The Game Informer Article

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I hope 4too has an epic poem laid forth for us about the tragedy of Fallout.
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

Id settle for Rosh writing a speil on the FO3 spinoff.
Todd Howard wrote: The spirit of Fallout - we've missed it
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I did some research and I found the answers to all the plot holes.

FEV.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

Mori wrote:
Ausir wrote:
johnnygothisgun wrote: not even close, way smaller

and the reason im disappointed over the mutant is the fact that there should not be super mutants on the east coast... 120 years after the death of the master. i would expect them all to be dead by that time, or at least there to only be like four of them left, and they sure as hell would not be that far east
Why not that far east? According to the Fallout 1 ending, the majority of the Master's super mutants did travel East to find a new home for themselves, and 120 years is a pretty long time, isn't it? As for them being alive, we don't know what the effects of FEV are on the lifespan.
Marcus was still looking pretty healthy 80 or so years after the fall of the master. So were the rest of the super mutants around. Plus if you factor in the new set of mutated workers from the enclave's buggering about in the military based where all their miners mutated, you could easily have some still left. Oblivion's map was much bigger than 10 square miles wasn't it? I heard 16?
how many of the mutants would have been left? very, very few is implied, but perhaps im dead wrong? (i dont think i am)

also, have you ever played oblivion? i do not believe it was 16 square miles, no way. perhaps it is by some technicality that includes measuring the skybox. at any rate, how much of it was accessible or meaningful? yeah
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

They prolly counted all of the water, and the expanson islands as well.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

In reality though, how big was fallout? You had the whole map, but only small individual areas that you were able to move through. How many square miles could you make your way through in the original? 20 or so seems, as an estimate, about right?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

That's true, but because there was a larger map, it didn't feel as cramped as say Oblivion did where everything was located within the SAME 16 square miles. The 20 or so square miles (or there abouts) in fallout are spread all over a more world map so it's not like you walk out of Shady Sands 5 feet and you're in Junk Town.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

The world map made it feel epic, no correction it made it Epic! While I'd like to explore a virtual post apocalyptic city in it's entirety it would never have that feeling.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I always thought NMA would be the ones that would be like praising it and whatever but it happens to be that they are kinda like us but gayer. They get a lot of flak on the SomethingAweful forums.
It is a hidden fact, that SomethingAweful and DaC are a strong alliance against a certain evil source.

:salute: to our brothers.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

DaC-Sniper wrote:It is a hidden fact, that SomethingAweful and DaC are a strong alliance against a certain evil source.

:salute: to our brothers.
The SA guys are practically hoping for a FPS just to spite us.

You might want to rethink your brotherhood.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Ha, I just remembered Shadow Warrior did the nuclear catapult 10 years ago.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Brother None wrote:The SA guys are practically hoping for a FPS just to spite us.
The FPS - part was Bethesda`s idea, mostly Todd and Emil to call names, who betrayed the fans, i`m not sure who of them invented the V.A.T.S. -system, but it is in no way turnbased combat, it also offers less tactical choices, imo. So, this also leads to the point, that NMA`s year long bitching was useless, because in the end it is a FPS. Now that the fight for ISO view and turnbased combat is lost, NMA can only fight for other things, which you want to see in Fallout, if you can call it Fallout, bitching about stuff, which already is designed and in the game is useless and dumb. The community wanted Ron Perlman and they hired him, because they still could add him. SA just did a joke and i liked it.
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

I say NMA and DAC just flame the living fuck out of bethesda for the year left til release, who knows we make enuf of a shit storm and shop enuf pics of crystalbeth employes they might change something.
aries100
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by aries100 »

Why would people in Fallout even consider using nuclear weapons at all, let alone a nuclear catapult?? :roll: :? when the nuclear weapons were what set the world on fire - in the first place... :? That is so :censored:
stupid...since people should be very scared (now) of using any kind of nuclear weapon that does just a fraction of what the nuclear catapult apparently is capable of doing...

I can sort of understand using nuclear fusion cells getting cars to move or fusion cells as ammo (of sorts??) to power some weapons in the game or even to power the power armor?? But to make a nuclear catapult that shoots and look like a small handheld nuclear bomb?? complete with a small mushroom cloud doesn't really make any sense?? Especially since this is prone to get the radiation level up in that particular area?? :anger:

I agree that Gears of War, FEAR, and maybe STALKER has been an inspiration for the designers and the questwriters this time around.
As for the first quest in Fallot 3, yes it sounds like something one would do to get an M$ achievement point! (if one is playing on the Xbox 360, that is).

It's just as if beth saw there were all these great sci-fi post apoc games out there and decided 'hey,let's make one of our own like these' and then 'on, noes' we can't think of a decent setting ourselves' and then 'og, yeah, we will buy the fallout IP, then we can make a game like stalker with gears of war gameplay, focusing on the survival horror aspect of the fallout universe' and then 'oh, and we will make tons and loads of money, too, :evil_laugh: :hahano: '

I'm saying this based on what was said before Oblivion's release. Apparently Bethsoft still wants to make an interactive simulation second life, not a game. Thus we ended up with: GTA: The Fallout Version.
(or something like that).
Last edited by aries100 on Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Since the game is releasing in 2k8, I'm going to hazard a guess and say it'll be Vista only or at least be heavily tilted that way (ie Games For Windows achievements) :chew:

I wouldn't say Gears was an inspiration. Gears was basically their concept art for death animations and "MONSTARRR DESIGN" ... When Sockpuppet200x was talking about "MONSTERS" last week on the meet the devs thread my skin was crawling. It's not just that they've changed the combat to real time and the camera to first person. They've gutted Fallout and turned it into a survival-horror game. What the fuck?

The answer to your first question is shaddup.
aries100
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by aries100 »

DaC-Sniper wrote:
Brother None wrote:The SA guys are practically hoping for a FPS just to spite us.
The FPS - part was Bethesda`s idea, mostly Todd and Emil to call names, who betrayed the fans, i`m not sure who of them invented the V.A.T.S. -system, but it is in no way turnbased combat, it also offers less tactical choices, imo. So, this also leads to the point, that NMA`s year long bitching was useless, because in the end it is a FPS. Now that the fight for ISO view and turnbased combat is lost, NMA can only fight for other things, which you want to see in Fallout, if you can call it Fallout, bitching about stuff, which already is designed and in the game is useless and dumb. The community wanted Ron Perlman and they hired him, because they still could add him. SA just did a joke and i liked it.
I'm so sorry, but I think the battle is now (totally) lost. Beth will continue down this FPS console game for the casual gamer who never have heard of, or even played the original Fallout games. The TB battle is lost and so is the iso battle as well as the battle for decent, various gameplay in which there are several ways to do quests. If you look at Mass Effect and Fallout 3, Mass Effect at least has three different ways than you can do quests and you can probably say no to some quests or missions, too.

My take on this is that Bethsoft will continue to be working in whatever direction they have been taking FO3, since they probably already have laid plans for the rest of FO3's developement - until the game's release in Fall 2008... And by that I mean that the road and quests etc. probably have been written. Now, they just need to make all these things come true...

It is, by now, only small things, I think, the fans can influence, such as Ron Perlman and other small stuff...
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Wolfman Walt wrote:That's true, but because there was a larger map, it didn't feel as cramped as say Oblivion did where everything was located within the SAME 16 square miles. The 20 or so square miles (or there abouts) in fallout are spread all over a more world map so it's not like you walk out of Shady Sands 5 feet and you're in Junk Town.
That's true, but do we know they haven't done the same? They did say that a lot of what worked for oblivion would not work here. The entire article has you hanging out in one town. I imagine they could still have a world map, since we know at least you can go to DC in the game.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Given their recent track record with that article, isn't it just the best to assume the worst from now on? At least until proven otherwise.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

BUT IT HAS LIMITATIONS ON TWITCH GAMING, GUYS! IT WONT BE LIKE ALL THE OTHER FPS GAMES OUT THERE, THIS SERIES HAS ITS ROOTS IN HARD CORE RPG GAMEPLAY. BUY BUY BUY, TEN COPIES APIECE WE PROMISE THE NEXT ONE WILL BE GOOD IF YOU JUST BUY THIS ONE.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

Mad Max RW wrote:Ha, I just remembered Shadow Warrior did the nuclear catapult 10 years ago.
Yes, that's it, I knew I had seen the idea somewhere
Our Host!