No Melee Combat in Fo3?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

No Melee Combat in Fo3?

Post by Aonaran »

GameSpy wrote:...but to prevent you from just abusing the heck out of V.A.T.S., and in a throwback to the turn-based combat of the previous games, each shot in V.A.T.S. costs Action Points. In the demo we saw, each shot took about three APs and the player had nine total, meaning he could try for three aimed shots at any moment. Howard said they're still futzing with the exact system, but at the moment, AP automatically recharges over time when playing in real-time (with the recharge speed dictated by the player's Agility stat), but that recharge rate is slowed down a bit when you're just shooting stuff. Additionally, all the combat we saw is gun-based, but Howard did comment that melee combat (and we saw the "unarmed" skill listed in the character screen) is still a possibility.
A possibility? What the fuck? Hopefully the reviewer is just an incompetent, that is, after all, less frightening than the idea that Bethsoft has painted themselves into a corner in designing the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System for ranged attacks only and not considering a way to pause-screen into it during melee combat.

How could that possibly work, anyhow? The game refuses to pause while you have a melee weapon equipped unless you are within 2 feet of an enemy? A crazy matrix slow motion cutscene of you breaking the distance after queueing your attacks from a distance? Not being able to use AP for movement might just queer the whole deal.

Also, supposing they actually find a way to implement melee combat into V.A.T.S., the way I understand the system is that after your queued action and the slow motion bullet time sequence you are thrown back into real time combat. How could the transition from slow motion "d00d!" footage to a super mutant beating you feverishly with a hydrant not be awkward?

Hell, this is all speculation and from what I've read not even the development team really has a firm grasp on exactly what the fuck V.A.T.S is, what it will be or how it works, so who knows?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

It's pretty terrible that we have to talk about melee combat as a "posibility" rather then a definite, especially since hand to hand and melee were such an important part to the original games. It'd be nice if we weren't kept in the dark about stuff like this.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

Honestly, I wouldn't miss this stuff. Melee combat wasn't that important except towards the beginning, unless you wanted to play the entire game with a +10 strength and a +200 melee skill.
Death to quotes.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

TelemachusSneezed wrote:unless you wanted to play the entire game with a +10 strength and a +200 melee skill.
I think that's kind of the point why it's bad that they're axing hand to hand. They're limiting your character. One of the often touted features of Fallout is that you can create pretty much any character you want, if I want to be like the hulk and powerfist shit to death with my mighty hands of justice, I had that option. That may no longer be the case.

Also - insert some stuff about the suppossed rarity of ammo. What the fuck am I suppossed to do when I run out of this rare ammo? Use harsh language?
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

News Flash: Nex Gen Exposed!

Post by 4too »

News Flash: Nex Gen Exposed!

Some review implied scarce ammo, so mo' melee. How that LARPS or game-plays, don't know.

Wolfman Walt:
... I had that option. That may no longer be the case. ...

With all the tall tech talk of uber video and cpu hardware exponentially expanding potential,
and that Beth dev's bold brag that he hacked out the code to make FPS the one true RPG genre, {Thought that was PR's hatchet job.},

why do the game consumers have FEWER choices?

Whose Double Speak claims this ''less is more''?

These Nex Gen chefs keep doling out the 'stone soup'.

Or will the fairy tale of the 'Emperor's New Clothes' be more appropriate?

Bare buttocks on review!

Sad that the focus is not on developing the game-play, whatever the genre, but blowing smoke.

Information control the true innovation of the Nex Gen.

Got to lub Big B.

4too
PsychoSniper2
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Re: News Flash: Nex Gen Exposed!

Post by PsychoSniper2 »

4too wrote:News Flash: Nex Gen Exposed!

Some review implied scarce ammo, so mo' melee. How that LARPS or game-plays, don't know.

Wolfman Walt:
... I had that option. That may no longer be the case. ...

With all the tall tech talk of uber video and cpu hardware exponentially expanding potential,
and that Beth dev's bold brag that he hacked out the code to make FPS the one true RPG genre, {Thought that was PR's hatchet job.},

why do the game consumers have FEWER choices?

Whose Double Speak claims this ''less is more''?

These Nex Gen chefs keep doling out the 'stone soup'.

Or will the fairy tale of the 'Emperor's New Clothes' be more appropriate?

Bare buttocks on review!

Sad that the focus is not on developing the game-play, whatever the genre, but blowing smoke.

Information control the true innovation of the Nex Gen.

Got to lub Big B.

4too

Indeed.

Bethesdas new RPG

So grand, years in the make.

They show it to press community, so grand they say.

Thats not an RPG, psychosniper says.

Thats not even Fallout.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

After reading about 15 different reviews several mentioning how they had not seen any examples of melee combat I guess I got a little paranoid. Add into that my perplexion at how close range combat could be incorporated into VATS I suppose I was somewhat predisposed to misread the quote. I suspect, and more importantly HOPE that what is inferred is that melee combat will also be a possibility, as in an option. It still beats the fuck out of me how they are going to pull it off, though. KOTOR Lightsaber duels? Time will tell.
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

Well look at it this way.

You step out of the vault.
The sun burns your virgin eyes as you look on the wasteland.
You check your ammo.
2 clips.
Oh noes! I shooted all my bullets! Console cheats plz!
Its stupid to think stepping out into a wasteland.
Where people barely survive on bugger-all just so happen to find 10000 crates of bullets in some old store house, considering theres was a war.

And that its been at least 70 years since the nukes hit.

I dont think im going to be able to search a pot and find that 9mm ball soaked in grease to reload my grease gun.

Melee is critical. Knives and shit.

Stepping out into the wasteland. Sure id like to have a gun.
But when it runs out of ammo.
Ive pretty much got to pistol whip people. Which is awkward.
Especially considering they LIVE in the waste. Where there is hardly any ammo anyway.
So theyd have to use some kind of weapon.
Id rather a ripper or a power fist.

For god sake!
"Banned in 2 posts" :salute:
Subhuman wrote:A guy ripping open his anus, a man in chaps getting fucked by a horse, and a girl spewing enema all over her face in a bathtub are okay, but a 15 year-old's cock is off-limits. Only on DAC.
King of Creation wrote: Aaannnnnnnnd to the wasteland :salute:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

hat_man99 wrote:Id rather a ripper or a power fist.
Those used ammo as well.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

B)
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

They have officially ruined fallout. If i want to cut someone in half with a ripper then i fucking better bloody well be able to do so. FUCK. Assholes.
Nooke
I'm a little twat

Post by Nooke »

Options to do stuff? In my Bethesda?! It's completely unlikely... as you might have thought.
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
Those used ammo as well.
Yeah but its more viable that something like vault city or whatever can recharge power cells and stuff.

With solar power or whatever.

But its unlikely that theyll be able to mine the metal used in the shell.
Make the gun powder and be able to mass produce it in the first place.
So that its all over the fucking wasteland in every tom dick and nookes hands.
Subhuman wrote:A guy ripping open his anus, a man in chaps getting fucked by a horse, and a girl spewing enema all over her face in a bathtub are okay, but a 15 year-old's cock is off-limits. Only on DAC.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

hat_man99 wrote:
Frater Perdurabo wrote:
Those used ammo as well.
Yeah but its more viable that something like vault city or whatever can recharge power cells and stuff.

With solar power or whatever.

But its unlikely that theyll be able to mine the metal used in the shell.
Make the gun powder and be able to mass produce it in the first place.
So that its all over the fucking wasteland in every tom dick and nookes hands.
So power cells are replacable whereas some simple bullets are not? Right.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Maybe they use peepee batteries? B)
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

...if that's honestly how shit's supposed to work with their logic, what the fuck are you supposed to do when you clip out? Coarse language? Tell your aggressor you'll pick up where you left off in a couple days?

Really, there's no way in hell they can make it without hand-to-hand/melee combat... assuming there are deathclaws, mutants with lead pipes and shit, or whatever else the wasteland spits up, there's no way in hell they'd leave out the ability to react at point-blank range without using an item
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

Deathclaw hits for 48 damage
You stand there and cry
Nameless_One
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Nameless_One »

hat_man99 wrote:Deathclaw hits for 48 damage
You stand there and cry
...or split to its face
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

Super muntannyitantytant hits chosen one for 20 damage
This is fallout 2
Its fallout 3
We dont have hand to hand combat
Supermutant is out of ammo.
Game over
Kiddy console gamers win
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

Tactical sofa gamer.
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Our Host!