Bethesda to fans: Pay up or go screw yourselves

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
Fuck i am so drunk now!!!
Pope Viper
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Pope Viper »

Like they're going to look at it that way. They're the ones giving us poor FO communities what we've waited 10 years for.

Interplay kept it alive, and they stepped in and rescued.

Yeah. Right.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

I find it distressing that they are discarding the fanbase in this way in favour of paid suckup exclusives to magazines. It makes me think their target audience is perhaps not us.
I dunno. But nice newspost, King. Maybe someone will take notice of it... is NMA gonna put up something similar? Codex too ... would be cool.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Will we? Probably not. Ashley Cheng's remarks are clear enough, while VXSS and Matt add to the sheer stupidity, they don't really add much new. Maybe we'll post, maybe not.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

What we learned from Van Buren was that the developer gets excused for a lot of shit, granted that they are frank and communicative with the fan base. It doesn't mean they have to comply or reach a consensus with the fans. Open dialogue is a token of mutual trust. That alone would've counted for several fuckups the Van Buren crew would or wouldn't have done. Despite the love/hate relationship with J.E. Sawyer, it was clear that he was as passionate about the series as the rest of us. He didn't have to release a press statement or give an empty interview to confirm that.

In Bethesda's case, it seems like the company is run by faceless lawyers and PR guys. What the hell does the community manager or whoever he is do anyway? Was it just a hoax?

Bethesda should rethink their PR policy or their actions will start affecting the sales. What could they lose anyway? It's not like the Fallout fanbase and gaming mag readership is the same crowd.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Haris wrote::drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:
Fuck i am so drunk now!!!
no, you are shit-faced. :drunk:
Dan_Wood
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Dan_Wood »

Anyone want to put money on when 'DEVELOPERS OWE YOU NOTHING!' comes out of retirement and is brandished at us?

Speaking of, where's Calis? :)
Dan Wood

Nothing like a slow-moving localized apocalypse to really make you think about proper data backup procedures.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

I know Bethesda is supposed to be this archetypal "last standing independent game developer," but the way they are acting indicates that they've SRSLY lost touch with their gamers.

They sure put on an ok show though. I really did think they were paying attention to our opinions, what with the random visits from BS staff.
Death to quotes.
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

TelemachusSneezed wrote: They sure put on an ok show though. I really did think they were paying attention to our opinions, what with the random visits from BS staff.
Ha. Nothing but hired actors. Not famous ones either, but the kind that we would want doing voices in Fallout.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

You can pretty much guarantee they won't be seen around these parts ever again. And I fucking hope it stays that way.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Given manhunt's new rating we should do everything in our power to use the next set of death anim screens to lobby the ESRB to give FO3 an AO rating. If that doesn't work Modders should get hard to work at releasing something hot coffee-esque to get the game re-rated and pulled off the most shelves as possible.

all power to the people.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Well I would understand them not listening to fans if they already had a wide knowledge of the material at hand (imagine rosh designing Fallout 3). I'm not saying it's a good thing, but I could understand it. With Bethesda, which already mentioned that even some of the designers DESIGNERS!!! have only played Fallout a few times. Ok, so...

HOW IN THE HELL CAN THEY NOT LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN PLAYING THE GAME FROM THE DAY IT WAS RELEASED!

If they manage to make Fallout 3 into a decent game I'll still dislike Bethesda due to them being Bethesda and how they act. How much more assholism can you actually purge into a creative firm. Christ. :anger:
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Ha, if they think I'll be buying the game... I encourage everyone to just download it once it's out, make it so they lose money with that game.
I'm with the spammer.
Calis
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Calis »

Dan_Wood wrote:Anyone want to put money on when 'DEVELOPERS OWE YOU NOTHING!' comes out of retirement and is brandished at us?

Speaking of, where's Calis? :)
Developers... owe... you... NOTHING! :)
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

I watched community reactions to the releases of Fallout 3 info and hints over the last month, and I've seen you all dismayed and shocked to see that it might have some elements of quality.

Having overcome your surprise, and your initial unguardedly positive reactions, the majority of you seem intent upon reclaiming lost ground by refreshing your illogical prejudices with a fresh OMFG H8 BETHESDA campaign... Pride, or do you enjoy simply finding something to complain about?

I don't think many of you possess a remotely realistic viewpoint anymore. I get the strong feeling you'd complain even if you were given exactly what you want, if you even knew what that is *grins*

A third Fallout game is better than No Fallout game, if only to maintain the longevity of the series until better things can happen to the license. A slim chance, but better than naught.

Whether PR attitude, lack of PR attitude, released information or lack of released information, the venom our newsposts direct at Bethesda have surpassed logic and entered the realm of the childishly malicious.

The ceaseless hinting and nagging for exclusive interviews is becoming ridiculous, and when you don't get what you want you resume senseless abuse of a corporate entity, a company.

Do you think continual pessimism and sourceless, brutal criticism are going to make DAC look professional or capable of handling an exclusive release of information on a big budget mainstream game?

- Jakk'
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Your point, Jakk'? We've all seen what the third and fourth installments in the series ended up as and I don't think we're talking about FO3 the same way we did with FOBOS. We're rather totally logical and down to earth, I'd say, and you're the one living on a cloud, and having an unrealistic and biased viewpoint.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

T-900 wrote:I watched community reactions to the releases of Fallout 3 info and hints over the last month, and I've seen you all dismayed and shocked to see that it might have some elements of quality.

Having overcome your surprise, and your initial unguardedly positive reactions, the majority of you seem intent upon reclaiming lost ground by refreshing your illogical prejudices with a fresh OMFG H8 BETHESDA campaign... Pride, or do you enjoy simply finding something to complain about?
Q: Is this another Oblivion but with a Fallout theme?

A: In short: no. Sure, Fallout 3 plays primarily from a first-person perspective like Oblivion, and conversations with NPCs use a similar style of dialogue tree.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

SuperH wrote:
Brother None wrote:Bethesda doesn't owe us anything.
They don't owe us anything though? We didn't give them the rights to the game? They're not beholden to us in any way, no matter how much / often / hard we stamp our feet?
<marquee direction="right"><marquee behavior="alternate" direction="down" height="220">
You're</marquee>
<marquee behavior="alternate" direction="up" height="200">an <blink>ass!</blink>
</marquee></marquee>
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Haha what?
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

T-900 wrote:I don't think many of you possess a remotely realistic viewpoint anymore. I get the strong feeling you'd complain even if you were given exactly what you want, if you even knew what that is *grins*
I know that if I was given a high-rez version of the Fallout engine, in iso 3D with better inventory management and better NPC AI, I would be ecstatic. That's too much to ask for these days, it seems.

And Jakk, has it not occurred to you that perhaps many of the people here enjoy skewering the pomposity and arrogance of the powers that be at BethSoft and the Dessicated Husk of Interplay (Herve)? That they aren't blinded by their hatred but extremely cynical after years of betrayed promises? Which is more blinkered, experienced cynicism or naive optimism?

There are definitely some good points in the newly-revealed info, but also some fairly predictable bad points.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
Our Host!