Auto Assault gets canceled, Community rallies

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Auto Assault gets canceled, Community rallies

Post by Stainless »

<strong>[ Game -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Auto Assault">Game: Auto Assault</a>

<p>One of the few (only?) post-apoc MMORPG's on the market was recently announced as getting canceled at the end of August by publisher NC Soft.</p><blockquote><p><em> Today NCsoft is announcing that it will be closing down service for
Auto Assault at the end of the summer. The service will close at
midnight on August 31, 2007. As of today, any player currently in the
service with an active billed account will not be billed again. If
players have previously purchased time via multi-month billing or time
cards that extends their service past July 31, NCsoft will reconcile
these accounts appropriately.</em></p></blockquote><p> Despite this, members of the community have rallied to try and keep the game afloat by petitioning both NC Soft to either keep the game going, or sell the IP back to the games developers Net Devil, or any other party. A second petition is also underway to get Net Devil to put money forward to try and reclaim the rights to the game.
</p><p>For those that wish to lend their support to keeping alive a MMORPG that doesn't have elves, swords and magic, the petitions can be found below.</p><p><a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/aa4evaa/" target="_blank">NC Soft Petition</a></p><p><a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/aa4evaaa/petition.html" target="_blank">Net Devil Petition</a><a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/aa4evaaa/petition.html" target="_blank"></a></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.autoassault.com">Auto Assault</a></p>
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

In other news, I fail at posting news. :drunk:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

The game was supposedly a bit shitty anyways but the service should be kept up for those who still want to play it. It's not their fault that the game went bust, the company needs to bite the bullet and serve the customer even if its at a loss.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote: the company needs to bite the bullet and serve the customer even if its at a loss.
That goes against pretty much any logic sense, doesn't it?
aries100
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by aries100 »

It is nice to see that the community over at AUTO Assualt still cares for the game :) I wish them luck in their attempt to bring NC Soft to either sell the IP back to the the developers or to another party, or even convince the NC Soft to let the community set up private servers (for NC Soft's IP).

As much as I would for this to happen, I'm sorry to say that I don't see it happening :( --- since there simply doesn't seem to be enough people that are willing to pay for MMO post apoc game. I tried going to Auto Assualt's forum once or twice - just to check the game out.

And the game definitely looked like fun :) However, I read some mini-reviews from some of the fans over there that stated they weren't that happy with the game because of reason x and reason y etc. They also suggested ways to improve the game :)

This vague reminds me of that online game 3DO make, Legend of Might and Magic. It went down with a crash as well as Asheron's Call did, I believe as well as Anarchy Online :?: did

I don't the intended target audience for Auto Assault, but I would think that it would be some of my students at vocationel school :) where I work as a Danish & Engish teacher in the Autodeparment. They would like this game a lot, I think, since they can customize their cars and do battle with them, at least that how I've understood it :?:

Catering to the young male adolescent are a very diicult task, though. They know what they want and if they're not getting, they will move - on to other products that better fit their gaming needs.

NC Soft also should realize that such a game as Auto Assault probably never will be as popular as say WOW is, but probably more will ne niche market with maybe 1½-2 million players (or maybe not even that), not a market of WOW's 8½ million players.

Sadly, though, :( --- it seems that today it IS about the money, not about the gaming communites...
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

The game has promise, but has several draw backs. It suffers from a real lack of consistent updates and balances, but the next update which was due to come out soon and was on the test server included more chasis, a reformed PvP zone and race tracks. The biggest problem was really lack of end game content, but pvp was pretty fun. The map however, was just too freaking huge if the population was low at the time.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Sell the name to Bethesda. I'm sure the Oblivion engine/game format would serve the Auto Assault franchise well.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Our Host!