Up and Coming MODs/Campaigns

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
GrimJim
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Up and Coming MODs/Campaigns

Post by GrimJim »

I would just like to let people know that i am working on a short campaign.
Not sure when I will post it because it takes a long time to make maps ect. plus revise stuff, you know what i mean.... so I should be done within 3-4 months, I'll post a date when im almost done. Can't wait till it's done

:2gunfire: :multi:
GrimJim,
NOT to be mistaken with "The Brothers Grimm"
"What's so funny about a Floating TankTurret?"
"Please don't make me hurt you"
"So you don't want to barter ah, that's ok, I'll just kill you then take it off your dead body =)"
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Look forward to seeing it - any idea of what the general plot is going to be? And if you run into any problems, let us know - hopefully someone can give you some pointers.
GrimJim
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

lil help

Post by GrimJim »

Hey, what is everything you need to get your map running so that i can edit it then play it and see if stuff is working or not, whats everything i need? folders, files, etc...?? and do you have to use a worldmap at all? i just wanna use like that one dude was asking grid lead to other missions, ill make sure to keep it all non-pain in the ass running around.... Im kinda new, I know how to use the entity editor and some what the leave editor. i have great ideas so, give me a kick start...... :2gunfire: :multi:
GrimJim,
"So you don't want to barter ah, that's ok, I'll just kill you then take it off your dead body =)"
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Well the most important thing to do if you haven't already is to use Winzip to decompress all of the *.bos files. If you did a full install they should be in the Fallout Tactics directory I think. Decompressing these files will give you full access to the sprites, entities, tiles, and mission maps in the game. These files should be subdirectories of your Fallout Tactics/core/ directory.

Other than that follow the guidelines as mentioned in the Editor Readme to make a specific directory for your mission/campaign.

The best experience to start is to study the core missions of the game with the level editor and the speech files.
GrimJim
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by GrimJim »

I know, I already unziped EVERY bos file so that i could have access to all the goodies. I already made a map, JUST A MAP, with 2 entities, 1 set to HUMAN control and the other just to stand around,for now...
I put them on teams, team 1 player, team 2 bandit,and set player index to HUMAN as Playerindex 1 and the other to playerindex 2....
my mission/campaign folder looks like this

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\GrimJim

In this folder i have other folders like so...
Actors <-- where i save my costum made actors
gui <-- copied from the core
Locale <-- copied from the core
Maps <-- where i save my missions and maps in editing
Speech <--- nothing in here yet..
Tables <-- copied from the core

What else do i need or to do????

I read through the EDITORREADME, didn't help me much..
and another thing how do i set up my -path thingie?
I made a short cut to the TOOLS.exe
like so
"C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\FT Tools.exe -path GrimJim"

But it gives me an error, i know im probable doing it wrong so....
im just following what it said in the editorreadme. and everytime i try to play my map, to see what it looks like, in the costum mission/multiplayer
it crashes, game closes and have to restart.......

help me please!!! I NEED TO EDIT!!!!! NEED TO MAKE CAMPAIGNS!!!

GrimJim,
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

GrimJim posted:
I read through the EDITORREADME, didn't help me much..
and another thing how do i set up my -path thingie?
I made a short cut to the TOOLS.exe
like so
"C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\FT Tools.exe -path GrimJim"
The Editor Readme might not be a good first time read, but I always keep it on the top of the pile when I am looking for certain needed info and explanations.

TTTT, I never had luck with the -path thing. It sucks, MV and OTB have it figured out but my simple caveman psyche can't figure it out either! I made a DOS batch file that works with the command line as you quoted and that seemed to work the same.

The next thing to do before even starting to get down to mapping is to write a detailed plot or flowchart for the whole thing on paper. Get very, very detailed and it will pay off later. Write down lists of all characters in the game, special entities like keys, and all the separate speech dialogues you think will be needed. It's not easy without practice but play the whole game in your head before starting to edit.

Let us know when you get that done...
GrimJim
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

The next thing to do before even starting to get down to map

Post by GrimJim »

OK, as i said its only gonna be a short story campaign, like maybe 4 missions, maybe more if i can get it working right away... i have must stuff on paper already.. and other stuff mainly in my head..... this is more like a TEST mission............. so i know how things work...... afterwoards ill be add new missions and stuff, IF I CAN EVER GET my missions to play....
aie......

:cry:
GrimJim,
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

In that case just stick with one mission instead of a small campaign. There is enough time and work to be spent on one by itself - trust me!
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

GrimJim wrote:"C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\FT Tools.exe -path GrimJim"
That's not quite right, is what the problem is. Copy and paste if you must, but in the quote box below is the exact syntax you need to use to make the -path command work for your directory:
Command Line Syntax wrote:"C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\FT Tools.exe" -path GrimJim
I'm not sure if you meant the quotes to enclose the line as you wrote it, or that this is exactly how you entered it. If it's the latter, you basically just had a quote mark in the wrong place.

I will caution you when setting up your mirror directory: follow the core campaign's structure exactly. Don't get fancy. Don't make a folder for all of your speech files. Do it exactly as it's done in the core campaign. It will save you alot of headaches.

Edit: If you want to play your missions as SP missions for play-testing purposes you will have to keep them in the core/missions folder. (Substituting the name of your custom directory for "core", of course.) You will then be able to play them using the SP mission feature.

Cheers,

OTB

PS JJ86, is the syntax you're using for your -path command like the one above?
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote:I will caution you when setting up your mirror directory: follow the core campaign's structure exactly. Don't get fancy. Don't make a folder for all of your speech files. Do it exactly as it's done in the core campaign. It will save you alot of headaches.
He speaks the truth! Amen, brotha!

BTW, I took the liberty of highlighting the important part :mrgreen:
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
GrimJim
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

"That's not quite right, is what the problem is"

Post by GrimJim »

OML, i cant beleive i forgot the " was on the inside DUH! 8O
THANKS A BUNCH! now to see if i cant get this thing GOIN!
GrimJim,
GrimJim
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Help with speech please!

Post by GrimJim »

How do i crate a speech file, what are all the lines i need, i know its a text file, DUH, this is for a random floating text, and where do i put it so that it show up, and why won't my new actor work in my mission? BTW i learned how to setup teams and waypoints woo hoo, oh well my missions will use pre-existing entities but modified, so when others play it they dont have to mess around with there entities, one thing though, a few weapons have been modified, not much just alittle, so might not make a diffrents to use my weapon entities, game play should still be about the same. at the rate im going i'll have a mission all good to go, and when im done with the speech i need help with triggers, THANKS everyone been a big help!
GrimJim,
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: Help with speech please!

Post by OnTheBounce »

GrimJim wrote:How do i cr[e]ate a speech file, what are all the lines i need...this is for a random floating text, and where do i put it so that it show up...
Open up the speech files from the core campaign and work from there. The speech files are located at core/missions and there will be subfolders for each of them.

Once you've gotten your speech file set up you will have to open your mission up, go to "Level" and assign the speech file. Do this by clicking the "Speech File" tab and then double-clicking on the appropriate speech file. If you don't double-click on the file and instead just single-click and hit the appropriate button it will often give you an error message, "Could not locate file!"

After you've done that you will have to click on "Speech" and start setting up Speech Nodes. Name the node something useful, then go to the six fields to the left and start scrolling down the menus to add the lines you want to add to the node.
GrimJim wrote:...and why won't my new actor work in my mission?
What exactly do you mean by "won't work"?

OTB
GrimJim
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

What exactly do you mean by "won't work"?

Post by GrimJim »

I mean, when i make a new entity, example
entity editor

new-actor

name ....
race.....
other stuff....

then when i save it "SAVE AS" grimjim under actors
then when i open up the level editor place him at/near the spawnplayer
then load up the map he's gone........ not there...... i set ups his ai playeridex every thing..... do i have to put him in some other folder or text file or something too? well its not THAT big of a deal, because as i said, i'm jusr going to use PRE-EXISTING entities, so when others DL it they wont have to do alot of crap for it to work. :)

BTW thank for helping me with the speech stuff, ill see if i cant get my brain started and figure it all out...........
GrimJim,
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yeah save your new entities under a separate folder called "Entities" within your "GrimJim" folder. It will be less hair-pulling later on when you try to remember what new things you added. Always keep new stuff separate. There may be a problem with the race/sprite combination which affects its visibility. Which race did you set your character up as?
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

GrimJim: You said you made the player index. You mean you actaully made a new PI for the actor? You shouldn't have to. By default, player indecies 0 and 1 are already made - 0 is for scenery entities (containers, doors, etc.) and 1 is for any actor that starts the map under human control. I'd recommend you set your actor's PI to 1 and see if that works.

Also don't forget that you need a Spawn entity in the map. I always use SpawnGeneric, and I haven't had any problems (core/entities/misc/SpawnGeneric.ent).
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
GrimJim
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

GrimJim: You said you made the player index

Post by GrimJim »

yeah, i tried all that stuff, hasn't worked for me.. ill look over my stuff again.....

CAN ANYONE pullme out some FO2 weapon sprites?
GrimJim,
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Which FO2 weapons do you need and give me your email.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

If JJ86 can't satisfy you, I'll see what I can do...oh wait...that didn't sound good... :oops:

Seriously, I have a ton of FO/FO2 sprites ranging from the lowly 10mm Pistol to Anna's Locket to the Combat Leather Jacket. I'm also setting up entities for all of these, as close as you can get them to FO w/FoT. (Basically the only difference is in the ammo, which doesn't have the same characteristics, to include price, which can't be less than 1 RP/shot.)

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

GJ: You also might want to make sure you have PI 1 set to a Team. Not sure if this is required, as I always do that when I start on a new map, but you might want to try it.

Hey JJ86/OTB: were there Rocket Launchers and/or Miniguns in the RPGs? What about Machine Guns? Did they look different from the one(s) in FOT? If they/it does/do, could you be so kind as to send it/them to me (the sprites, not the entities - I'll do those m'self)?
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Our Host!