The Fallout 3 Teaser Trailer and updated info

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

haha,
here are a few more reminders of how much worse it could have (well, has) been

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kxq3Rmq1ho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz4i_iXNP-E

"this was my playground... these were my toys" :chainsaw:
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I liked it a lot. It does feel a little "forced". My only gripe is we pretty much confirmed the game takes place in DC (Washington Monument in background). Fallout is supposed to have several cities, a couple dozen places, and vast wastelands in between. Even Bethesda's technique of one giant central city, a couple small towns, and tons of dungeons feels tiny by comparison.

It's cool to hear them use the original Ink Spots song planned for Fallout 1. I like the look. I even like the new power armor. Hearing old Ron Perlman again nearly gave me a chill. Now show us some gameplay footage.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Gorgmeg wrote:The reason the power armor looks weird or shitty or like its been cobbled together from random pieces lying around is because it IS. I can't believe none of you or any of the people at NMA have even realized this. This isn't the old-fashioned power armor in Fallout 1 and 2 that was basically a relic from the times before World War 3, its the power armor that the Brotherhood Of Steel has finally been able to replicate and mass-produce. Remember how the Brotherhood Of Steel sent people East in search of what lay beyond the desert? Why would they be sending people in holy, original, irreplaceable power armor? It doesn't take a genius to figure out that they wouldn't, and these people would have to improvise. As the Brotherhood of Steel grows in size, its ridiculous to think that there would be enough original suits of T-51b for everyone. Come on, think people.
Hehe, how droll...
MegaGeorge wrote:Come on, think people.
Grogmaggog wrote:Come on, think people.
GregandDharma wrote:Come on, think people.
Dharma wrote:Come on, think people.
GregFocker wrote:Come on, think people.
Gaylord wrote:Come on, think people.
GaylordFocker wrote:Come on, think people.
Gay wrote:Come on, think people.
Dubya wrote:Come on, think people.
ALERT! ALERT! ENTER YOUR HOMES!!! AIIEEE!!
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Gorgmeg wrote:The reason the power armor looks weird or shitty or like its been cobbled together from random pieces lying around is because it IS.
Okay. The world is over. It ended several generations ago. YOU cobble together the intelligence as well as technical and mechanical skill - not to mention the facilities - to manufacture ANYTHING, much less one of the pinnacles of human achievement before the bomb. Try it. Seriously.

I can't believe none of you or any of the people at NMA have even realized this. This isn't the old-fashioned power armor in Fallout 1 and 2 that was basically a relic from the times before World War 3,
No shit? I seriously thought they just suck ass at modeling. MY BAD, DAWG!

its the power armor that the Brotherhood Of Steel has finally been able to replicate and mass-produce.
For your sake and Bethesdas, I sure as fuck hope not.

Remember how the Brotherhood Of Steel sent people East in search of what lay beyond the desert?
Remember playing the game? They were chasing the mutant army. In zeppelins, no less. It wasn't exploration. It was harassment by a faction within the Brotherhood that shouldn't have existed (i.e. stupid plot device) in the first place.

Why would they be sending people in holy, original, irreplaceable power armor?
Why do you think that game is canon?

It doesn't take a genius
Clearly. You seemed to have discovered it.

to figure out that they wouldn't, and these people would have to improvise.
Again. See my first comment. Let's see YOU improvise the research, testing, development, and production required for such a feat. The Enclave was able to do it, but they had an absolute treasure trove of all the things you'd need. The knowledge, blueprints, facilities, and devices required for it. They were even able to improve upon the design. They were unable, however, to mass produce it. Produce it yes, but slowly. I'd imagine they could easily have mass produced a low quality power armor, but this drives us to the question... why? In a wasteland dominated by scavengers and raiders using light armaments it would be much smarter to have a small, elite force of impenetrable monsters capable of squashing any opposition underneath their feet than to have a horde of untrained, unskilled soldiers recklessly stomping across the wasteland (Stormtroopers?).

As the Brotherhood of Steel grows in size, its ridiculous to think that there would be enough original suits of T-51b for everyone. Come on, think people.
Again to my comment about canon. The eastern Brotherhood was not the Brotherhood. It was a poorly designed idea that, god willing, will be ignored or, at the very least, left to background rumor and superstition within the game itself.

Not to mention that even considering the Eastern Brotherhood canon and developing the plotline as such (again, god help us all), there would be no reason to mass produce such a suit. Even if you COULD somehow manage to cobble together the things required to manufacture armored suits you would be much smarter to develop them like the Enclave did, not simply spit out junk. An elite core of warriors to apply pressure at the points that your regular army cannot break.

And yet AGAIN, discussing this as the Brotherhood shown in the video, and yet AGAIN, praying it is not, if they have spread to Washington DC what in the hell do they need power armor for? They've conquered half of a continent and would have manpower enough to simply crush opposition underneath bodies. What force could possibly topple them?

I could go into another tangent of Vault 0 and the robots and facilities there giving potential access to advanced mechanics and engineering, but I won't. I'm tired and your "argument" is simply stupid.

As far as it being T-45d, I don't have time or patience to scroll through the Bibles to see what it actually says about the suit, but based on what the Vault says there is not a shot in hell of this being it.
While lacking the full mobility of future versions
incredibly effective against Chinese tanks and infantry.
(bolded emphasis mine)
Its ability to carry heavy ordinance became key in various localized conflicts, and it had the power to destroy entire towns without endangering the wearer.
This sounds to me like a serious piece of gear more on the scale of a mecha out of an anime. Not so far as size, but just a massive, bulky piece of hardware, a very heavily (quantity as well as quality) armored suit. Not at all the one shown in the video.
Last edited by jetbaby on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I don't see any reason why the Brotherhood couldn't build more suits. They were pretty advanced in the first game and even had a guy building/repairing them. Some of you guys are fucking lunatics when it comes to nitpicking.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

It's actually stated in the Vault, at least, that they cannot reproduce it.

I for one agree with you, though, Max. I can't recall anything from the game that said otherwise. Especially post Fallout 2, given access to even SOME of the knowledge that the Enclave had.

Even if they couldn't then I would imagine the (western) Brotherhood could soon after FO2.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Christ almighty I just rewatched the video and he has the Brotherhood emblem on his chest. God help us all. God help us all.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

The chinks in frisco sold bitchloads of power armors. There must be a nest somewhere...
���������
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Gorgmeg wrote:The reason the power armor looks weird or shitty or like its been cobbled together from random pieces lying around is because it IS. I can't believe none of you or any of the people at NMA have even realized this. This isn't the old-fashioned power armor in Fallout 1 and 2 that was basically a relic from the times before World War 3, its the power armor that the Brotherhood Of Steel has finally been able to replicate and mass-produce. Remember how the Brotherhood Of Steel sent people East in search of what lay beyond the desert? Why would they be sending people in holy, original, irreplaceable power armor? It doesn't take a genius to figure out that they wouldn't, and these people would have to improvise. As the Brotherhood of Steel grows in size, its ridiculous to think that there would be enough original suits of T-51b for everyone. Come on, think people.
Power Armor is advanced technology, it's not some shit that you stick together with glue in your lap. And if BoS had the capability to produce Power Armor, then they would certainly have put in the effort to produce it from proper materials and not random junk that you find in the wasteland.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

the BOS emblem doesn't need to mean it's a BOS member or even BOS armor. It can utilize BOS-originated scrap metal. Or it's a BOS imposter. Or the guys saw the logo sumwhere and thought it'd be cool to carve it on their armors. Ok or it could be that the eastern BOS are the uber-fucking-villains of Fo3 :gnasher:
PiP

Post by PiP »

Gimp Mask wrote:haha,
here are a few more reminders of how much worse it could have (well, has) been

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kxq3Rmq1ho
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz4i_iXNP-E

"this was my playground... these were my toys" :chainsaw:
oh for fuck's sake I'll never get used to these fallout thongs D:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

PiP wrote:HIGH-DETAIL IN-GAME MODEL => FPP VIEW => REAL TIME => NOT FALLOUT.
I actually got the opposite impression the first time I watched it. Graphicswise, it looks like an early 2000's shooter, which could imply it's not meant to be viewed from close distance. Also, there's no bump mapping and other thingamajigs seen in Oblivion. But those can be added later, so I can be totally wrong. Still, I'm hopeful Bethesda has the balls to do the unexpected and implement oldskool CRPG combat.:)
PiP wrote:the BOS emblem doesn't need to mean it's a BOS member or even BOS armor. It can utilize BOS-originated scrap metal. Or it's a BOS imposter. Or the guys saw the logo sumwhere and thought it'd be cool to carve it on their armors. Ok or it could be that the eastern BOS are the uber-fucking-villains of Fo3 :gnasher:
Or that it's a teaser designed for marketing purposes and to present the engine and has no fucking relevance at this stage.
PiP

Post by PiP »

VasikkA wrote:I actually got the opposite impression the first time I watched it. Graphicswise, it looks like an early 2000's shooter, which could imply it's not meant to be viewed from close distance. Also, there's no bump mapping and other thingamajigs seen in Oblivion. But those can be added later, so I can be totally wrong. Still, I'm hopeful Bethesda has the balls to do the unexpected and implement oldskool CRPG combat.:)
true, I might have an outdated standard of comparison. Hopes up! :joy:
Vas wrote: Or that it's a teaser designed for marketing purposes and to present the engine and has no fucking relevance at this stage.
you think they'd make such a PA model just for the teaser's sake? ('in-engine assets' mind you)
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

PiP wrote:
Vas wrote: Or that it's a teaser designed for marketing purposes and to present the engine and has no fucking relevance at this stage.
you think they'd make such a PA model just for the teaser's sake? ('in-engine assets' mind you)
You're right, they've probably thought it out knowing fans will analyze every pixel of the teaser. It's quite obvious that BoS must have a role in a Fallout game. The question is however what role they will assume. Friend or foe? A joinable 'guild' or a static bystander(a la Fallout 2). Whatever it is, it better be different from FOT and FOBOS.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Mad Max RW wrote:I don't see any reason why the Brotherhood couldn't build more suits. They were pretty advanced in the first game and even had a guy building/repairing them. Some of you guys are fucking lunatics when it comes to nitpicking.
Repairing, yes, but they didn't have the production capacities to build new suits of power armor.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

it looked a bit like silent storm to me. the graphics werent as good as say oblivion.

i also dont give a little ducks ass fuck if the brotherhood of steel is in washington or whatever.
:chew:
PiP

Post by PiP »

Megatron wrote:it looked a bit like silent storm to me. the graphics werent as good as say oblivion.
you mean the PA model quality or what
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

Question: Is the BOS logo pre-nuc or post-nuc? That is, was it created for the purpose of the BOS, or was it the logo of the North American Annex "armed services" or whatever before the war?
Death to quotes.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

PiP wrote:it could be that the eastern BOS are the uber-fucking-villains of Fo3 :gnasher:
"LET OUR PEOPLE GO! 101010101010001001110001010!" -- Calculus, Washington DC, 2404 A.D.

Maybe Beths are planning that the PC will be able to join the Calculus (a Calculus?) and become a robot and fight for robot-rights in the dystopian society the evil, drunken humans have created after the war!?

I, sincerely, hope that Beth does not consider FOT to be canon, and thus do not use any of that material in FO3... that would be disastrous, to say the least.

P.S.
jetbaby wrote:bla bla Powerarmour bla bla
Jetbaby, you have been trolled.

P.P.S.
MR Snake wrote:this trailer really sucked, much like alexander does for spare change.

But seriously, the movie was lame..
In that case, how fortunate it is that you are around -- as you do that sort of thing for free.

But seriously, people, step right up!
Last edited by Alexander on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

WTF?!
Our Host!