Ken Levine is smart

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

At least Bioshock developers realize that they are making an FPS, that is their foremost goal: A good FPS. And then they integrate some RPG element sort of things. At least that's how they've described it in the interviews I have seen.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

What are RPG elements? I Mostly call the them upgrades. So basically any upgrade to a gun is a RPG element. Sucks. I know (like the polish)
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Bioshock needs to have some serious replay value for them to drop multiplayer. Otherwise, I don't see the selling point.

Anyway, my prediction: Bioshock > Fo3.

Serious business.
Sniper wrote:If System Shock 2 is one of the best games you ever have played, then i feel sorry for you.
Who the fuck are you? What are you doing here? Who the hell are you again? Weren't you people asshatted? No matter, get the fuck out.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Gosh, cockfight! :drunk:

jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

frissy wrote:What are RPG elements? I Mostly call the them upgrades. So basically any upgrade to a gun is a RPG element. Sucks. I know (like the polish)
And radiation, duh. Haven't you played STALKER?
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Mechanurgist wrote:The design and art of Bioshock is cool, but it's still just another FPS (with superpowers). Yawn.
Not "FPS (with superpowers)" but "FPS with superpowers". And if you don't fucking like to have a motherfucking ORIGINALITY and FRESH CONCPETS in an FPS then get the fuck out back to CS, kid.
Serious Business.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

I just looveee how originality and fresh concepts rhyme with FPS.

Originality in FPS is moston commonly described as a different name for the Rocket Launcher. :bored:

Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Farcry was innovative, because id had grafficxxx!!
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Don't forget the mutant gorillas! Normal people just don't cut it enough nowdays. Also, you can't use all the cool dx10 effects unless you don't add some plasmas or glowing hippos.

DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Every possible drawer can be rummaged through, every body can be plummaged and a vending machine can be emptied. Still, Bioshock lacks a typical action rpg inventory and paper doll altogether.

You only gather up basic tools like first aid kits, hacking tools, plasmids and ammo. The inventory is not required as all these items have simple uses and their uses can be measured with bars and meters.

Leaving the inventory out has resulted in some radical design choices: You cannot pick up a hamburger, instead eating it right away if you are in need of health.

Though Bioshock displays a lot of tricks, I was not altogether convinced that game situations would have room for gameplay originality. It seemed to be about how much the player cares to bother - either you run and gun everything that moves or save ammo and use your mutant powers. If there's a sentry gun in the room and a gang of mutants is about to break a door, you don't have to be a Mythbuster (tm) to realize you probably should tinker with the cannnon beforehand.

Rapture is not an underwater Oblivion, however, as routes seemed to be blocked here and there and nearly everywhere. Well-camouflaged tunnel shooter it smelled like - though it could've been just tactful guidance at the beginning.

There's no player developement system (a la SS2). No skills, no abilities, no points... E.g. the player can hack electronic devices from the very beginning. It's all about exterminating enemies in many interesting ways. Yet Bioshock is not another brainless shooter.

Hacking is the worst element in the whole game. It's some kind of mini-game a la Pipe Mania: the player has to connect pipes so that the water may flow through newly constructed pipeline. Pipes are "invisible". The player has to click on the pipe in order to see if it matches the one he/she needs. If it does not, another one has to be found. You have to find proper pieces in time, therefore this mini-game becomes "click as much as fast as you can". It's "lame".

If you're lost, you can turn some "tracking system" on (huge arrow on the screen) in order to find your way. It's optional. You can also use your map.

No multiplayer.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

Thor Kaufman wrote:Farcry was innovative, because id had grafficxxx!!
It had cool weapons and gun noises too, lol omfg
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

If you're lost, you can turn some "tracking system" on (huge arrow on the screen) in order to find your way. It's optional. You can also use your map.
wtf dumbing down!!!!111!!
RAK
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by RAK »

My personal opinion is that System Shock 2 was almost perfect, because it knew what it was: A particularly slow-paced and cerebral FPS with genuine RPG elements fused into the gameplay - and into the plot. I'm a big fan of the FPS genre, but I generally only play the most exceptional games, and System Shock 2 was exceptional.
"When conversing about oligarchy, you must consider this point: Many children are taught from an early age that monarchies are primarily benevolent, and are given very little to discourage this opinion until at least adolesence. Even more prevalent are stories about the supposed benevolence of heirs to the throne, symbolising a cycle which they are taught is good."
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

DaC-Sniper wrote:
Every possible drawer can be rummaged through, every body can be plummaged and a vending machine can be emptied. Still, Bioshock lacks a typical action rpg inventory and paper doll altogether.

You only gather up basic tools like first aid kits, hacking tools, plasmids and ammo. The inventory is not required as all these items have simple uses and their uses can be measured with bars and meters.

Leaving the inventory out has resulted in some radical design choices: You cannot pick up a hamburger, instead eating it right away if you are in need of health.

Though Bioshock displays a lot of tricks, I was not altogether convinced that game situations would have room for gameplay originality. It seemed to be about how much the player cares to bother - either you run and gun everything that moves or save ammo and use your mutant powers. If there's a sentry gun in the room and a gang of mutants is about to break a door, you don't have to be a Mythbuster (tm) to realize you probably should tinker with the cannnon beforehand.

Rapture is not an underwater Oblivion, however, as routes seemed to be blocked here and there and nearly everywhere. Well-camouflaged tunnel shooter it smelled like - though it could've been just tactful guidance at the beginning.

There's no player developement system (a la SS2). No skills, no abilities, no points... E.g. the player can hack electronic devices from the very beginning. It's all about exterminating enemies in many interesting ways. Yet Bioshock is not another brainless shooter.

Hacking is the worst element in the whole game. It's some kind of mini-game a la Pipe Mania: the player has to connect pipes so that the water may flow through newly constructed pipeline. Pipes are "invisible". The player has to click on the pipe in order to see if it matches the one he/she needs. If it does not, another one has to be found. You have to find proper pieces in time, therefore this mini-game becomes "click as much as fast as you can". It's "lame".

No multiplayer.
:rofl: that's a second blow to me after "We can't let them just like, shoot them dead, mmmkay".

Screw Bioshock, what happened to my dream game?

(Hint: It has 360 in the name)
Serious Business.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Well-camouflaged tunnel shooter
Called it.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Why is DAC covering this piece of shit game?
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

Koki wrote:Screw Bioshock, what happened to my dream game?

(Hint: It has 360 in the name)
Mass Effect 360?
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

VasikkA wrote:Why is DAC covering this piece of shit game?
Fallout was a RPG, so this is only natural. M'kay. RPG elements ya'know. Fallout 3 will be a FPS so soon there will be the latest info on Unreal Tournament 2011! FPS elements ya see. :eyebrow:

Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

frissy wrote:
VasikkA wrote:Why is DAC covering this piece of shit game?
Fallout was a RPG, so this is only natural. M'kay. RPG elements ya'know. Fallout 3 will be a FPS so soon there will be the latest info on Unreal Tournament 2011! FPS elements ya see. :eyebrow:
What's the reasoning here?

Fallout, SS2 = RPG

FO3, Bioshock = FPS

Because Fo3 and Bioshock are FPSs descended from RPGs, we are now covering Unreal... that's good.

But wait! Bioshock has a mini-game for the hacking interface that resembles Pipe Dream... ergo, we are now covering puzzle games!

So who else is looking forward to Hexic 2?
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

I don't know why, but I'm sure Bubble Bobble has something to do with this...it's evil I tell you! EVIL! Cute dino's my ass...evil...

Our Host!