The Game Informer Article

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

too much gears of war influence on those mutants. agree with those that say a chat isn't at all likely.

nuclear catapult is hilariously stupid but then so were a lot of the weapons in FO1/FO2 bozar/gauss/pancor/hkg11.

The third person camera in oblivion/morrowind was so fucking awful that at least reworking it for an OTS view seems like a positive to me.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Killzig wrote:nuclear catapult is hilariously stupid but then so were a lot of the weapons in FO1/FO2 bozar/gauss/pancor/hkg11.
While those weapons didn't really fit in the setting - I don't think they were as ridiculous as a catapult that launches small nukes.
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

Indeed walt
Todd Howard wrote: The spirit of Fallout - we've missed it
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

better has some trebuchets and onagers as well
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Killzig wrote:nuclear catapult is hilariously stupid but then so were a lot of the weapons in FO1/FO2 bozar/gauss/pancor/hkg11.
While those weapons didn't really fit in the setting - I don't think they were as ridiculous as a catapult that launches small nukes.
no absolutely not.

how are they planning on balancing this "keep an eye on your rad count" bullshit element of gameplay with running around the wastes with a pocket full of nuclear ammo/arms? not to mention idiotic enemy AI (guaranteed) that'll just run right at you, especially with those melee happy mutes who you're going to be splattering with said nuclear goo ... :evil_laugh:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

It's the Atomic Age so why not some atomic weapons? It looks like a grenade launcher.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Am i the only one that lost intrest in this game like 2 years ago. :? And this article really makes me go "I dont give a rats ass".
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

i lost interest in paying for this game more than 2 years ago if that makes any difference to you.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

the radio system sounds cool though. might be underused and pointless, but that's one thing that appears to be a genuine addition to the franchise.
Mori
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Mori »

The nuclear catapult seems to be more like a small dirty bomb launcher. It probably does explosive and radiation damage. I think Game Informer knows their main audience, retarded 360 kiddies. OMFG NUKES ACTION sounds better than anything tasteful. It might not even be nuclear. It might just be stylistically similar in terms of bomb shape, and be called the Fatman as a joke.
Doggedmeat
Respected
Respected

Post by Doggedmeat »

Haris wrote:Am i the only one that lost intrest in this game like 2 years ago. :? And this article really makes me go "I dont give a rats ass".
You brought up a point I have been thinking since Bethsoft started announcing anything with the trailer countdown. As a lurker for years now this site has radically changed from being a social site/forum to a soapbox forum of how bad FO3 will suck. Personally I find it dissapointing to see people, I thought interesting, start bitching about a game that is not released yet. Granted there are screenshots and write-ups from people whom likely never gave a shit about the original games and therefore will not make the concious effort to take care in the descriptions of game play. They will loosely convey features in ways that relate to the masses and not fans, which gives us bitching fuel. Take for instance the nuclear catapult. If you run around jumping over shit and whip it out like a BFG, then yes that is prettry freaking gay. However if it is a single purpose weapon used as a plot element then it may turn out interesting. Before getting flamed I admit I did not read the full article, and used the nuclear catapult as an example to illustrate my point. For all I know it could say the cataplut is your starting weapon.

If Bethsoft dropped all reference of Fallout and its title I would probably be interested in playing this game. Having it packaged to me as FO will only make see all the things they did different.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I just read the description of the first mission where you fight the supermutants with the brotherhood's help. What in the HELL?!?!!! Are they kidding? This is the first mission?

Fallout's first mission:
Kill about 10 scorpions with a pistol and a knife.

Fallout 2's first mission:
Kill some big ants with a dull spear and punch and kick a guy till he gives up

Fallout 3's first mission:
Take on a platoon of mutants and one super-boss mutant with the help of your super cool brotherhood friends and a nuke launching weapon (that just happens to be lying around when the super-boss comes out). Once they are all massacred (very diplomatic) Set off a nuclear warhead in the middle of a peaceful town.

Please, somebody try telling me they aren't whoring out our beloved Fallout.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Dogmeatlives wrote:Fallout's first mission:
Kill about 10 scorpions with a pistol and a knife.

Fallout 2's first mission:
Kill some big ants with a dull spear and punch and kick a guy till he gives up

Fallout 3's first mission:
Take on a platoon of mutants and one super-boss mutant with the help of your super cool brotherhood friends and a nuke launching weapon (that just happens to be lying around when the super-boss comes out). Once they are all massacred (very diplomatic) Set off a nuclear warhead in the middle of a peaceful town.
Do all that in FO3 to gain an achievement point!
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

If this dude has the detonator, why doesn't he do it himself? He says, "meet me at the top of this tower, where I have managed to slip unharmed through piles of supermutants and where I will be waiting to simply hand you the detonator so the murder of the innocents is on your conscience and not mine!"

Tremendous quest writing.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I always thought NMA would be the ones that would be like praising it and whatever but it happens to be that they are kinda like us but gayer. They get a lot of flak on the SomethingAweful forums.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I always thought NMA would be the ones that would be like praising it and whatever but it happens to be that they are kinda like us but gayer. They get a lot of flak on the SomethingAweful forums.
SA is disturbingly obsessed with NMA.

As for the difference between DaC and NMA...well, never really been that big, in reality :drunk:

Also also
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

we're not cunts, thats the main diffrence between us and NMA.

And that codex article is exellent.

I say NMA and DAC need to change their home pages to something straightfoward.

Like: "Bethesda full of shit!"
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

RPGCodex wrote: "The spirit of Fallout - we've missed it.", Todd Howard.
As usual, Todd meant it literally.
I lawled.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

that's almost better than Feargus' AWESOME PARTICLE EFFECTS / SLAM DUNK sequence of quotes.

Or that time he came into #Fallout tired, stressed out just to complain that we didn't love him as much as Tim Cain... "our God" ... :drunk: <3 u fearg.
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

they should've just paid fearg to make FO3, they could pay him a lot less, and get the same result.
Todd Howard wrote: The spirit of Fallout - we've missed it
Our Host!