Hard hitting, intelligent reporting

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

congrats, thor. :postcount:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

danke
It was hard work but it feels good to have finally reached the top of e-leveldom
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I just registered at 1up and left a pretty pissed off comment about the "article".

"This article is a complete insult to anyone reading it. This is the first trailer released for this game and you people open your mouths without discovering that the voice at the end recites the catch-phrase of pretty much the entire series! It is Ron Pearlman, the guy that narrates the opening scenes in both FO1 and 2. That doesn't take a brain surgeon. Secondly, I cannot believe the one-sidedness of this article. There seems to be nobody at 1UP that might think that Oblivion with Guns may not be such a good thing.

I had to register after reading this article and I will never return to this site but let me inform anyone else reading this story. The Fallout series is often credited with bringing RPGs back from the dead. They are held in high regard by anyone calling themselves an RPG fan. The gameplay is still innovative, as no game has even come close to Fallout's interactivity since. This article is an embarrasment to 1UP and a shining pillar for corruption in gaming journalism.

If anybody wants unfiltered Fallout 3 news, visit No Mutants Allowed or Duckandcover.cx. Neither site is paid by Bethesda to scam people into buying it's games. "

I also urge anyone else pissed off by this to register and leave a comment of your own. It takes two minutes to register.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

I loved the first two Fallouts to death, but now is not the time for another isometric turn-based RPG.
I'd really love to hear the explanation for this bullshit. Anyone feel like emailing Jeff?

In my opinion, isometric RPGs existed because at the time they were the best way to offer a bustling, beautiful world in a format that could be easily combined with a rigid statistical RPG system, the likes of which was still needed to simulate things which can now truly be generated by a computer game.

If Fallout 1 had been created today by the same team with the same attitude and the same money converted to it's 2007 equivalent, the only thing different being the available technology, I suspect it would have been a third person controllable camera or even a first person game.

Now that we have the technology and hardware, there's no reason to use old methods. I loved Fallout's atmosphere, but Troika's Vampire Bloodlines still impressed me significantly with the atmosphere it generated by putting you in the eyes of your character.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

That a joke? I liked Vampire enough, but the combat was shit in it and everything was so fucking closed up that it felt like the city consisted of 3 blocks, a bar, and a sewer. Just because another game is able to create a good atmosphere from a different perspective doesn't mean that all of a sudden Fallout should join the band wagon. As mentioned by someone else, Fallout 1 and 2 (In before Psychosniper says something stupid) had excellent atmosphere, so why change it? Besides, "just ANOTHER isometric turn-based RPG"? How many exactly are coming out this year or in the next comming years? Just ANOTHER isometric turn-based RPG? It's fucking Fallout. It's like saying Half Life 2 was just another FPS. Let me put it this way, when I play Street Fighter, I wanna play a fighting game with 2-d sprites and not anything else just because some putz feels that the formula needs to be changed because another game had success.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

T-900 wrote:In my opinion, isometric RPGs existed because at the time they were the best way to offer a bustling, beautiful world in a format that could be easily combined with a rigid statistical RPG system, the likes of which was still needed to simulate things which can now truly be generated by a computer game.

If Fallout 1 had been created today by the same team with the same attitude and the same money converted to it's 2007 equivalent, the only thing different being the available technology, I suspect it would have been a third person controllable camera or even a first person game.

Now that we have the technology and hardware, there's no reason to use old methods. I loved Fallout's atmosphere, but Troika's Vampire Bloodlines still impressed me significantly with the atmosphere it generated by putting you in the eyes of your character.
First person RPGs are pretty much as old as the whole genre. You are forgetting a myriad of classic RPGs if you claim that first-person RPGs came into existence only recently, just to offer the player the same content but in a modern package.

The viewpoint of an RPG is a choice that defines the mechanics of the rest of the game, such as combat, party control et cetera. Fallout actually tried to incorporate some PnP elements to the CRPG genre; one reason that made Fallout what it is. Isometric view was the best choice for that purpose. The only choice. It simply wouldn't have worked in first person, but there was nothing that would've stopped them from doing a first person RPG. Top down/isometric actually derive from roguelike RPGs, whereas first person view fits a dungeon crawler RPG like Oblivion -- very different types of CRPGs.

Fallout is not a dungeon crawler.
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

FO3 will be. :(
Todd Howard wrote: The spirit of Fallout - we've missed it
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

Have some imagination and see what could be done rather than what has been done. :chick:
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

I see, and it looks like shit.

If you want a FPS game, play oblivion fuckwit.
Todd Howard wrote: The spirit of Fallout - we've missed it
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

T-900 wrote:Have some imagination and see what could be done rather than what has been done. :chick:
I think this line of argumentation has been summarized as follows:

1. Don't criticize the game until you've seen the gameplay
2. Don't criticize the game until it's been released
3. Don't criticize the game until you're read the reviews
4. Don't criticize the game until it's been fully patched
5. Don't criticize the game until you've seen the second part of the trilogy
6. Go to step 1.

AKA "Don't criticize the game until X." It's called an infinite deflection of criticism loop, fanboy.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

What's the saying; if it looks like shit, smells like shit, then it's shit?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I always heard it as: "If it looks like shit, smells like shit, do I have to eat it to make sure it's shit?"
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Hmm, yeah you're right.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

T-900 wrote:Have some imagination and see what could be done rather than what has been done. :chick:
Oh wow, you totally crushed my argument there. If it turns out bad, let's just imagine it's not.
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by PsychoSnipers »

Wolfman Walt wrote:I always heard it as: "If it looks like shit, smells like shit, do I have to eat it to make sure it's shit?"
Indeed.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

It's a different kind of turd, ala Oblivion. See, it's shit in candy wrapping. Some smell it from miles away -- others have to put it in their mouth and chew for a while before they figure it out.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

DaC hones mental keenness. :hug:
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Wow, St. Toxic. What was death like?
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Well I've already taken my calm and I'm over the "Fallout can only be the old fallouts with nothing changed" dilemma.

Yes, it's going to be a oblivion styled game. With style I don't mean 100% Oblivion, I mean the idea behind Oblivion, which they utterly fucked. Imagine (yes, I'm drunk...have to for discussion like this) if the made the olibion style game work at it's best. Da perfect fps-rpg up to date! Could it be possible, yes. Is it likely? No. I don't frea the game-idea-itself, just the way they do it.

I hope they understood, that Oblivion was piss job. Think about the elements in Oblivion (which were squashed and buttfucked in Oblivion) and think about them made perfect. Now that's something I could live with in Fallout 3.

Ps. I really hope that there won't be some shit biting and attacking me behind every fucking ruin or corner. Hell, it's a bloody desolate wasteland (...i hope...). There won't be that much people, nor bloody dangerous biting reptiles. Enviroment is another matter though.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I and Captain Barbossa went and rescued St-Toxic. He can once again preach the good lessons.
Our Host!