Need help

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Talls
SDF!
SDF!

Need help

Post by Talls »

I just recently bought FO:T and I have a few questions on the level editor. I am making a Campaign roughly based on the book "The Bourne Identity" by using the overall plot-about a secret agent out to capture the greatest assassin in the world. However, while I have found making maps a breeze making the triggers is another story. I understand the fundamentals of the triggers but have real trouble when it comes to making a few key things happen. After that lengthy introduction I will begin my questions.

1) I need to make a trigger in which when a single switch is pulled ALL lights in the entire complex go out and stay out for a matter of seconds until the "backup generator" kicks in. This would give the user a chance to kill the lights, get in and get whatever information was needed for the plot, and then get back out again without being seen.

2) I also need learn how to make a NPC die whenever the main character is in a certain area.

3) Lastly I need to figure a way run an introduction where the player doesn't actually play, but watches (like the tutorial). This would allow the player to get a small, but needed, background on the character and plot.

Thanks for all the help and I am sure you will be seeing quite abit of me on this board.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: Need help

Post by OnTheBounce »

Talls wrote:1) I need to make a trigger in which when a single switch is pulled ALL lights in the entire complex go out and stay out for a matter of seconds until the "backup generator" kicks in. This would give the user a chance to kill the lights, get in and get whatever information was needed for the plot, and then get back out again without being seen.
All you have to do for this is to set up a switch (whether it is a plain jane switch or a Science Switch is up to you) w/a Tag Name, give all of your lights a Tag Name (the lights will have to have an identical name) and you'll have to set up a Timer.

The switch and lights are easy, but you'll have to search in the forum for Max Violence's post on Timers. Basically you simply set the Object Script State (OSS) of the switch to control the OSS of the lights. Then you have the timer start counting (up or down, doesn't matter) and when it reaches a certain value have it trip the OSS of the switch.
Talls wrote:2) I also need learn how to make a NPC die whenever the main character is in a certain area.
This will require that the Main Character itself has a Tag Name, and the only way to do this is to start w/a Prefab. If you're willing to do that all you'd have to do is the following "Quantity Unit" trigger:

Condition: [Main Character's Tag Name] has exactly 1 alive at X Zone.

Action: Kill entity [entity that is slated to die's Tag Name] with (death type)

Of course, if all you're going to do is to have the main character and no retinue/followers/underlings then you could simply use a "Quantity Team" or "Quantity Player" trigger w/the appropriate team/player index substituted for the main character's tag name.
Talls wrote:3) Lastly I need to figure a way run an introduction where the player doesn't actually play, but watches (like the tutorial). This would allow the player to get a small, but needed, background on the character and plot.
IIRC Max Violence's Jailbreak campaign started this way. You could DL the mission and play it and then use it as a starting point/springboard for your own particular idea(s).

The other option would be to record what you're wanting to have the player see as a BIK file using the appropriate software, then use a "Play BINK Movie" trigger like was used for the intro, chapter breaks and so forth in the core campaign. That would take up a lot of memory, though, and would probably irritate ppl trying to dl it w/a 56k connection. ;)
Talls wrote:Thanks for all the help and I am sure you will be seeing quite abit of me on this board.
We can always use another Map Rat. :)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Here's the tut on Timers.
On-The_Bounce wrote:IIRC Max Violence's Jailbreak campaign started this way
Jailbreak had a mini-intro, but Rebellion's intro had more content.

The only problem with having the human player not have any actors to control (so they just watch the intro) is that if something happens in a building, underground, etc., any roof or roof-like thing won't "pop" to show whatever's going on. So, like I did with both JB's and RB's intro, you need a/some triggers to change an actor's player index to 1 so the roof pops then another trigger to change the PI back to NPC, or you need to make sure no part of your intro happens "under" anything.

Basically, in order to get an intro working, all you really need to to is script your intro with an Always condition so the intro starts right when the map does. Note, however, that if you have a mission briefing, the briefing will be shown before the intro.
Talls wrote:1) I need to make a trigger in which when a single switch is pulled ALL lights in the entire complex go out and stay out for a matter of seconds until the "backup generator" kicks in. This would give the user a chance to kill the lights, get in and get whatever information was needed for the plot, and then get back out again without being seen.
You could use a timer to do that, sure. However, if the lights are only going to be out "a matter of seconds," you could just add a Wait action after your OSS action that turns the lights off, and then (after the Wait), toggle the OSS of the lights back on (or toggle the OSS of the backup generator, which in turn turns the lights back on). Either way would work. Just be sure to check/tick Blocking on your Wait action. Otherwise, it won't wait :mrgreen:
Talls wrote:Thanks for all the help and I am sure you will be seeing quite abit of me on this board.
Yer welcome! If/when you have any more questions, you know where we are! :D
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Our Host!