Ok, some reasons to be worried

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Hell, Armed Assault (infintry sim / shooter ) has a better draw distance, with a lot more going on in a 50+ square kilometer map thats always completly in memory.

Wait, so did Operation Flashpoint, and it came out in 2000 or so .......
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Mechanurgist wrote:Didn't Bethy come up with any original background material?

The city that worships a nuke and ugh....radio stations.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

there was actually nuke worship in fallout tactics
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Well.....shit....thongs?
AnneGwish
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by AnneGwish »

The reason there are no dumb dialogue options is because of another stupid choice. Since they are going fully voiced, there's not enough room on the damned disk to put different responses for a stupid character's babbling. Fuckin' inovaishun in action.
"If you could be God's worst enemy, or nothing, which would you choose?" -Fight Club

"God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you" -Angelspit
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

PsychoSniper2 wrote:

Yeah, but it sucked even more than FO3 will...
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

frissy wrote:
PsychoSniper2 wrote:

Yeah, but it sucked even more than FO3 will...
Hardly, OFP was to shooters what FO is to cRPGs.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

I thought that was Doom...or quake. Oh well, I must be too old for this shit (and i'm not old).

Just because it's about US army doesn't mean it's the best.

Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

johnnygothisgun wrote:there was actually nuke worship in fallout tactics
Also in Return to the Planet of the Apes.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

frissy wrote:I thought that was Doom...or quake. Oh well, I must be too old for this shit (and i'm not old).

Just because it's about US army doesn't mean it's the best.

Its hardly just about the US army, theres also the russian army, plus a fuckload of mods.

Were FO was the top of the RPG market, OFP is the top of shooters, in that its a true combat sim not some gay fragfest.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I'm still surprised no reviewer has had the legitimacy to speak ill of the fact that there is a nuclear explosion every 15 minutes in the game. Seriously, if atomic blasts are as common place as the demo would have you believe it is no small wonder that there are only 150 people in D.C. and it's outlying areas after having 200 years to repopulate.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Aonaran wrote:I'm still surprised no reviewer has had the legitimacy to speak ill of the fact that there is a nuclear explosion every 15 minutes in the game. Seriously, if atomic blasts are as common place as the demo would have you believe it is no small wonder that there are only 150 people in D.C. and it's outlying areas after having 200 years to repopulate.
You mean the guts to criticize such silliness. Although to be fair it's not clear whether this is an end-game weapon or not. I mean, Fallout did have missile launchers, plasma rifles and all kinds of wacked-out weaponry in the endgame. Nukes is pushing it a bit admittedly. I just can't see how that would work as a close-quarters sidearm. How?
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

Mechanurgist wrote:
Aonaran wrote:I'm still surprised no reviewer has had the legitimacy to speak ill of the fact that there is a nuclear explosion every 15 minutes in the game. Seriously, if atomic blasts are as common place as the demo would have you believe it is no small wonder that there are only 150 people in D.C. and it's outlying areas after having 200 years to repopulate.
You mean the guts to criticize such silliness. Although to be fair it's not clear whether this is an end-game weapon or not. I mean, Fallout did have missile launchers, plasma rifles and all kinds of wacked-out weaponry in the endgame. Nukes is pushing it a bit admittedly. I just can't see how that would work as a close-quarters sidearm. How?
It doesn't... it simply doesn't. At least a blast radius can be actually defined for a rocket launcher or a grenade in a real-world sort of way, but the uncontrollability of nuclear explosions seems to preclude any sort of precision weapon based on such.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

There's not motherfucking rational explaination for the fatman.

Plasma weapons were in because in the 50's everyone thought there would be rayguns everywhere. And rocket launchers are real. Not really over the top considering that at a military base, there are usually lots of the fire and forget jobs.

Bethesda can't handle making a game without putting their shitty watermark on it by overpowering a bunch of elements. In this case, since they arn't allowed vampires or flying characters, they put in gimmick FPS weapons and honest to god mushroom cloud bearing atomic explosions every four seconds. I'm expecting less weapons than stalker... we're probably looking at a real Quake 4 experience here, gents.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I am curious if they're going the FOT route with weapons and seeing if they can just make ridiculous shit like the gloves with giant balls at the end.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

PsychoSniper2 wrote: Were FO was the top of the RPG market, OFP is the top of shooters, in that its a true combat sim not some gay fragfest.
Yes yes :bored:

SEMPER FI!!

Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

One thing I'm hearing alot on the official forums is "they say they've learned from their mistakes in Oblivion." What are they, fucking children? Who gives a piss if they have learned their lesson or not, it's their job to make a good games. If after Fallout 3 comes out I hear "they say they learned their lesson and I'm sure they'll pass it on from this game to the next" I'll shit. I assume when they say they learned their lesson from Oblivion they mean the same way the learned from Morrowind going into Oblivion, we all know how well that turned out.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

popscythe wrote:There's not motherfucking rational explaination for the fatman.

Plasma weapons were in because in the 50's everyone thought there would be rayguns everywhere. And rocket launchers are real. Not really over the top considering that at a military base, there are usually lots of the fire and forget jobs.

Bethesda can't handle making a game without putting their shitty watermark on it by overpowering a bunch of elements. In this case, since they arn't allowed vampires or flying characters, they put in gimmick FPS weapons and honest to god mushroom cloud bearing atomic explosions every four seconds. I'm expecting less weapons than stalker... we're probably looking at a real Quake 4 experience here, gents.
It literally averaged a nuclear blast every 15 minutes. How many nuclear explosions were their in the entiretly of the Fallout series up until this point, spinoffs included?
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Well the truth is that you always make mistakes, you almost always learn from them (this might not be the case here...). A good game doesn't automatically equal it being flawless.

Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

pussy
Our Host!