starcraft 2 was just announced

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I think it looks pretty god damn good. The screenshot gallery is impressive, and I'd love to see a gameplay video. Is the one on the site not up or something?

The best part is the FAQ specifically states SC2 is being developed for PC with NO PLANS FOR CONSOLE. You know they're gonna port it eventually, but at least it won't happen for a very long time.

(Edit) Gameplay vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1KnmnFxHoE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1RxXko-AnM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=050akGtHDM4
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I think RTS reached it's full height years ago; every new game is just more of the same.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

That goes with every genre. Although I though Rome Total War was a pretty good leap forward.

After watching the SC2 videos I'm fairly excited. Mass numbers of expendable units, good graphics, they totally nailed the look and feel, and it seems fun.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Max, you have grown soft in your old age. Normally anything that was announced you would diss as being just the same or noobish, what happened to the old bastard we knew?
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

i think it looks good too. i just hope they don't overdo the unit specialization. like if marines are only effective against hydras and nothing else
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

I might even buy it gosh
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

yeah im pertty psyched, it looks mucho bueno

one of the things that always kinda sorta annoyed me about starcraft was that every unit did the same damage to every other unit, regardless of weapon or armor type, so i would like some specialization to a degree, but as urizen indicated, i dont want it out of control, because then it wouldnt be starcraft

but yeah, it looks so friggin starcraft. just like the game we've been expecting since 1998. i will echo teatime in saying im just about as excited for the campaigns as i am for any other element of this game. blizzard puts some really well made campaigns in their rts games, and its generally three really good campaigns in each one. it will be exciting to revisit that storyline after so long
Last edited by johnnygothisgun on Sat May 19, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

It looks alright. Im more excited about the new COH expansion.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Dogmeatlives wrote:It looks alright. Im more excited about the new COH expansion.
if youre talking company of heroes make a new thread, nigga, i am too
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

johnnygothisgun wrote:yeah im pertty psyched, it looks mucho bueno

one of the things that always kinda sorta annoyed me about starcraft was that every unit did the same damage to every other unit, regardless of weapon or armor type, so i would like some specialization to a degree, but as urizen indicated, i dont want it out of control, because then it wouldnt be starcraft
that's not right, you know. you've got small, medium and large units, and damage depends on what hits what. take a look at the card that came with your copy.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Max, you have grown soft in your old age. Normally anything that was announced you would diss as being just the same or noobish, what happened to the old bastard we knew?
This actually looks good, though. I bashed the shit out of Starcraft Ghost when it was announced. Looks like Blizzard wised up by flushing that turd and making what everybody really wants.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

johnnygothisgun wrote:it will be exciting to revisit that storyline after so long

What storyline? It pretty much ended with Brood War. The Protoss are all but annihilated, exhiled on Shakuras with the Dark Templar. Humanity as a whole is broken and running scared. The Sons of Korhol government was blasted into a thousand pieces by the UEF and the UEF government was dragged out and shot in the face by Kerrigan. The Zerg are the only ones in any reasonable position of power, with Kerrigan having reclaimed the entirety of the Zerg swarm. The other two races are nothing but faded powers lost past their moment of glory. The plot really kind of ended in a horrible spot for continuation. All the great heros are dead. Only Jim Raynor and that stupid Artemis guy are still alive.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Urizen wrote:
johnnygothisgun wrote:yeah im pertty psyched, it looks mucho bueno

that's not right, you know. you've got small, medium and large units, and damage depends on what hits what. take a look at the card that came with your copy.
huh, i dont remember that at all. i guess i really havent played it in a long time
jetbaby wrote:
johnnygothisgun wrote:it will be exciting to revisit that storyline after so long

What storyline? It pretty much ended with Brood War. The Protoss are all but annihilated, exhiled on Shakuras with the Dark Templar. Humanity as a whole is broken and running scared. The Sons of Korhol government was blasted into a thousand pieces by the UEF and the UEF government was dragged out and shot in the face by Kerrigan. The Zerg are the only ones in any reasonable position of power, with Kerrigan having reclaimed the entirety of the Zerg swarm. The other two races are nothing but faded powers lost past their moment of glory. The plot really kind of ended in a horrible spot for continuation. All the great heros are dead. Only Jim Raynor and that stupid Artemis guy are still alive.
what storyline? uh... perhaps the one you just summarized?
NATIK
Respected
Respected

Post by NATIK »

The UEF fleet made it back to Earth as far as I remember and the UEF itself was untouched by the Zerg, the rest is correct though but it is unlikely that the Protoss is content with their banishment from Aiur. As for Terran Confederate remains returning, it is unlikely all non UEF terrans were wiped out, they could well retreat and return in force.

It is very much a good place to pick up the storyline. Remember how Warcraft 2 ended.

Warcraft 2 + exp: The orcs have been almost wiped out and Dreanor is presumed lost. (this is approximatly how Starcraft looks right now, except there is no reason to invent new races as there are already enough to give the zerg a run for their money in another all out war)

The ending of Starcraft suggest that Kerrigan is in total command of Zerg, Confederate and Protoss space only, UEF space is untouched and the fleet returns home, only the admiral was shot (by himself).

On top of that we got Stukovs masters who have yet to show themselves. They are either the Xel'naga attempting to regain control of the Zerg experiment or it is someone new with an interest in Protoss/Zerg and Terran/Zerg Hybrids.

I have personally been waiting since I completed Starcraft the first time for a followup telling of the struggles of the Terrans and Protoss against the swarm.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Muahaha...it's time for one of my buddies to be my bitch again! He always got his ass kic...well more like ravished beyond repair. Time to live for the swarm...
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

[HpA]SniperPotato wrote:big fukkin pic
I hope these aren't zerglings... :blahblah:

Great, I got a new wallpaper now. Very :starship troopers:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

More like :Warhammer40k:. I'm suprised the GW lawyer death brigade hasn't been sending suicide bombers to Blizzard yet. Then again, Starcraft has always been kind of a rip off of 40k (as previousily discussed). Not like that's bad, and it's not like 40k doesn't in turn rip shit off from other folks.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH GOSH OH G - :drunk:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Are you a screamer blargh?
Our Host!