Red!Viewer: Coolbars or not?

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.

Do you want Red!Viewer to use CoolBars

Yes, they are cool!
100%
No, they suck and I don't want to waste HD space nor suffer higher download times
No votes

Total votes: 2

Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Red!Viewer: Coolbars or not?

Post by Red »

First, what's a coolbar?
Well, it's the moveable bars as the ones you see in Word and such applications. Old versions of BOSView used coolbars, however later version removed it.

Second, why coolbars?
It would allow the interface to display only the controls which relate to the image you selected, so that instead of having a bunch of disabled options, you'd just get the bars you need which appear when you load an image.

Third, can't you do something else?
Well, I could hide the panels/frames myself, however it would just leave a big empty usless gap... Might as well leave them disabled. I could also put them in seperate windows/toolwindows/forms, however then you need to arrange the windows all the time which would be damn annoying

Fourth, why don't you just do it, you don't need our concent?
Of course I don't, but I just tried doing it yesterday and the compiler crashed. Clever idea not to save before I compiled (I hate them compilers that don't require you to save!), and lost all my changes. Great. But the real reason is that it will now depend on a 500k OCX (lMSCT332.OCX for the curious) which will need to be included in the installer. Like the other OCX peopel often complain about. I removed the dependency on the DLL because people complained the installer was too big (back then I depended in 2 other OCXs and included Windows Installer in my installer thus bringing the installer to 5.5megs). So well, it's make the installer at least 1.5megs and add a 500k file on your sytem.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

If added coolbars would make the app easier to use, then I'm all for it. Otherwise...
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Red

Post by Red »

Well, I think it will, but it might end up a bit more confusing since some bars will keep appearing and dissapearing.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I have no preference on the coolbars - not really familiar with them. One suggestion I have though is the starting directory is always My Documents. How do I set it up so that it starts in a specific FOT directory?
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:I have no preference on the coolbars - not really familiar with them. One suggestion I have though is the starting directory is always My Documents. How do I set it up so that it starts in a specific FOT directory?
Ditto.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Red

Post by Red »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:How do I set it up so that it starts in a specific FOT directory?
You can already do that, though admitably it's a bit convoluted.

Go in the settings, and check the "Save direcotory" option. Open (or save) a file in that dir you want the app to start in. Open the Quick Open, and close the main app.

If you don't use the Open and Save options (and instead use the quick open), from now on you'll always start in the same dir.

If you guys actually start making tiles and find that you should be able to specify the starting directory (without it being changed every time you use the open/save dialogs), I'll add such a feature.
Our Host!