. KoC don`t wants to see dat bashing and mockery, so the users can make up their own mind and add their part. :battle of ideologys:
VDweller
Regular
Regular

Post by VDweller »

The Codex has been this way before I joined the site as a regular member. I'd say that's what attracted me to it and made me stick around. I'm glad that folks appreciate my sense of humor, but I'm not nearly as good as Saint or Spazmo.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

it`s good to know someone continues the old traditions, unlike Bethesda.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

The Codex's desperation has always amused me. How weak and life-less they must be.

Fallout 3 will suck, get over it. It will be nothing but a hardware tester for pre-teens.

VD, did you and your big bad staff ban anyone lately?
VDweller
Regular
Regular

Post by VDweller »

TNP wrote:The Codex's desperation has always amused me.
Always? You seemed to enjoy the site before you got banned. Anyway, what desperation is that?
VD, did you and your big bad staff ban anyone lately?
a) It's not my staff
b) I've never banned anyone for more than a few days
c) I don't have anything against you.
d) You were banned because you promised Shagnak, who was offended by your neo-Nazi posts, to stop your "Free Hitler!" campaign, but broke your promise using an alt. Blame nobody but yourself.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Maybe it's the impression I get reading the posts on the forums. There's only so much cynicism I can take.

NMA's FO3 preview was pretty good in that respect, highlighting positive along with the negative. And to be fair, you did talk about the choice and consequence. It's just, I dunno, a general vibe.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Bethesda Ass Rapes Fans! Read All About It!

Post by cazsim83 »

VDweller wrote:The Codex has been this way before I joined the site as a regular member. I'd say that's what attracted me to it and made me stick around. I'm glad that folks appreciate my sense of humor, but I'm not nearly as good as Saint or Spazmo.

You got that right, Calamity Jane.

The wonderful world of Fallout 3

There are many articles dedicated to Fallout 3, discussing topics like "Where is all the role-playing at?" and "Why is it called a Fallout game again?". My answer is - who cares. If you are a passionate gamer like me, you can't wait to play this game and want to know about it as much as possible.
--I am a passionate gamer, but unlike you I don't like to see Fallout desecrated, thank you very much. My answer? I care.

Life in Vault 101, where your journey begins

Oh haha! 101 like beginning, or learning in school! Oh that's so witty! Tell it again.

The idea of a gang fits perfectly well into the vault concept and goes to show how good Bethesda is at designing things.

That's true. I'm sure my 15 year old brother couldn't come up with a gang in a small enclave.

Gaming Trend: "...a local ‘greaser’ gang called the “Tunnel Snakes� giving a friend of yours grief because her father is the overseer."

Um, this guy's a paranoid bastard but he doesn't know a bunch of hoods are assholes to his daughter? Um....okay.

NMA: "As the PC leaves, the guards cry out "he's opening the door!" and call for someone to warn the overseer, draw their batons, but don't really do anything otherwise."
How radiant.

Yeah, radiant. A Fallout game would've had them at least chase you 'til you left the map.

You're no longer alone in the harsh, post-apocalyptic world. You have a father and not just any father. He's a scholar and a gentleman

I want my mommy.

Worthplaying: "......your father, one of the most important people in Vault 101..."

THen why the hell did the paranoid Overseer let him go???

Emil: "So take the relationship with "my" father. He's my moral compass..."

Bastard that he is.

Emil: "Fallout 3 is really strongly character driven, and we really concentrate on the relationship between the player character and his/her father, voiced by Liam Neeson."

How 'bout concentrating on making it a fucking Fallout game, please?
fake edit - *sorry, language*

Pete: "What was so important? Why did he leave me behind? What did he need to go and do? Where is he?� These are the questions you ask yourself and these are your reasons for leaving the Vault and venturing out into this post-nuclear wasteland."

Um, I thought you left because the Overseer hated you?

We wanted the relationship as a central point of the plot, so we don't want you to be able to say, piss off your dad and ruin the plot."

Um, yeah, cause that's real Fallout. If I really am the "scourge of the wasteland" why wouldn't I kill my dad? A Boy Named Sue tried.

"Nice hat, Calamity Jane!" at them. And then empty your magazine in their direction.

okay, that actually was mildly funny.

Todd: "...and conversations with NPCs use a similar [to Oblivion] style of dialogue tree..."

Um, yeah, that's the problem.

NeoGAF: " Poor INT will NOT affect your dialogue choices."

Oh wow! Just the original Fallout games!!!

Emil: "We went back and forth with the impact of dialogue on the character, and ultimately decided we didn't want to penalize or reward the player for carrying on a conversation."

GOt your foot stuck in your mouth there, didn't ya?

Pete: "But obviously, when you're talking about supermutants, dialogue really isn't a viable option."

Why the hell not?

Pete: "Well, you'll see that Science for instance can allow you to give a scientific explanation and to use that knowledge in dialogue. This will be very technical and not reliant on your Speech skill. The same is true for Repair and so on. So you'll be able to use those as well."

Um, okay. Intelligence and Speech skill: The difference between saying "Quantum mathematics and physics dictates blah blah blah" and "See, our problem is like this: *My high school physics teacher - Genius AND Silver-Tongued*

Gaming Trend: "Todd was quite tired of playing the nice guy and remarked to the sheriff “Nice hat Calamity Jane�. Our sheriff turned surly rather quickly and warned “This is my town – you so much as breathe wrong and I’m gonna fucking end you.�"

And in Fallout 2 I would whip out my shottie and blast him at that point.

Everything is nuclear: cars, catapults, and even can openers. Any malfunction and KABOOM! Instant mushroom cloud in your weed.

Um....yeah, cuz can openers can explode because of radiation, y'know??

Games Are Fun: "Another element in battle is radiation. By blowing up objects in the environment (resulting in some really awesome-looking mushroom clouds), you'll release radiation into the surrounding area and damage all living things, enemies and friends alike."

Except BoS soldiers I suppose (see farther in original article)

*at this point, I will only mock certain points instead of all of them for time's sake and my hand is getting cramped*

portable nuclear shelter (which costs a quarter to use and looks like a phone booth)

God bless techology.

at the feet of the behemoth, making light work of the creature – it only took 5 nukes.

5 nukes? What a pushover.

NMA: "At the end of the fight, a BoS soldier in the visual explosive radius of the Fatman (though apparently taking no damage from it) simply shoulders his assault rifle the moment the bomb hits..."

see above comment about stupid shit.

Guns to make the world a better place

Guns. Guns never change... Well, they kinda did, to be honest. It's a known fact that technological limitations prevented the original Fallout designers from including nuclear catapults, gravity guns, and silent, buy deadly Barbie-Head launchers. Now we can finally enjoy a Fallout game as it was meant to be.

Fuck you. It was not meant to be that way you uneducated piece of shit.
"kinda did"? Fuck you.

Emil: "There are the Fallout weapon skills: big guns, small guns, energy weapons, melee, unarmed which are all fully exploited, so we have weapons for them all."

Oh yay! The other Fallout games were SO lacking in that department!

mesmetron - Three words: WTF???

"Lunch Box Explosive,"

This might be the only cool thing I've heard of.

Suck-o-Tron

Couldn't have said it better myself, Bethesda.

If you can't kill a mutant with 5 nukes, try throwing a Barbie head at him. It's so crazy it just might work.

OH FUCK! How can I kill this badass Super Mutant!?!?!? Oh I know, a Barbie head at the groin! Oh wait, groin shots aren't allowed anymore. Damn.

Do It Yourself: Upgrade and Repair!

Here you can learn all you need to know about maintaining and improving your equipment. We can't teach a country bumpkin like you how to attach a scope to your rifle, but we can show you how to make a shiny daedric mace using nothing but an old chair leg, a bowling ball, and some silver paint.

My sentiments exactly. I've skipped mocking this part because I've deemed it beneath me. It's way too fucking easy.

Of course, more often than not their business is figuring out a way to put you out of business. Permanently.

At least that sounds like the Fallout I remember.

Emil: "Your biggest foes in the game are these super-mutants that are invading the world and are in a constant battle to push humans out."

So where's the Master you dumbfucks?

NMA: "Pete Hines also notes conversations with supermutants aren't an option, and they are presented in the demo simply as evil, swarming enemies."

Sounds like the whole team at Bethesda to me.

the Behemoth. carrying a shopping cart on his back to keep corpses in, Hines explains that this is the "boss creature for the supermutants," who can deal and take tons of damage."

OMFG It's so scary I'm going to shit myself help help help!

, "the noble knights of the wasteland" who are trying to drive out the supermutants.

Do you have the option of assisting the mutants??

NMA: "Still in Springvale, a giant ant with kind of horned-looking skin (about halfway between the size of Fallout 2's ants and Fallout's radscorpions) runs up from a distance..."

OMG so original! How DO they do it!?

Gaming Trend: "A local station called Enclave Station played one of the 20+ licensed tracks from the 40s..."

Beat the hell out of them on an oil rig, and they turn to running a radio station. Riiiiiight......

your PIPBoy can play holodiscs just as it could before,

What? I'm sorry, did you say that you kept an original idea from the Fallout series? You're lucky you didn't get fired!

My buddy Gavin who actually played the game says so, and he sure knows what he's talking about.

Fucking jewboys.

Every aspect of the game should have choice and consequence. Even choices like picking your character's stats."

Fallout was SO missing that option before!!! This is gonna be schweet!

Gavin: "Each quest has multiple paths to completion, and how you choose to complete one quest can affect what quests are available later on."

...too easy.

, "or you can join in, call her fat, make her all sad..."

Okay, that really is funny.

. In short - meaningful options and real choices, and interesting characters to interact with - in that respect, I think Bethesda is appropriately emulating some of Fallout’s best and most distinctive features.

Yeah, blow something up or don't, kill someone or don't. That about sums it up guys.

And that place has new quests, it has new items that you wouldn't have gotten."

You mean like New Reno and the gangs? Military Base, anyone?

Fargoth's Gold

Okay, WTF does that mean?

. We’re not trying to reward players who are good at Call of Duty or Halo or whatever."

Yes you are, bitches.

Emil: "..we have V.A.T.S., the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System. Using this system, you can pause the action and make important tactical decisions."

Um, you mean turn-based combat? Oh, sorry, I forgot....

Pete: "V.A.T.S. was really born out of a desire to make the game work best as a first-person game..."

and because you're bitches, just say it.

Emil: "Interestingly, what we've found is that we're really bitches.

THANK YOU!

you may see and experience strange things falling under the "crazy shit" category. Don't freak out, these things are completely normal and happen all the time in this exciting new world.

Yeah, like hand-held nukes!

Worthplaying: "For example, a city called Megaton was built around a crater where a nuclear bomb fell but never detonated.

I'm really getting tired of that bitch-ass city.

Pete: "...it's really just a tomorrow-land version of the 50s that’s all blown to hell!

That opinion right there is why we Fallout fans know we've been ass-raped before your game even comes out.

– that’s ‘the shtick’ of it..."

Oh hahahahah you're SO witty, friend.

Hines notes "water from the toilet actually has the least amount of radiation per health,"..."

Note to self: Drink shitty water because it's healthier. Check.

One of the biggest concerns of the Fallout fanbase was the fate of the beloved SPECIAL system.

The other concern was that you're a bunch of crack babies.

but you can collect bobble heads found throughout the game to bump the stats up a bit.

Yeah, because that makes sense.

Gaming Trend: "Everything appears tracked, just like previous titles, including corpses eaten, locks picked, Mysterious Stranger visits, and much more."

Yeah because I loved eating corpses in the first few games too.
VDweller
Regular
Regular

Re: Bethesda Ass Rapes Fans! Read All About It!

Post by VDweller »

cazsim83 wrote:--I am a passionate gamer, but unlike you I don't like to see Fallout desecrated, thank you very much. My answer? I care.
Fuck you. It was not meant to be that way you uneducated piece of shit.
Fuck you.
I assume you've never heard about RPG Codex.
Fargoth's Gold

Okay, WTF does that mean?
I'm glad you asked. Fargoth's Gold was the name of a reasonably well designed Morrowind quest. It was shown to all magazines and presented to gamers as a proof that Morrowind is the second coming of Jesus. It was the ONLY quest of that caliber and depth in the game. Nobody could believe that Bethesda would actually make a heavily scripted quest, not representing the actual game in any way, only to parade it around and get rave previews.

Then Bethesda pulled the same shit with heavily scripted Oblivion demos, pretending that all that scripted shit is AI in akshun.

So, now when Bethesda does the same with Megaton, talking about the options and consequences, it's hard not to think of MW and wonder if all quests have choices & consequences or just Megaton, brought to you by Bethesda's PR.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

VDweller wrote: Based on what? Not being as open-minded as you are? Yeah, let's give Bethesda a chance and hope that somehow it will be a great game.
Interesting. It's too bad Bethesda has never, one time, made an acceptable role playing game. I started yelling at you out of sheer hatred for bethesda before I realized what the fuck was going on. I'm like WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT GIVING WHO oh wait, it's a joke.

For fucks sake, man.

I fucking hate the goddamn elder scrolls, but not so much for how bad they were/are but for how they had something that could have been "okay" going, and then fucking injected shit into it's face with a heart spike and made you tongue kiss it.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

VDweller wrote:but I'm not nearly as good as Saint or Spazmo.
Where the fuck is Saint (And Spazmo)? I miss them =(.

Also, since no one else said it, I kinda enjoyed the article? Didn't know they were playing halo and CoD when they were making VATS.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

One of my main FO3 worries is the lack of moral ambiguity. So far it seems everything is good or evil or neutral, where neutral = 'shades of grey'. Whereas to me, shades of grey means that choice X could be evil but could be good - has consequences that go in both directions.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

So far from what I've heard in examples, "Neutral" just means walking away and not receiving any experience for it.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

I can't stay mad at VD, the guy's a genius. Too bad half the Codex hates him with a passion. I'll never understand those people.
Our Host!