Fallout3's Problems

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Fallout3's Problems

Post by xbow »

The big problems are PERSPECTIVE and COMBAT. (We all knew that when Bethesda announced that they were going to use the Oblivion engine in FO3)

The God view or isometric view of the Fallout world is something that we were quite happy with, I mean who didn’t like to see the world the way Zeus, Thor and Jehovah did?

The Isometric view has a very direct link to the old table top RPG games like D&D and its many clones. Because of the perspective, character generation system, skill based combat and maneuver system players found it easy to forget about themselves and play their characters. For those of us that played those old RPG’s it was easy to ‘play in character’, and it was a very important component of the game. In my opinion no other computer RPG game emulated the old table top RPG games better than fallout 1 and 2. The games were addicting, reasonably open ended, fostered character identification and allowed us to jump into the wasteland and become completely immersed in the game.
Fallout 1&2 were home runs in my book.

The question is can a game that looks and feels a lot like a 3D shooter and requires the player to immerse himself in the mechanics of real time combat (let’s not talk about V.A.T.S) foster the same degree of character immersion and identification that Fallout 1 and 2 did? The answer is in my book a resounding NO! And the reasons for that are many. I’ll list a few:

1) With fallout 1 & 2 and even Fallout tactics the game playing pieces (characters + NPC’s) were small enough not look plastic or grossly faceted the way the critters in Oblivion and every other 3D shooter do. That plastic, faceted look is an impediment to character identification and hence game immersion. The pixel art critters in FO1 & 2 and the small heavily reworked 3D model critters in Fallout Tactics did not look real, they were simply electronic analogs of the lead miniatures that people used to play with in D & D. Those miniatures (real or virtual) seemed to have fostered character Identification for some reason. The large scale 3D models used in first person games do not seem to have that effect on most of us.�

2) In a good RPG combat is an enjoyable side task but it is not intended to dominate the game completely. I don’t like a 3D shooting combat system or any thing like it in an RPG because it’s too much damn work. During combat the world becomes a blur of Forward---Left---Right---zoom in---Select Weapon---Fire---reload---change weapon---repeat action. I can accept and even like games like Return To Wolfenstein, Doom3 etc because shooting is the game but not in an RPG. Bethesda is attempting to put a Band-Aid on the game with VATS so that you can target specific body areas. The system will be clunky lame and distracting. I had hoped that they would have taken a cue from that much maligned game Fallout Tactics and its Continuous Turn Based Mode with its highly automated ‘Sentry Mode’ combat system. This allowed you to play the character (such as it was) instead of being completely absorbed with the game controller.

‘Sentry Mode’ allowed you to set your parties reaction to three conditions:
Don’t Fire Ever
Fire if Fired Upon
Fire at all Hostile Targets Immediately.

Essentially the mode also allowed you to select the range at which your character and the party started engaging targets by letting you select a hit probability trigger. Sounds like a pain but it amounted to just two clicks on the control panel and from then on you could maneuver around the board hunt for things take actions like stealing or picking locks. Then when an enemy appeared close enough to trigger your sentry mode the fire fight begins and you can then try to think your way trough it. You could of course take over the combat by clicking on your character and then selecting a target and pulling the trigger at anytime.

The bottom line is that Fallout3 will be an OK game but it will not cure the Fallout itch, in fact playing it might just be a very disappointing experience.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

Well, said. :salute:
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Indeed. I find it immensely easier to immerse myself in a world and a character in top-down view than in first-person view. In iso I can see my character, what he's wearing, his little mannerisms (knife-flicking, yawning, etc.); I can see all the party members and what they're doing, their callouts and interaction with the rest of the world. In first-person mode I can't even see myself! There's no visual feedback as to what's happening to my character apart from abstract and disconnected health bars and such. Party members are only visible when they're "in the line of fire" and then you're usually too busy to even acknowledge them.

I have never identified with any of the characters in first-person games (Max Payne, Gordon Freeman; they're all interchangeable to me), but give me a Vault Dweller or Minsc or the Nameless One and man, I'll remember those guys for the rest of my life.

It's also a hell of a lot easier to control a party in top-down mode than in first-person, which is why you'll see minimal to non-existent party interaction in Fallout 3.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

Also, with FPS you get the "tunnel vision" effect, where your FOV is only 90 degrees or so, when in real life it's more like 160-170 degrees. This is what makes FPS games unsuitable for a proper RPG experience.
does this work
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

The big problems are
BETHESDA.

Can't make a good game of their own, can't make a good game of ours.

Discussion the fuck over.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

I fucking swear that if bethesda fuck this one up i will personally rape each and every one of them. Rape them in their eye sockets.

Oblivion sucked cock, Morrowind was great unless you actually wanted to talk to the 1 dimentional characters and for fuck's sake what the bloody motherfucking hell is a star trek game? Stupid cunts. I am willing to bet the game will sell like fucking mad and be the biggest POS since Bono.

I might be wrong, but for fuck's sake: Befuckingthesda!?

They will make it for xbox, IE for fucktards and it will be the biggest technological code monkey written fuck up since oblivion whose engine is an affront to my dog's penis.

FUCK YOU YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER CUNT ASSWHIPES.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Double post: Shit internet.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

bromeo you need to chill out

does anyone even talk about fallout 3 anymore i mean lolololol
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

rabidpeanut wrote:Stupid cunts
Good to have you back, :censored:.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Go fuck yourself you stupid wanker. You assholes are getting soft i needed to come back and harden your soft buttholes back up. I am here to stop the sodomy that seems so rampant on this site. All the chainsaws you have stuck in your dick holes need refueling and i am the only one to do so. So drop your pants and prepare for the burn, though you are likely already nicely loaded up with a good dose of the clap. Prepare to re-acquire Leaky penis syndrome.

Oh, and blargh, me + your mom =

:pelvic_thrust: :chick:

:eyebrow:

I found some movies featuring you vassika : here you go

http://www.cupchicks.com/

http://www.ladybunny.net/blog/2007/10/cup-chicks.html
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

Sodomy pls.
���������
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

We must move cRPGs away from thinky bits and pesky numbers and towards more graphical immersions.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

The main problem with Fallout 3 is that it exists (or is about to exists). D;
���������
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Re: Fallout3's Problems

Post by entertainer »

xbow wrote:The bottom line is that Fallout3 will be an OK game
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Lets hope so, i some how have a feeling that a certain game developer is going to rape it and leave it for dead.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

rabidpeanut wrote:Lets hope so, i some how have a feeling that a certain game developer is going to rape it and leave it for dead.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Damn, that's certainly the pot calling the kettle black.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Hahaha. Well fine then: Only time will tell whether or not bethesda fuck up my all time favorite game. Hopefully they can at least get the music right.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

rabidpeanut wrote:Hahaha. Well fine then: Only time will tell whether or not bethesda fuck up my all time favorite game. Hopefully they can at least get the music right.
They got the music that IPLY wanted for the original Fallout.

So at least the intro music will be right.
the_BlackPipMan
Respected
Respected

Post by the_BlackPipMan »

your wrong. not everyone enjoyed fallout for the god view and TB combat. to some (including me) it felt removed and was a complete immersion killer.

bethesda changed that, while still keeping a functional 3rdPP and semi iso view.

as well as keeping the targeting system that set fallout apart.

honestly what more do you people want?
Our Host!