A Definitive Answer on V.A.T.S.

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

A Definitive Answer on V.A.T.S.

Post by Aonaran »

The author of the Gamernode article stopped by NMA to answer some questions, naturally I asked him how VATS worked:
Brendon wrote:
DocConrad wrote:Brendon,

Based on several previews that I've read I've come to a basic understanding of how VATS works, I was hoping you would be able to confirm or deny this understanding.

-you pause
-you que targetted shots / reloads and possibly access inventory (?)
-you activate your actions by exiting VATS
-your queued actions are played out in slow motion outside of your control while the camera follows the action cinematically
-the game reverts back to player control / real time and the enemy attacks you while your action points recharge
-you pause again

(By the way thank you for answering our questions)

That's pretty much how it works. You enter the VATS interface, it shows a grid with the possible targets/their hit percentage, you pick which parts to shoot until you run out of AP, execute the actions, it goes through the shots in a cinematic/slow-mo way, and if the enemy is still alive you gain control again while the AP recharge. I'm not sure if you can access the inventory or anything when in the VATS interface, just because they didn't try to do it.
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic...asc&start=0

To clarify:

1. pause
2. queue targeted shots
3. activate queue
4. queued actions play out in a slow motion cinematic
5. player controlled realtime resumes/enemy attacks/action points recharge over time
6. (repeat)

Additionally:

Q: Do enemy attacks play out in the cinematic sequence?
A: "In the real time I know the enemy attacked. I don't think the enemy can attack you in the VATS system, but then again, he only used it from a distance against three things; only the mutant was firing back, but he knocked its block off the first time. Hard for a giant ant to fight back when it's 30 feet away.I'm fairly certain from what they showed that when you attack in VATS and the animations go through it doesn't follow up with an attack, though."

Not quite confirmation that enemies cannot attack you during the VATS sequence but it is heavily suggested.

More:

Q: Is there a cinematic with slow motion after every queue is activated?
A: "They were always in a cinematic style. (Not like Matrix where it's all flashy, but it follows the bullet, shows it hit thearm/leg/whatever, shows the reaction to the shot, etc. then zooms back out to the normal view.)"

It should be considered that this may not be the final version of the VATS combat system, this is simply how it functioned at the time of the E3 demo this year.
Last edited by Aonaran on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Shit sounds worse then Real time with pause.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

It seems like that would get old pretty quick, but what do i know?
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Dogmeatlives wrote:It seems like that would get old pretty quick, but what do i know?
That Chainsaw swords are cool.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Shit sounds worse then Real time with pause.
Eh, yeah. I guess Bethesda knows what they're doing, but that sounds totally unmarketable?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

S4ur0n27 wrote:
Wolfman Walt wrote:Shit sounds worse then Real time with pause.
Eh, yeah. I guess Bethesda knows what they're doing, but that sounds totally unmarketable?
Which is probably why it's an option to go entirely real time throughout the game. Vats is just a lame attempt to appeal to fans.
edhead
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by edhead »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Vats is just a lame attempt to appeal to fans.
You can't blame them for not trying :pelvic_thrust:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Well it doesn't sound like they're really trying.

Seriously, I don't understand all the hype. Are there really people going "OMG BETHESDA HAS PULLEDO FF A NEW COMBAT SYSTEM, IT'S NAMED VATS, I CAN'T WAIT!1!!!"?

It's totally unbelievable. Mags and websites make it sound like they think it looks awesome, which just totally ruins their credibility. I mean, we're not THAT stupid.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

The target audiance for FO3 IS that stupid.

Console Kiddies.
Maximous
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Maximous »

I can't begin to imagine how fucking stupid VAT's sounds. Make it either Turnbased for real men or make it run and gun for pussy's.

My god, it must hurt those pussy's out there to actually "THINK" about a move.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Maximous wrote:I can't begin to imagine how fucking stupid VAT's sounds. Make it either Turnbased for real men or make it run and gun for pussy's.
Technically, it is run and gun for kiddies, you just have the OPTION of using VATs. As I said, somewhere else on here, undoubtably, VATs is basically like your special moves meter. You use it till it runs out to do some extra damage or whatever and then you're running and gunning till your nice Actionpoint meter runs back up.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Perhaps at least vats would make it possible to mod in true TB?
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Caleb wrote:Perhaps at least vats would make it possible to mod in true TB?
Yeah, if you like shitty fucking stalkolivion mods.

(mutant) horse armor.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

popscythe wrote:(mutant) horse armor.
This is actually kind of funny because there is a very popular thread in the "official" Fallout 3 forum about including mounts.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Id larf my arse off of a FO3 mod made it TB and otehrwise like it should have been, and it made the inital game look (even more) like complete shite.
Maximous
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Maximous »

PsychoSniper2 wrote:Id larf my arse off of a FO3 mod made it TB and otehrwise like it should have been, and it made the inital game look (even more) like complete shite.
We'd all laugh our arses off....because it will never happen. They'd have to redesign SPECIAL, Perks/Skills to actually tie into the gameplay/combat.

Naw...it's better to "make something new" like FPS, which has never been tried before :censored:

Never re-invent the wheel when you can feed people shit...just remember, FO3 will be game of the year for it's ground breaking art.
Our Host!