StarCraft 2 (almost) announced.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

StarCraft 2 (almost) announced.

Post by Smiley »

http://teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage ... c_id=52433

StarCraft 2 will be revealed for the first time to the world at Blizzard's World Wide Invitational (WWI) on May 19th.

On the 25th, according to the game developers, it has been confirmed that Blizzard Entertainment Korea (aka Blizzard Korea) will present VODs and game content at the WWI that is starting on May 19th. Also, StarCraft 2's main developers will also attend to answer some questions.

It has been confirmed that StarCraft 2 is being developed in 3D, a new race has been added and existing units' characteristics will have many changes. Additional details will only be revealed to certain parts of WWI.

Blizzard has invited over 100 international media and has prepared both Seoul Olympic Gymnastics Stadium and Fencing Stadium for this event -- the biggest area ever for a short-term game event.

StarCraft 2's announcement preparation is proceeding with secrecy, and only the core group at Blizzard Korea knows the specific details and situation. As they have done in the past, Blizzard is not planning to reveal or release any details for the "best surprise announcement".

However, trustworthy information is being leaked from previous Blizzard employees, and through an acquaintance of ex-Blizzard North employees, StarCraft 2's development and its announcement at the WWI has been confirmed.

Last February 28th, Blizzard president, Mike Morhaime, has hinted that "At the WWI in May, there will be a surprise announcement" for the announcement of a sequel, Blizzard Korea has confirmed, on the 25th, an unrevealed sequel's announcement.

Blizzard Korea's Park Young-Mok director said "There is not content available for answer for the sequel. The sequel will be released at the WWI on the 19th. Please confirm it at the site on the 19th" and denied the confirmation on if StarCraft 2 is indeed the sequel that is to be announced on the 19th.

MBC Game's Lee Sang-Ho head said "Frankly, it's half anticipation and half worry. If SC2 is released in a form that is compatible with e-sports broadcast, there will be many new gamers and the entire industry will develop. However if it comes out in a form that is not easy to broadcast, like WarCraft 3, StarCraft fans will focus on the sequel while the original league will suffer a decline", expressing a cautious mindset.

OnGameNet's StarCraft commentator Um Jae-Kyung said "Blizzard has probably already grasped the difference between this nation's gamers and foreign gamers' difference in inclination through WarCraft 3. So I'm hoping for a more balanced structure, a structure with e-sports in mind. However, I believe that the e-sports league will continue to focus on StarCraft and a new league focusing on StarCraft 2 will form, the industry growing bigger as a result. As a gamer, I'm really looking forward to it.

Blizzard's WWI is on its third year and will take place from May 19th to 20th at the Seoul Olympic Gymnastics Stadium and Weight Lifting Stadium (translator's note: I thought it was fencing? o.O). Many e-sports games as well as events such as WarCraft 3 ladder season 5 Asia region preliminaries, for the first time, a World of Warcraft Arena Tournament Off-line Regional Finals will take place.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I didn't do the translation.

2. A new race? Probably the zerg/protoss mix we saw in the end of SC:BW

3. When? I'm guessing they've developed something at the same time as TBC, and that we might see a release wthin 1½ years, with a 20% chance of delay.

But that's just me guessing =)
Testicular Pugilist
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

StarKKKraft D:
Serious Business.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

sounds awesome, looking forward to it B)
This is probably going to be the only really good game in a long while
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

Thor Kaufman wrote:sounds awesome, looking forward to it B)
This is probably going to be the only really good game in a long while
qfe

starcraft is one of those games that (at least for me) never seems to lose its appeal. it is an artfully perfect mix of pacing, balance, and fun. the story is probably not as cool as i remember it when i was in grade school, but that was neato too :fish:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

MY NAME IS INFESTED KERRIGAN AND I WILL DESTROY YOUR MILITARY WITH MY SPINE TENTACLES

ROAR

ROAR

THESE RUMOURS ARE KOREAN AND THUS NOT ACCEPTABLE

THANKS THOUGH

HOPE TO SEE STARCRAFT SOON

ROAR

IM INFESTED KERRIGAN
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

They better make a dota map for it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Warcraft 3 isn't easy to broadcast and Starcraft is? What does it even mean?
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

The problem with Warcraft III was the fact that it sucked donkey balls... :giggle:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Ja, 'twas a fun game, although I only played the single-player game. I hope they choose a different artistic approach than in Warcraft 3. :siege tank:
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

VasikkA wrote:Ja, 'twas a fun game, although I only played the single-player game. I hope they choose a different artistic approach than in Warcraft 3. :siege tank:
Yeah, Starcraft always struck me as a much more serious game. Hopefully this is a Starcraft game Blizzard actually bothers to finish.
HEY WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT???
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Gotta love starcaft. It's always so much fun to burrow shitloads of zergs and wait for the prey to come...MUAHAHAH!
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

On a related note, I wish they'd patch Starcraft to run at resolutions above 640x480. It looks like ass on a monitor greater than 15 inches. Even 1024x768 would be a huge improvement. After some research I heard whisperings of people using 3D Analyze to force higher resolutions. Although it sounds buggier than Fallout 2 at high res.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Starcrafts resolution never seems to bother me even to this day, it's not the type of game that needs to look better. Everything looks exactly how it needs to look, but thats just my opinion.

Does Blizzard Korea have a development team or is it just a publishing branch of Blizzard in North America?
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Starcrafts resolution never seems to bother me even to this day, it's not the type of game that needs to look better. Everything looks exactly how it needs to look, but thats just my opinion.
Aye, just like Fallout.
Serious Business.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Try it on a 21" monitor. Both Starcraft and Fallout you can count the pixels. My solution is just hitting the monitor's zoom out setting 30-40 times.

On a wide screen Starcraft is hideous almost to the point of being unplayable.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

i play SC on a 19' LCD screen and at first it was a bit of a shock but I easily got used to it. Perhaps your just a graphics whore?
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

yeah go play oblivion or something geez
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

I'm playing it on 1280*1024 and it looks just fine :)
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

I must be lucky coz all the old shit looks fine on my widescreen.

Topic related shit:

I could imagine they stole more ideas from Warhammer 40k.

IMO the protoss/zerg hybrid would be too obvious. They'll rock up with... uh... something stupid. See the current C&C game. I liked StarCraft but I don't wanna have sequel. I sort of got used to the fact, that there won't be a sequel at all. It's so disappointing. :(
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Both Fallout and SC looks alright on my 21 inches LCD screen D:
Our Host!