NMA at Games Convention

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
JHMN
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

NMA at Games Convention

Post by JHMN »

<strong>[ Game -> Preview ]</strong> - News related to <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/archives.php ... ry=19">Top Story: Fallout 3 Previews</a> | More info on <a href="#No Mutants Allowed">Community: No Mutants Allowed</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>Brother None and SuAside visited Leipzig and had an opportunity to take a look at F3 demo and talk to Pete Hines:</p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right: 0px"><p><em>The result?

A long 2-page step-by-step walkthrough of the entire demo, a conclusion page in which our intrepid reporters discuss what to like or dislike about various elements, final conclusions and as a bonus a 12-page Q&A with Pete Hines.</em></p></blockquote><p>Read: <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=38620" target="_blank">Preview</a> & <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=38623" target="_blank">Interview</a></p>
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

What a short newspost for TEH BIGGEST BIT OF NEWS OF THE CENTURY

HYPE HYPE
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

12 page Q&A? Did they even know that they were talking to the people behind NMA?
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I rather enjoy the brevity of JHMN's posts, saves me from a wall of text. Also, I like the preview. Just as a quick question, were you trying to stay as positive as possible while writing the article, cause it seemed like you wanted to say alot more damning comments but couldn't for the sake of proffesionalism/what have you?
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:12 page Q&A? Did they even know that they were talking to the people behind NMA?
Should be 12 question. My bad.
Just as a quick question, were you trying to stay as positive as possible while writing the article, cause it seemed like you wanted to say alot more damning comments but couldn't for the sake of proffesionalism/what have you?
Well, I didn't really push myself for that, but I did try to be "fair," in the sense that some things looked REALLY stupid, but I realised that "this could just be for the demo" and could be totally different in the final game. The high density of humor and violence, the unfinished graphical look, kinda hard to crack down on considering this is a very early build
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Brother None, you are officially the shit. You almost single-handedly gave a better representation of the demo than all of the magazines combined. You're questions were focused and finally represented the voice of the devoted fan. Thank you. Awesome. and between you and me, you think Pete was full of shit?

and somehow you made the combat seem quite awesome.

EDIT:
"The following struck me as an obviously scripted event, though I could be wrong. The robot exits the room and bumps into the mutants, asking them for their tickets, apparently because they're approaching the turnstiles. They stand at about 5 feet distance of the robot, point and laugh going "foolish robot" and "let's tear off its arms" with kind of gruff, gravelly voices. The robot's right hand double as a laser, and he uses it to shoot down both offending mutants. Imagine this as him having three mechanical fingers on the end of his arm, and the "palm" of this hand is where he shoots from. The PC then moves right past the robot without any reaction from the Protectron."

That is just dumb.. I think that's the word that best describes that.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
bozar
SDF!
SDF!

Post by bozar »

while the other mutant, armed with a Chinese assault rifle
Supermutants can use small guns now?
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Using your Sneak skill to obtain precious information that otherwise would have been with-held from the loyal fans. Truely heroic... awesome.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

:salute:

DAC is still better then NMA though.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

Why was there no suicide bombing or covered assassination or poisoning involved? WTF? Pure fail...
���������
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

We should send Dreadnought and Megatron out on a Blues Brothers-like journey to find out all they can about this new game that we keep hearing about.

Out of the vault the two of you must journey... armed only with pistol and knife (to share of course), and you mustn't return until this monster has been revealed and slain.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Sure. I'll take the knife. Shooting someone takes away the entire fun anyway. How good it is to feel the fresh blood, which was inside a living body only seconds ago, gush on your face, your neck, your arms... the warmth... the awareness of life fading away due to your interaction... the perverted lust to kill more and MORE... :crazy:

Also, I chose the music for the killing.
���������
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

War. War never changes. Since the dawn of human kind, when our ancestors first discovered the killing power of rock and bone, blood has been spilled in the name of everything, from God to justice to simple psychotic rage.
That's already contradiction to Fallout/2. In both war never changed, because it was about resources. What God? What psychotic rage? "War never changes" has changed.
Pete Hines notes "we spent a stupid amount of time working on this," noting they used more shaders on it than on the whole of Oblivion.
Shaders on a fucking game menu.
a compass which appears to show the location of friendly nearby NPCs in green and of hostile nearby NPCs in red.
:bored:
Visually, the dialogue plays out a lot like Oblivion, the NPC saying his 3 lines before his face kind of jumps into the next position/expression and he says 3 more lines, which makes dad's long speech look a bit odd.
:joy:
Hines explains that the bobbleheads are easter eggs that boost your characteristics and that there's a Vault Boy bobblehead for every stat and every skill in the game.
:roll:
One interesting point here is that a large number of vault guards patrol the hallways, and during SuAside's demo one passed by the girl being harassed and completely ignored the situation. Good guards. And while mentioning leather jackets, it is worth mentioning that the style of vault suits has been changed from skin-tight to baggy, while the vault guards wear something that looks like riot uniforms.
:eyebrow:
Doing so, the engine can be seen visibly catching fire after two shots, before the chain reaction happens in about 5-8 seconds, which shows an intense nuclear explosion with a small blast radius (about a meter or two), which results in a beautifully crafted mushroom cloud. These car explosions are noted by Hines to be "an effective tool in combat." Walking up to it, a warning is shown of +1 radiation per second
Oh gods, I've read enough.
Serious Business.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Bethesda's Fallout 3 will be like a "Flintstones version" of Fallout, but instead of rocks everything will be made of fail.
���������
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Dreadnought wrote:... the perverted lust to kill more and MORE... :crazy:.
One man's perversion gets another man rock hard... :jerk:
Macky
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Macky »

I left the Wasteland for this?

Just kidding. I'm actually quite stupid. But I thank you Brother None. I am proud to be one of your future friends.

-Macky
2%
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Don`t really care much about the game, i might try to mod something for this shiat, if it let`s me. Hope this will come with a dialogue editor, can`t wait for da big uzi quest and gun tits.
I rather enjoy the brevity of JHMN's posts
qfe. the next news should be posting a single link to NMA.
Stainless wrote:DAC is still better then NMA though.
Nah. We suck.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

Dogmeatlives wrote:We should send Dreadnought and Megatron out on a Blues Brothers-like journey to find out all they can about this new game that we keep hearing about.
:salute: :salute: :salute:

Best idea I've read this year
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

The best part is they didn't dare mention they were representing NMA.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Dogmeatlives wrote:and between you and me, you think Pete was full of shit?
In as far as it's his job, yes, he's full of shit. But he's a nice guy, IRL.
Dogmeatlives wrote:That is just dumb.. I think that's the word that best describes that.
It works better in the game than it reads.
DAC is still better then NMA though.
Naturally. That's so obvious there was no need to reaffirm it.
We should send Dreadnought and Megatron out on a Blues Brothers-like journey to find out all they can about this new game that we keep hearing about.
Do it! SAVE THE NUNS!
Our Host!