The Game Informer Article

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

edhead wrote:EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crock ... ar_device)
Sounds fifties. Sounds Fallout. You fail.
No - you still fail. First at being able to link properly, you goon. Second in that it still doesn't fit into the the setting that well. This is 50's sci-fi (Apperently you failed at reading as well), Flash Gordan and Buck Rogers and all that. As said, I don't remember too many famous movies/radio shows that had man portable nuclear rocket launchers.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Yes, an atomic 10-20 ton recoilless rifle round = TEH NUCLAR HAND CATAPALT UF DUUUUME
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
edhead
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by edhead »

Fools. What do YOU know of post-nuclear warfare?
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

been there, done that :salute:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I agree with edhead on this one. I don't see why atomic weapons wouldn't fit the atomic era setting, as long as it's not a common weapon to shoot rats with. The screenshot doesn't suggest it's some kind of doomsday device. Think of it as an equivalent for rocket launcher, also with scarce and heavy ammo. I'd much rather have a nuclear catapult in the game than a fucking katana.

This whole discussion is only another example of a potential plot hole for rabid fans to stick their cock in. Stick with relevant fallacies plz.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

For me, the fact that your character gets such a powerful weapon early on just to use on a 'boss' character says more about the game than the weapon itself. I don't remember getting a hold of a rocket launcher in the first hour of playing either of the original games. I pretty much had a hunting rifle held together with tape for 1/3 of the game. The mission seems like an FPS mission. That's what bothers me if anyone cares.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
edhead
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by edhead »

Dogmeatlives wrote:I don't remember getting a hold of a rocket launcher in the first hour of playing either of the original games.
IMHO, they just needed to show something off, so they put the catapult in the demo for the GI journalist to see and hype about. I presume you won't get hold of this ubermegabazooka early in-game.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

edhead wrote:
Dogmeatlives wrote:I don't remember getting a hold of a rocket launcher in the first hour of playing either of the original games.
IMHO, they just needed to show something off, so they put the catapult in the demo for the GI journalist to see and hype about. I presume you won't get hold of this ubermegabazooka early in-game.
Since they refuse to clarify anything we won't know until some XBOX magazine clarifies it for us.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
aries100
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by aries100 »

TelemachusSneezed wrote:Upon further readings, more thoughts:

(1) WHY... for the love of God, why... so much attention to "the early years"? Is this the "immurshun" that BS is known for? I could care less if my imaginary game father looks like the character I've chosen; WHO FUCKING CARES! BS probably spent months just putting such a thing together. Rather than working on "ooh, ain't that neat" sort of ideas, they could have been doing real game development.

(2) The Radiant AI system is gay. Why is it important that an NPC I know of talks to his son differently than to other characters? It's yet another one of those "ooh, neat" things that is cool for about a minute, then you move on.

Bethsoft isn't making Fallout 3; it's making a game that is only fit for emo kids and demented X-Box 360 pre-teens.
No, I do believe it is because Bethsoft really wants to make a SIMs game.
The comment from Todd Howard on to go 'life another life in another world' is to be taken very seriously as the Radiant AI in Oblivion shows as well as the re-surfacing of the Radiant AI in Fallout 3 still shows. That's the real reason behind, I belive, Bethsoft's insistance? on a NPC's talking to his son or daugther or wife differently than other characters in-game, in Fallout 3. This emulates or mimicks the way real life characters talk to people.

I don't know why Bethsoft is doing this, but maybe one of the business men on the Zenimax's board wants an experiment done in terms or artificial AI or something?? Or maybe it so that Bethsoft's is experimenting with Radiant AI, while Bioware is experimenting with cinematic games?
Of course, this can't be proven, so it is just qualified guesses on my part ;)
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

Wolfman Walt wrote:It's not about plausability, genius, it's about fitting in the setting. I don't remember looking at much 1950's sci-fi and seeing nuclear catapults, but I do remember seeing lots of rayguns.
QFE.

And furthermore, yeah it is about plausibility, to a certain extent. How the hell do you control a "personal nuclear weapon"? Answer: you don't... you fry. Look in that picture with the "Behemoth" (gay): that explosion is WAY close, and there is no way anything would survive that if it is, in fact, a nuclear explosion.
aries100 wrote: No, I do believe it is because Bethsoft really wants to make a SIMs game.
The comment from Todd Howard on to go 'life another life in another world' is to be taken very seriously as the Radiant AI in Oblivion shows as well as the re-surfacing of the Radiant AI in Fallout 3 still shows. That's the real reason behind, I belive, Bethsoft's insistance? on a NPC's talking to his son or daugther or wife differently than other characters in-game, in Fallout 3. This emulates or mimicks the way real life characters talk to people.

I don't know why Bethsoft is doing this, but maybe one of the business men on the Zenimax's board wants an experiment done in terms or artificial AI or something?? Or maybe it so that Bethsoft's is experimenting with Radiant AI, while Bioware is experimenting with cinematic games?
Of course, this can't be proven, so it is just qualified guesses on my part ;)
You know, you're absolutely right. What it all sounds like is a reaction to that new SimLife game, or whatever it's called, that is being created by Will Wright and crew. "The evolution of a character." NOT a good trend. Reality is reality, fantasy has its place. Mind the gap!

No, I can't say that completely. I DO like realism in games, but what attracted me to Fallout was its "gritty" realism -- the kind that demanded choices, etc. -- not the superficial realism of "hey, that guy's acting like he's real."
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Guyz seriuslie!

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37018

Q: Is this another Oblivion but with a Fallout theme?
A: In short: no. Sure, Fallout 3 plays primarily from a first-person perspective like Oblivion, and conversations with NPCs use a similar style of dialogue tree, but combat, questing, character creation and most importantly the tone and style of the gameplay shares more in common with Fallout 1 and 2 than Oblivion.

It only gets worse!
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Not a surprise, but it still is amazingly stupid. We've refined our doom and gloom predictions to a science. FOBOS 2. Oblivion with Guns. whatever
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

kharn,

apparently a single site has had the ROCK BAND article scans up since the issue hit shelves and there have been no repercussions.

http://www.arrogantics.com/2007/06/16/g ... rock-band/

I would feel pretty comfortable in assuming that given the negative feedback that has been generated by the article on the FO3 forums Bethsoft asked GI to contact you to have the scans removed.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Oh, you can feel darn comfy on that subject, Killzig. The NMA user cookiemonster posted a list of sites with scans up here. Of those 10 sites, only 1 has removed the scans. How's that for protecting intellectual property?
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

kharn,

how much do you love that diplomacy and stealth are secondary methods/after thoughts in the quest design process? It sounds like no matter what kind of character you play you'll end up running the same quests as anyone else just using a different method (most likely one sloppily slapped together half wittedly)...

I guess that explains why the quest they demo'd only provided concrete evidence of a single dungeon crawl solution.

lame.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

It's gonna be so fucking funny when FO3 is seen as little more than a dumbed down Resident Evil 4 with confusing and boring combat by console gamers. RPG players are gonna start a new game and wonder why they can't chose a class, then lose interest after blowing up the same shit over and over with nukular cannons. Gears of War fans just won't get it. RE fans will get lost after 5 minutes. Who are they making this game for?
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Killzig wrote:how much do you love that diplomacy and stealth are secondary methods/after thoughts in the quest design process?
Baldur's Gate?
Pope Viper
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Pope Viper »

Mad Max RW wrote:It's gonna be so fucking funny when FO3 is seen as little more than a dumbed down Resident Evil 4 with confusing and boring combat by console gamers. RPG players are gonna start a new game and wonder why they can't chose a class, then lose interest after blowing up the same shit over and over with nukular cannons. Gears of War fans just won't get it. RE fans will get lost after 5 minutes. Who are they making this game for?
I doubt they even know. Seems like they're trying to appeal to every single gamer type out there, yet they're going to fail on them all.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Brother None wrote:
Killzig wrote:how much do you love that diplomacy and stealth are secondary methods/after thoughts in the quest design process?
Baldur's Gate?
:drunk:
edhead
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by edhead »

Brother None wrote:and conversations with NPCs use a similar style of dialogue tree
Can you ask that guy from GI to elaborate? What exactly is similar? Is is similar in the dialogue tree way, or in the one word responses way?
Our Host!