Old gamer, new to Fallout...

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
NATIK
Respected
Respected

Post by NATIK »

I love you Blargh :hug: don't ever change.
A Boy And His Dog
SDF!
SDF!

Post by A Boy And His Dog »

Cthulhu wrote:Wait... Research? Is it the substitute for Science in the UK version?
Ahh...I messed up, hehe. It is Science...don't know why i said Research.

Well, Enkidu sure has had a wild couple of days adventuring in the Wasteland. His time in Shady Sands is at an end, but he isn't ready to believe that he should ever leave the Vault again.

After meeting up with the leaders of the small outpost, he decided to help them with their Radscorpion problem. Making new friends is a must if he wants to survive. After clearing out the caves, he was richly rewarded with bottle caps...umm...bottle caps? Well yes, bottle caps! Everyone takes them in bartering and you never know when you will need to exchange some for a stimpack, some bullets, or a quick roll in zeee hay!

Anyway, Enkidu found a good friend in the town, Ian. Ian decided to tag along, and seemed to be a really good guy...even if he does like running away like a scared little bitch...umm...but that's later.

Enkidu also found out the location of Vault 15, but was begged by the town elders to help rescue a young lady named Tanida. Being the dashing hero that he was, and fully planning on letting Ian take most of the hits, the two intrepid heroes headed out to the Khan Raiders crib.

Well, things got messy folks. We snuck around back and entered the fortification....if you can call it that. We found Tanida, locked up and looking like Paris Hilton, all hot, sweaty, ni...umm...anyway...we decided to pick the lock...but I just couldn't get it to open. I felt like I could easily kill the Raider guarding Tanida, and get out as quick as possible.

But, it didn't happen. A vicious firefight broke out and although I was able to kill the Khan leaders, and those guarding Tanida, Ian was badly injured and ran into the Wasteland night screaming like a little girl. I haven't seen him since.

Tanida was returned to her father, and a rich reward was again given to me. Enkidu searched for Ian in Shady Sands, but could not find him. He set off for Junktown, in hopes of finding him there, and doing some trading before going to Vault 15.

It's been very fun so far. I was even able to help the farmer in Shady Sands with his crop rotation, and earned some good xp for that. Nice touch, I'd say since I am sure it was because of my high Science skill.

I do hate that Ian left...from what I've read he helps you the whole game? I may be screwed now that I have no help. Also, I helped out the general store owner in Junktown, and even got an xp bonus for it, but then was fired upon by the guards in the city. A bug?

Anyway, great fun...I'm glad I'm playing the game finally as it is a real blast.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

If you grab Dogmeat in Junktown you won't miss Ian. He isn't coming back by the way. Grab Cassidy in the bar in Junktown and Ian will be forgotten instantly.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
NATIK
Respected
Respected

Post by NATIK »

A Boy And His Dog wrote:I do hate that Ian left...from what I've read he helps you the whole game? I may be screwed now that I have no help. Also, I helped out the general store owner in Junktown, and even got an xp bonus for it, but then was fired upon by the guards in the city. A bug?
You probably forgot to remove your weapon when running around in there, they dont like that.

And yes, forget Ian, he is a bitch anyways and he likes to shoot you in the back everytime he gets the chance.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

johnnygothisgun wrote:he certainly doesnt need a rogue and quite biased extremist fanboy opinion
the way I feel it, DAC is about biased extremist fanboys :duckie:. Yet this guy came over here for the tips.
NATIK wrote:I love you Blargh :hug: don't ever change.
this is the sweatest thing that any noob has ever said at DAC :rofl:
A Boy And His Dog wrote:Tanida
:clap:

hey BoynhDog, make sure you get kids in the game. It's crucial for a true Fallout experience. You'll know why. Oh I dig your character btw.
Dogmeatlives wrote:If you grab Dogmeat in Junktown you won't miss Ian. He isn't coming back by the way. Grab Cassidy in the bar in Junktown and Ian will be forgotten instantly.
stop spoilers you dumb fuck! :gnasher:

BoynhDog, I'd try keeping Ian in your company. Try reload? Or too late you won't bother? Maybe next playthrough, dunno.
Last edited by PiP on Thu May 17, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Tanida is an awesome name, better than the original for sure B)
A Boy And His Dog
SDF!
SDF!

Thor Kaufman wrote:Tanida is an awesome name, better than the original for sure B)
Enkidu has a lot on is mind...he forgot her real name and just made up one he liked in semi-close approximation to her name. ;)

Dogmeat likes Iguana-on-a-stick, so he decided to stick around. Just don't shoot his ass by accident in battle...whew...glad I saved it before that. Tycho decided to join up as well, as he likes being seen with the cool kids.

Enkidu has backtracked to Vault 13, and gave the Overseer what for, as well as stealing some stimpaks, first aid kits, and water flasks. I figure they won't need them, I'll have the water chip soon enough...yeah...something like that. Vault 15 was a goner...so...I figure I can get the Water Merchants to help out.

Maybe...I bet they will bitch about it and screw me somehow. Oh well, that's why I'm stocking up on grenades, molotov cocktails, and explosives...you know...for those meetings which don't seem to be going my way.

I think the Wasteland is slowly making Enkidu go insane.

Loving Fallout!

Edit: Thanks Pip, glad you like him. I'll try to get kids in the game if they aren't...I seem to be hearing about a hospital in the Hub? Is that where they first show up. If I install the patch for kids it won't mess up my saves will it? Just curious.

Anyway, like your avatar Pip, long live the Duderino!
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

BoynhDog, you might want to install TeamX's Fallout patch and Killap's Fallout 2 patch respectively before playing each game. They really fix a lot of broken things and make life a lot easier. I replayed both games in January using those patches and had no problems. Just use the correct one for your locale.

Fallout 1

Killap
PiP wrote:this is the sweatest thing that any noob has ever said at DAC
He certainly had to run a gauntlets of flames to get to the end of this thread.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

PiP wrote:
johnnygothisgun wrote:he certainly doesnt need a rogue and quite biased extremist fanboy opinion
the way I feel it, DAC is about biased extremist fanboys :duckie:. Yet this guy came over here for the tips.
yeah, we're all pretty big fanboys, but hes a rogue fanboy whose opinions are at odds with ours, and everyone knows we're always right
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

johnnygothisgun wrote:
PiP wrote:
yeah, we're all pretty big fanboys, but hes a rogue fanboy whose opinions are at odds with ours, and everyone knows we're always right
The Collectivity always wins! Pile-on!

Let him have his "rogue" opinion. It makes about as much sense as anything else in here.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
PiP

Post by PiP »

ATTENTION! Anyone knows where kids first appear in the game so BnhD knows whether or not to patch his game? Also will the saves work after patching? I no longer remember this stuff..
johnnygothisgun wrote:but hes a rogue fanboy whose opinions are at odds with ours,
I don't know dude, Fo2 being a decent game, you'll find many people here bitching (and for a good reason) that it's laden with stupid easter eggs, immershun spoiling references, and places that feel.. out of place (San Fran anyone? temple of trials?)
So take it easy here. Guess you two represent different shades of DAC eh?
A Boy And His Dog wrote:Anyway, like your avatar Pip, long live the Duderino!
The Dude abides B)
Aneurysm
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Aneurysm »

There's lots of kids in shady sands, if you save the game in the desert (not in shady sands) and then patch it up, I dont think it will screw it up.
Worth trying !
:dead: In remembrance of Porcu :dead:
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

Shady Sands is where you first encounter kids.
A Boy And His Dog
SDF!
SDF!

If Shady Sands is where you first see them then I definately don't have them in the game. However, seeing as Enkidu just got his handy dandy Plasma Rifle from the Gunrunners, I'm not going to risk it. I love vaporing Deathclaws.

I'm definately playing the game again, though, and I'll patch it up and see how it goes.
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

Well hey now... actually managed to remember my name and log-in after all this time.

Boy and His Dog: glad you're enjoying the game, I think we all wish that we could go back and play Fallout for the first time again. I'm also diggin' your progress reports, please keep them up!

As for this philowar business, its got me glad I came back here tonight. Nothing like a good old fashioned DaC Flame War for a :rofl: .

Now if you'll excuse me gentlemen, this thread has got me hankering for a fresh crack at the old Wasteland, and this seems like as good a time as any.

-Dracos
PiP

Post by PiP »

A Boy And His Dog wrote:If Shady Sands is where you first see them then I definately don't have them in the game. However, seeing as Enkidu just got his handy dandy Plasma Rifle from the Gunrunners, I'm not going to risk it. I love vaporing Deathclaws.

I'm definately playing the game again, though, and I'll patch it up and see how it goes.
you're not risking anything. Just patch the game and if anything goes wrong (it shouldn't) reinstall the game while keeping the save files.
Our Host!