Beth artist thinks Fallout is BORING

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member
Location: DAC (YEA FUCKERS! WHAT'S IT TO YOU? HUH! HUH! , I Gotta go butt sex a nun now..

Post by Goretheglowingone »

its limbs look ... Nintendo ish, like bomberman
or some shit like that.
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Smiley wrote:The gasbot idea is fine, in that you grab anything that could contain a mechanical body for a robot.

I don't agree on it's limbs though..
The ends of the arms look like electronic plugs.

Maybe the artist was looking at some cables/connectors that were just lying around.

Would make sense for charging up a car.

The olde-style gas pump body could have been just a style choice - like when new things are made in old forms for recognition/familiarity/art's sake.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Indeed, it pumps juice into the car,

I stil lsay it looks gayish, but then few bots other than the Mr Handy, brainbot, and eyebot survied tho.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Gayish aside, it does look sort of charming in the
"OMG its the future!!1" sense. the 1950 future that is.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

Call me a fanboy if you want, but anybody who thinks Fallout's combat is anything short of masterfully brilliant should be tied up, beaten, shot, stabbed, electrcuted, hung, burned, mutilated, and shat on.

A bethesda developer who is developing Fallout 3 by a company that claims they love the Fallout series, created Oblivion, and have a developer who thinks Fallout's combat is boring and compares it to Diablo is not a very good sign.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Fallouts combat feels like an excruciatingly slow Diablo.
Diablo feels like an excruciatingly slow Diablo II.

But the truth is the truth
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

On the other hand, Diablo II felt like an excruciatingly repetitive Diablo...
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I really enjoy Fallout's combat. It's a very thoughtful game. You choose your words, allies, and travel destinations all very carefully in the game because your life depends on it. In the same way, Fallout's combat allowed for alot of different tactics to be employed in any given situation.

I don't think there is anything wrong with fast-paced real-time combat, I actually enjoy that more than turn-based combat usually, but that just isn't what belongs in a true Fallout game.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Sometimes, I wish I didn't have to wait for 30 NPC's to make their move.
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

ApTyp wrote:Sometimes, I wish I didn't have to wait for 30 NPC's to make their move.
If you put the combat speed to full, it's not that bad. I think Fallout's combat is the Bestist evar so I am pretty biased.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

If you put the combat speed all the way up, it really is not bad at all. I'm sure that alot of people that played the game and said combat was boring didn't even know there was an option to speed up enemy turns.
Davaris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Davaris »

I think what makes Fallout's combat fun apart from the strategy, is the creature reactions to being hit and of course the gory deaths.

If the Gragster's attention span had been a little longer, he might have noticed all of that gory goodness. :chainsaw:
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

The death animations definitely made any combat slowness totally worth it. When you encounter an enemy that's really bein a bitch to kill and finally you see that death shake as round after round drill through them and those sick wet sounds... that's satisfaction.
zeke235
SDF!
SDF!

Post by zeke235 »

ok first off, bethesda has done great work with elder scrolls but no duh. as for fo3 i have really high hopes and we are forced to trust them with our childhood memories. i loved everything about the fallout games from the bridge of death in fo2, to dogmeat, to being a slaver. and yes even enough to forgive interplay for bos (r.i.p). but fallout would make an excellent fprpg IF they keep the key elements from combat. ever play true crime? remember the precision aiming? (lethal takedown versus non-lethal?) it's already been done years ago and now they can make a far better targeting system that concentrates on organs instead the way that fallout was always meant to. plus they could take a few hints from dark messiah as well i.e. enemy fatigue, environmental traps and so on. fallout 3 can be just as much of a breath of fresh air as metroid prime was to that series as long as they know what they're doing. not to mention the free-roaming capabilities we saw in elder scrolls. as for the humor let's just pray they play through the previous games thoroughly enough to get the idea. at least that's how i feel they should approach it but you know how wishful thinking goes. as for the artist in question if he had played the game at least a quarter of the way then he'd get it the same way most of us do.
Last edited by zeke235 on Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
zeke235
SDF!
SDF!

Post by zeke235 »

TNP wrote:Call me a fanboy if you want, but anybody who thinks Fallout's combat is anything short of masterfully brilliant should be tied up, beaten, shot, stabbed, electrcuted, hung, burned, mutilated, and shat on.

A bethesda developer who is developing Fallout 3 by a company that claims they love the Fallout series, created Oblivion, and have a developer who thinks Fallout's combat is boring and compares it to Diablo is not a very good sign.

ok even without speeding up the turns fallout's combat was barely turn-based or at least that's how i felt about it. sure it's a little slow in the beginning but of course it is. they want you to work toward being badass. once you get an actual gun and start walking into rooms with the intent to blow everyone away combat gets real fun real fast especially when you get to blow out someone's torso with a shotgun at close range or turn them into a neat little pile of ash with a plasma rifle. for its time and any time fallout does turn-based better than anything i've ever seen. and if nothing else it kicks any final fantasy game's ass hard with ap to spare. of course needless to say if you need help with the whole mutilating thing feel free to look me up
Our Host!