starcraft 2 was just announced

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Atrokkus wrote:
I hope they change the Terrans a bit, they were the cheap noob's first choice; shitty camping with bunkers/tanks, and then nukes.
lol
Terrans are the hardest race to play, by and large. lots of micro involved.
I doubt it, I'd say it's the Zerg, due to the sheer mass of units that you have. And don't say that: "All you do with Zerg is CNTR + A" because it's not.

However, Terran are underpowered. like 90% of all the top Starcraft players are Zerg / Protoss, there's very few Terran at the top. especially because Terrans are relatively underpowered at lategame.

For example, easiest lategame strategy for Zerg against Terran, mass a bunch of Zerglings and Hydralisks, Dark Swarm the Bunkers and rush. It's the key to victory. For Protoss, the reply to this tactic is Psionic Storm, but there isn't jackshit that Terrans can do.
Atrokkus
Respected
Respected

Post by Atrokkus »

However, Terran are underpowered. like 90% of all the top Starcraft players are Zerg / Protoss, there's very few Terran at the top. especially because Terrans are relatively underpowered at lategame.
Bullshit. Sevral of the most powerful players in the history are terrans.
Terrans are just harder to play, somewhat, but in Korean proleagues that is not an issue -- everyone has micro sophisticated enough to compensate the seemingly glaring imbalance.
(btw, one of the major leagues currently has 60% terrans and 40% divided between the rest)
I doubt it, I'd say it's the Zerg, due to the sheer mass of units that you have. And don't say that: "All you do with Zerg is CNTR + A" because it's not.
Have you ever tried playing TvZ versus a good player? Since mech is not an option, you go marine&medic + tanks + drops + vessels. NOw, marines are very fragile and you have to endure early lurkers and then late forces of ultralisks / fullyupgraded zerglings (true horror) all covered under dark swarm. Plus, you'll have to micro the vessels to use both irradiate and defensive matrix and keep them alive. That's just crazy micro, believe me. Controlling zergs is easier because you dont have to worry about the small things, you mostly control them by packs (like, zerglings surround). and ultralisks need hardly any micro at all. Dark swarm is not a hard spell to use either (just have to keep your defilers hotkeyed and accesibile).
So no, terrans are clearly more micro-intensive. Any progamer will tell you that.

For example, easiest lategame strategy for Zerg against Terran, mass a bunch of Zerglings and Hydralisks, Dark Swarm the Bunkers and rush. It's the key to victory. For Protoss, the reply to this tactic is Psionic Storm, but there isn't jackshit that Terrans can do.
Crappy strategy. Hydras are meat against siege tanks and marines. True horror is zerglings/ultras/lurkers (mutas too, but for harass usually) and of course defilers and other support troops (queen is also handy). Sure hydralisks are used sometimes but it's not that effective because by the time they come up to your siege tank blocakda nd have a chance to come within the shooting range of hydra's squirts, the tanks would have decimated their numbers. Zerglings/ultras here are much more effective here.
Zerg is about macro -- you have to use many unit types and balance their numbers, especially given the huge production rate. Fail at some small number balance, and you might lose a battle because your force is not balanced enough.
Previously known as metallix...

CRPG.ru Editorial Staff
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I hated expansion, as a sidenote. I think the Terrans got shafted on new units. If the medic's AI wasn't fucked so I had to micro every one that is in a fight it wouldn't be so bad, but even still. Valks dominate the skies, sure, but that just means they don't go air. And Dark Templar/Lurkers > medics.

Granted I haven't played in forever since I lost my discs years ago.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Atrokkus wrote:
Bullshit. Sevral of the most powerful players in the history are terrans.
Terrans are just harder to play, somewhat, but in Korean proleagues that is not an issue -- everyone has micro sophisticated enough to compensate the seemingly glaring imbalance.
(btw, one of the major leagues currently has 60% terrans and 40% divided between the rest)
Sure, several of the most powerful players in the history are Terrans, while the vast majority is Zerg / Protoss. It's a fact.
Atrokkus wrote:
Have you ever tried playing TvZ versus a good player?
No. I play Protoss.
Atrokkus wrote:
Crappy strategy. Hydras are meat against siege tanks and marines. True horror is zerglings/ultras/lurkers (mutas too, but for harass usually) and of course defilers and other support troops (queen is also handy). Sure hydralisks are used sometimes but it's not that effective because by the time they come up to your siege tank blocakda nd have a chance to come within the shooting range of hydra's squirts, the tanks would have decimated their numbers. Zerglings/ultras here are much more effective here.
Zerg is about macro -- you have to use many unit types and balance their numbers, especially given the huge production rate. Fail at some small number balance, and you might lose a battle because your force is not balanced enough.
Reread what I wrote and realize why your reply didn't make any sense.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Haha, that was so predictable.
Atrokkus
Respected
Respected

Post by Atrokkus »

Zerg / Protoss. It's a fact.
Fact? Man you're clueless. Check the league rankings more often. Protoss are the minority. Bisu was one of the few protoss who had won the grand leagues in latest years.
I'm just saying that even the example you've provided was groundless, to say the least.
I already tald you what the terran does against all that -- marines&medics, tanks (drops), vessels (irradiate/matrix), and sometimes even vultures (for mine traps on enemy retreat routes). It works just fine if your micro is gosu-level.
Previously known as metallix...

CRPG.ru Editorial Staff
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Atrokkus wrote:
I'm just saying that even the example you've provided was groundless, to say the least.
I already tald you what the terran does against all that -- marines&medics, tanks (drops), vessels (irradiate/matrix), and sometimes even vultures (for mine traps on enemy retreat routes). It works just fine if your micro is gosu-level.
I'm clueless? Do you know what Dark Swarm does?
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

nigga please, meta is one of the biggest sc nerds on this planet, he knows his shit B)
dark swarm gives ground units protection against ranged attacks.

He was saying that the comparably slow and vulnerable hydras get toasted by tankfire before they can have any considerable affect.

Ultras have the hitpoints and armor (Marines are totally helpless against them) and Lings do most of the damage, that's why this combo is superior in most cases.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Who the hell is meta?
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

atrokkus aka metallix
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Oh, never knew that :aiee:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Attrokus = high ranking SC player = wow DAC is famous?

Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Thor Kaufman wrote:nigga please, meta is one of the biggest sc nerds on this planet, he knows his shit B)
dark swarm gives ground units protection against ranged attacks.
Hence, Dark Swarm + Zerglings + Ultralisks + Lurkers > Siege Tanks + Marines + Medics.

I don't care if he's good or not, but it's just humerous how he calls like the best cookie-cutter Zerg strategy that has been used for years a crap strategy.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

maybe that is because he's still a noob(tm) or doesn't want to acknowledge historical evidence
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Let's rewrite SC history, folks :salute:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Nerds. All of you.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Earth_Directorate

Their fleet was decimated, scattered, and mostly destroyed. WIKI NEVER LIES.

S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

jeah
SoldiersOfHope
SDF!
SDF!

Post by SoldiersOfHope »

Looks pretty sick. It better be amazing and that Nuka Cola screen was a good laugh.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Just look at what you miss out on being homeless. Still, not Asian and not especially interested. Always liked the setting and the plots; however, micro-managment is not my forté.
Our Host!