Why Bethesda needs Fallout like Vault 13 needs a waterchip

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Why Bethesda needs Fallout like Vault 13 needs a waterchip

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[ Community -> Editorial ]</strong>

<p>I've written up a new article called Why Bethesda needs Fallout like Vault 13 needs a waterchip. Here's a quote:</p><blockquote><p><em>There&rsquo;s a fundamental key that
any developer or publisher bravely striding into the Fallout universe should
know, and if they don&rsquo;t, they&rsquo;ll learn it by the time their game is released:
Fallout is </em>all<em> about
the fans. The decent games stopped coming almost ten years ago; what&rsquo;s left is
a fanbase that&rsquo;s notorious amongst geek and gaming culture for being rabid,
mutated, angry, discordant, for infighting and for being argumentative and
perverse. In other words, a fanbase that&rsquo;s assumed many of the characteristics
which placed Fallout outside the cosy campfire circle of Tolkien-themed fantasy
worlds, an ugly, rejected duckling that turned into a beautiful two-headed
swan. And the point, for an aspiring developer, is this: the route to any
Fallout game&rsquo;s success is through those fans. </em>
</p></blockquote><p><a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/content.php?id=88" target="_self">Go check it out</a> and see what you think!
</p>
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

You wrote it, I thought it was Rex :wheelchair warez: D:
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Aside from using the word hardcore, it was a great article teabag.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

It's not like Bethesda needed Fallout? They probably have enough imagination to come up with their own new PA game. Seeing how unimaginative their other games are, it really isn't a big deal.

I didn't read the article yet, anyway.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

S4ur0n27 wrote:I didn't read the article yet, anyway.
If you did, you'd understand the implications of the title.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
USMCFritz
SDF!
SDF!

Post by USMCFritz »

i agree its a good article with simply that it states that even though we may be crazy raving lunatic fans for fallout we still have a major decision on wether the game is or is not true fallout. O and i can be very dangerous lol goverment tax payed Marine training right here GO INFANTRY! and i still love fallout :evil_laugh: SEMPER FI! OOH RAH
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Good read, Teatime. I can't for the life of me get excited about Fallout 3. And you appear to be the most optimistic out of the bunch of us old whiners. Bethesda pulling it off is just not logical. Look at what they did to the Elder Scrolls. Or how they forced out Call of Cthulu whatever and that Star Trek game. How about the way they stonewall fans and only talk with various Xbox magazines. Even the way their forums are run, like some totalitarian regime, bent on controlling the opinions of each member.

As far as I'm concerned Bethesda is no different than Interplay back when it had money to spend and franchises to ruin.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

The Wheelchair Warez release is soooooo much better.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

Very well written Teatime
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Reading that article was a journey. Well done. :salute:

Selling a game is easy with a cunning marketing strategy, but getting the players attached to the product is a lot harder; a feat Fallout and a few others achieved. Ultimately a game's success isn't detemined by graphics or other features, but rather the buzz it manages to create. And to create a buzz, you need to take a few risks. In Fallout's case, that risk would be reinstating the old values of roleplaying into the CRPG genre.

Throw the market analyses out the window and make a game worth falling in love to.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Glad you liked it guys. Feel free to <plug> Digg it. </plug> :)

And I do feel that Fallout is a franchise that requires the fans onboard to work. The problem is, so far, companies have only realised this (or in Iplay's case, still haven't realised) after the product is released.

Difference here, possibly, is that FO3 will sell on the back of Bethesda's name alone and in one night they'll have a new fanbase. I don't think that will happen - unless they make out like it's the start of a new series (ie ditch the '3' in the title and so on). But in that case, why bother with Fallout at all, except out of spite?
Last edited by Mr. Teatime on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

I think theyre going to shit themselves when oblivion with guns gets mixed reviews and only the fanbois on their fourm blow them over it.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

There is another forum about this article. ANyway, I loved it. It reminded me again of how great Fallout is. I'm gonna play it again now. You make a few great points that I never even thought about. I do think, however, that Bethesda could do as financially well with "Oblivion with guns" type game as with a true Fallout sequel. What do I know though...
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Nice piece Teets. Too bad the Bethbois are immune to logically, well-organized ideas. You should've voiced acted it. Remember reading is teh hard.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

A reason for optimism would be that under the Fallout name, it must have -some- of the Fallout flavour. Bethesda may have made many mistakes with Oblivion and have some awful habits involving multiplatform releases, but they aren't all that bad a developer, when compared to the rest of the mainstream.

Also; Nomatter what this game turns out to be, we can bet fairly safely it will involve large amounts of violence, sand, and men in armour made of old sofas. This pleases the Jack.

<3 :chick:
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

That is very true T-900. If the game turns out to be oblivion with guns, at least i can rent it and lokk a supermutant right in the eyes before i blow his FREAKIN HEAD OFF!
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Excellent article. Felt it right here brother *beats his chest*

Sooo.. when beth releases Fo3 and t's crap, basicly it's going to be a "meh" to everyone and an outrage to the fans, yes?

Does that mean we have a chance to get Fallout nr. 2 out of beth the way it should be, and an actual spiritual successor?

If Fo3's crap, then we'll definately have to point out every single flaw to them, and make them understand exactly what they're doing wrong.
Testicular Pugilist
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Smiley wrote:Excellent article. Felt it right here brother *beats his chest*

Sooo.. when beth releases Fo3 and t's crap, basicly it's going to be a "meh" to everyone and an outrage to the fans, yes?

Does that mean we have a chance to get Fallout nr. 2 out of beth the way it should be, and an actual spiritual successor?

If Fo3's crap, then we'll definately have to point out every single flaw to them, and make them understand exactly what they're doing wrong.

But then they'll ban you from their fourm

:drunk:
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

You don't need to do it on their forums.

If every single Fallout fan page has a "Fo3; beating a dead horse" title on the front then it's a good start.
Testicular Pugilist
Our Host!