PC Gamer scans

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

PC Gamer scans

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Preview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Fallout 3">Game: Fallout 3</a>

<p>French <em>Fallout</em> site <a href="http://www.fallout-3.com/" target="_self">Fallout-3.com</a> has posted scans of the PC Gamer UK <em>Fallout 3</em> Preview. The scans will probably be down soon, as Bethesda's legal watchdogs are fast as lightning, but you can still check them out <a href="http://www.fallout-3.com/" target="_self">here </a>before then.</p><p>Thanks to Killzig for letting me know. </p>
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I have to admit...that Brotherhood soldier on the cover is very well done.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Sex-o-fied. Thanks KoC!
my vocabulary skills is above you.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Oh yeah, cause that MAKES a RPG.........

This is more an homage than a remake or sequel.
Id prefer something like rape of an IP but ok ...........
August 2007 PCGamer page 27 wrote:Take Stalker's unsettling landscape, add equal parrts Mad Max, Waterworld, When The Wind Blows and Dr Strangelove, a slice of zombified Americana, a hefty dose of pre-millennial tension, a generous slug if Cold War paranoia, scatter with rusting 1950s memorabilia and infest with mutated beasts looking for a meal on legs... and you're half-way to imagining how it feels to mive through Fallout 3's retro-futuristic world.
Oh, that just makes me cry ...........

While the original Fallout games confined their isometric antics to the USA's west coast, Fallout 3 is set in an area containing part of Washington DC
So FO is simply antics now .............

Fallout 3 is set in an area containing part of Washington DC ..................... It's remarkably hilly, too

so more of the infamous ' towns seperated by short distance and big hill'

Emil wrote:"We want people to agonise over things, for things not to be clear."
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

But when you enter VATS it uses the same sound from Fallout 1! Holy shit!

I'm glad someone at least finally used precise enough language that we could decipher what the fuck VATS was at last. Then again I now know (with complete certainty) what VATS is, ugh.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Where the fuck did they get zombies from? Cocksuckers missed the whole point of the (super)mutants.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

It's a Gaming mag, you expected QUALITY journalism ?
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Im talking bethesta, but I get your point.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Superhaze wrote:Im talking bethesta, but I get your point.
Well ......... Im HOPING FO3 doesnt have zombies, tho it'd be funny if ghoul = zombie in FO3.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I like how Megaton uses a jet engine to open/close the gates. Apparently on top of a nuclear bomb they also have a Road Warrior style jet fuel refinery.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

apparently jet fuel is in ample supply as are nuclear bombs, mini nuclear bombs and fusion powered cars with intact engines capable of going kaboom at a bullet's notice.

here's a question I have. They keep hammering this "NO ONE LEAVES THE VAULT, EVER!" thing but ...

every vault was equipped with a GECK for that, you know, eventuality that they'd have to repopulate the surface. And this game takes place _20_ or so years after FO2? You know, long after vault city has been established. Established long enough that they barely remember what an overseer is. Point I'm getting at is, whatever oven timer the vault came with telling them "OK GUYS, TIME TO OPEN THE DOORS AND PUT THAT GECK TO USE!" has long since gone -DING-. Why are these fuckers still locked in the vault? I doubt we'll get an answer to this but it would be nice.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Killzig wrote: here's a question I have. They keep hammering this "NO ONE LEAVES THE VAULT, EVER!" thing but ...

every vault was equipped with a GECK for that, you know, eventuality that they'd have to repopulate the surface. And this game takes place _20_ or so years after FO2? You know, long after vault city has been established. Established long enough that they barely remember what an overseer is. Point I'm getting at is, whatever oven timer the vault came with telling them "OK GUYS, TIME TO OPEN THE DOORS AND PUT THAT GECK TO USE!" has long since gone -DING-. Why are these fuckers still locked in the vault? I doubt we'll get an answer to this but it would be nice.
We DO se guys in riot gear in the background of one of the screenies .

Prehaps the experiment in the vault (assuming they actualy get that much of it even ........ ) was a martial law vault ?
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

PsychoSniper2 wrote:
Killzig wrote: here's a question I have. They keep hammering this "NO ONE LEAVES THE VAULT, EVER!" thing but ...

Prehaps the experiment in the vault (assuming they actualy get that much of it even ........ ) was a martial law vault ?
I hate to admit it but I think the man has a point, afterall it has heavily speculated that Vault 101 is a 1984 reference which is completely in line with the characterization of the Overseer. Still, Bethesda doing 1984? That is like Michael Bay doing, well, anything or that asshole that did S.W.A.T and the Fast and the Furious remaking Sam Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch" ...which he is. (god help us)
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Aonaran wrote:
PsychoSniper2 wrote:

I hate to admit it but I think the man has a point, afterall it has heavily speculated that Vault 101 is a 1984 reference which is completely in line with the characterization of the Overseer. Still, Bethesda doing 1984? That is like Michael Bay doing, well, anything or that asshole that did S.W.A.T and the Fast and the Furious remaking Sam Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch" ...which he is. (god help us)
So what youre saying is the 1984 refrence will be poorley implemented, and otehrwise suck ?

And as far as the intro section of the game ........ like the movies were stuck with the same old rehashed crap in a new wrapper for a few hrs ...........
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Interesting. VATS doesn't sound too bad in this preview.

just had a thought though - this megaton thing. Will it be possible to do all the quests there, THEN go to the guy and blow the place up, getting access to the other place? i.e. get the best of both worlds?

hope not.
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

Did that prick really just copy the tagline from Dr. Strangelove verbatim? Jesus.

God they have a lot of changes to make before I'll like this shit.
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Interesting. VATS doesn't sound too bad in this preview.
Heres my take on it, and why I dislike it.

The games a FPS.

BUT, shooting or doing combat in RT eats up APs too.

Do use VATS its like you've paused the game, and have a skill based % to hit the target, and hit a specific area of the enemy.

Which raises the next question, aside from sniping or trying to get a point blank critical, why the fuck would you use VATS, as its a FPS.

So basicly its a FPS with skill based sniping.

If ALL combat was thru VATS it'd be a LITTLE better, but then only if MOVEMENT used ATs too.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

I didn't see anything in the previews about strapping a cage with a rat in it on your head or any other atrocity in Vault 101 to even remotely link it to Room 101. More likely the reference is to refer to the college course type 101. As it is the TUTORIAL level. Someone might have thought of the 1984 link after the fact but they're not that clever.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

PsychoSniper2 wrote:Heres my take on it, and why I dislike it.

The games a FPS.

BUT, shooting or doing combat in RT eats up APs too.

Do use VATS its like you've paused the game, and have a skill based % to hit the target, and hit a specific area of the enemy.

Which raises the next question, aside from sniping or trying to get a point blank critical, why the fuck would you use VATS, as its a FPS.

So basicly its a FPS with skill based sniping.

If ALL combat was thru VATS it'd be a LITTLE better, but then only if MOVEMENT used ATs too.
Well, in the article it confirms that areas covered by armor are better protected and reduce damage, as opposed to just having an AC boost by simply wearing the armor (although AC might still be a factor) so VATS allows you to take precise shots at unprotected areas or specific shots like disarming hand shots etc. While you could do this in real time by queing your actions you have an increased likelyhood of making these deadeye shots otherwise impossible, especially in such rapid sucession, unless you are some sort of twtich gaming god. Still, going from pause to realtime is going to be clunky as fuck, especially while you are waiting for your AP to recharge.

Mr. Teatime wrote:Interesting. VATS doesn't sound too bad in this preview.
What is up with that shit? 15-20 American reviewers do write ups and the entire Fallout community as well as those Bethesda forum twerps are all scratching their heads, a French reviewer writes ONE article and all becomes clear. American game journalists are fucking awful.

Killzig wrote:I didn't see anything in the previews about strapping a cage with a rat in it on your head or any other atrocity in Vault 101 to even remotely link it to Room 101. More likely the reference is to refer to the college course type 101. As it is the TUTORIAL level. Someone might have thought of the 1984 link after the fact but they're not that clever.
Or it could be a reference to "Newgen", HAIL BIG BETHESDA!
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

oh no, NOT CHUCK NORRIS! :gnasher:
Our Host!