Duck and Cover Forum Index

Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs.
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 Fallout 3 is Serious Business! View next topic
View previous topic
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[ Game -> Interview ] - More info on Person: Emil Pagliarulo | More info on Game: Fallout 3

Not being silly is something that lead designer, Emil Pagliarulo apparently feels very passionately about. This is what he told PC Zone:

There are some people who say that making an 18-rated game, and especially making a Fallout one, should be about sleeping with the hooker, then waking up with the venereal disease. A lot of that stuff personally, to me, veers into being a 12-year old dungeon master.

Some of it feels right and some of it feels wrong. We're appealing to an adult audience and it's a tough call. I mean, once you have groin shots you're approaching a level of silliness that, if you're not careful, can pervade the whole game.

So, there we got it on black and white: there will not be any groin shots in Fallout 3... there will, however, be weapon erosion but that is serious.

Update: It seems that a small article on PC Zone was the source for the quote. Thanks to Killzig and Briosafreak.

Spotted @ Kotaku

Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Any serious ticket bots. And serious British accent Mr Handy. And serious "violence done right is fucking funny." And serious "nice hat, Calamity Jane."

Yeah

DEAD SERIOUS.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What he's trying to say is that the company is afraid to put sex in the game because they'll get yelled at by all the parents of the 14 year olds that buy the game. I don't know anyone (12 year lods included) that would really find a VD in a videogame that funny. and again it depends on the implementation. If the game treats it like " You got CRABS, LOL!" then it's cheesy middleschool shit. If the way it feels to have the disease is portrayed accurately and unnexaggerated, then it becomes a sort of poison or something that affects the player's stats. Sure you might get a quick chuckle that your character has a VD but what harm does that do? All it does is add another danger to wastelasnd life, another facet of the game that helps the believability of the the world that much more.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Emil has syphillis endstadium

Seriously

fake edit: that reminds me of the talk between ze dweller and Phyllis the nurse in the Vault City Vault, something like, "If I wanted to tell you my name, I'd shout it at you, Syphillis or whatever your name is"
Redeye
I lied
I lied

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wasteland had VD.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Brother None wrote:
British accent Mr Handy.

How did a robot with a British accent end up in Washington? Why would Vault-Tec, a presumably American company, manufacture a robot with a British accent?! Dead serious, indeed.
Dreadnought
I lied
I lied

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bethesda's Fallout 3 reminds me of the car Homer Simpson designed.

Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I still think blinding someone gives rise to lots of tactical possibilities and nice variation in combat. Some weapons would gib them, but, say in melee combat, a lunge for the eyes wouldn't make the head all explodered.
LoneGunman
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Its disturbing that they lack the ability to see all the sily little tings in the original Fallout games and put all of it into one big picture, and THEN realize that it wasnt the groin shots alone, or the killing of children alone, or any of the odd querks that featured in Fallout was what made the game great!

ALL OF THEM, in the right amount, came together in unity and made a holy grail!

Bethesda completely lack that ability to grasp that!
Dreadnought
I lied
I lied

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dreadnought wrote:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That's actually a pretty cool car. rolleyes
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Mr. Teatime wrote:
I still think blinding someone gives rise to lots of tactical possibilities and nice variation in combat. Some weapons would gib them, but, say in melee combat, a lunge for the eyes wouldn't make the head all explodered.

you're also not even touching on the possibility that your target could be wearing some sort of helmet where the only place to "gib" them would be to get a good shot in the eye. Groin could easily be used to cause enemy to stagger, drop a weapon, or drop to the ground momentarily. There's really no good reason not to have them beyond their rabid desire to cut corners where they can. It's the same as them not allowing you to customize your weapons.

Oh look, you have to carry around 5 identical rifles to use to keep your "in-use" rifle in tip top shape. It's like another layer of ammo refilling. But , no, you can't customize your gun. You can't add a scope, or a muffler for some stealthy sniping, you can't find some sort of trigger mechanism on another gun to add a full auto fire mode or anything of the sort. Sounds like this would be more fun/useful/appropriate in a PA world than making a one time use lunchbox bomb or finding a giant nuclear catapult that's only really practical for the scripted miniboss fight in Gears of War.

Could the game still be fun? Yeah. But they sound fucking ridiculous when they keep harping on "not cheesing it up" and then go on a few paragraphs later to mention something about an eyeball rolling down the street lawlalwal or calling the sheriff a "dick" hahaha edgy. icon_drunk

PS - I submitted this with a better headline: http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18370

and Briosa has found the source of the quote:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=170263&skip=yes
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Killzig wrote:
PS - I submitted this with a better headline: http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18370

Quote:
Asinine Sound Byte c/o Pags

Haha. Well, I did not see that, sorry. I consider most of his sound bytes asinine, though... so it becomes sort of redundant, actually.

Quote:
and Briosa has found the source of the quote:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=170263&skip=yes

Thanks, I have updated the news item with proper links and credits.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sounds good. Fallout 2 went too far with bad humour and suffered as a result.

Groin shots.. Hell, it's just a personal choice. I see no great humour in it, I just liked the freedom of shooting someone where I want to. I recall an event in Junktown involving waking up at the Crash House to find a gang member had taken a prostitute named.. Cynthia(?) hostage. If you talk to him, anger him, end up fighting, it's satisfying to shoot him in the crotch.

All the same, it doesn't really have much value, and is a lot harder to implement into Fallout 3 that it would have been for the originals. Plus they seem to have an emphasis on targetted shots causing critical damage in the form of dismemberment, and short of becoming pointlessly obscene, in detail, you can't easily simulate a gore/dismemberment crotch-shot.

What would you ask for..?

"For the love of God, and All that is Holy... MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!!! O.O"

Edit: Eyeshots however are a bad omission, particularly in a game with mutants of that size.. Fighting such a creature with, say, a BB gun, would be ridiculous.. But if you blinded it you'd have a good chance of escape. Headshots and eyeshots in the context of low-power weapon + huge, sturdy enemy are two very different things, removing the excuse of 'If the head explodes, what's the difference?'.

Quote:
How did a robot with a British accent end up in Washington? Why would Vault-Tec, a presumably American company, manufacture a robot with a British accent?! Dead serious, indeed.
- American stereotype for English butlers. Take Alfred from Batman as an example.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dreadnought wrote:

qfe, totally Che
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN MessengerICQ Number
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yay! Susan's back!

Just remember, kids: "The internets is serious bizness" - and so are crappy Bethesda rip-offs.

I for one am drooling over RE5
Dreadnought
I lied
I lied

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dreadnought wrote:
Dreadnought wrote:

!
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dreadnought wrote:

best comment on Fo3 I've read in a good while icon_yes
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd say it applies, but I actually kinda like that car.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I saw big sections of texts and scrolled down till it talks about homers car again icon_drunk

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic