More discussion on the future of Fallout 3

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:Why the hell has no one ever used Chinese mythos as a basis for an RPG?
Stepping outside of the realm of CRPGs onto the tabletop I have to ask, "Remember AD&D Oriental Adventures?" IIRC there was one boxed set - a hot collector's item these days - and about a half-dozen modules. A great, innovative setting, but I think people will invariably go w/Dwarves and Banshees over Korobokuru and Shirokinukatsukami when given a choice.

Another problem is that people will invariably try to shoehorn Eastern material into Western molds. A Samurai is not a Cavalier, unless you blur your vision really badly. In that case you'll just end up w/something akin to what happened to Cinderella's sister's feet: bloodied stumps for toes and heels...

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Pyro wrote:Why should we donate 100$? They'd just spend on making baldurs gate 3:Throne of diablo or whatever.
Yeah, or maybe 'The Adventures of Completely Pointless Things'
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Actually, there is an RPG type game out there based in asia. It's a hack'n'slasher tpye thing though, called Throne of Darkness where you control 7 samurai.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Yeah, I've played it but they aren't really samurai, some are ronin. But that's for people who care.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

OnTheBounce wrote:
Stepping outside of the realm of CRPGs onto the tabletop I have to ask, "Remember AD&D Oriental Adventures?" IIRC there was one boxed set - a hot collector's item these days - and about a half-dozen modules. A great, innovative setting, but I think people will invariably go w/Dwarves and Banshees over Korobokuru and Shirokinukatsukami when given a choice.
Remember it, and have it. The Oriental Adventures was a refreshing break, and it's likes have been rarely seen since. Too bad, since some of the mythos would be a good change from the stale ad nauseum of where it is now.

I've done several campaigns with a Japanese basis in them, and what's a really interesting change of pace is to have a traditional party put into that setting (or vice versa of an oriental party put into a traditional setting). Of course, at some points foreigners would be killed almost without question, so a bit would have to be changed to be more forgiving, but still with the obvious bias that would be inherent along with shop prices, ease with getting in trouble with the law, etc.

I've gotten really jaded with the stereotypical and unimaginative formulas that developers in general have shit out lately. It's usually the Tolkein-esque and cliché high fantasy. Usage of the Outer Planes in PS:T was great, as would be some other locations in AD&D than the overworked Forgotten Realms. I don't have anything against FR, but it's becoming old hat much like DL was. Actually, it would be instead the same old boring places of Faerûn that are getting old hat, and settings carbon-copied from them.

Or for a breath of fresh air, how about a game set in Chult, or haven't any of these hacks ever heard of it? The world is damn huge, and instead of making their own imaginative story in a setting that's half ripped off from the Time of Troubles or from Bob's work, they could be creating a new tale of their own in Chult, Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim, The Hordelands, Maztica, Thay, or what about Netheril?

No, instead it's name-dropping Waterdeep and Icewind Dale. There's been books done to death in those places, and a game located there becomes boring as hell.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Rosh wrote:Remember [Oriental Adventures], and have it.
I don't have mine any more. I dumped it on eBay for $52.00. Not bad considering it had box in rather poor condition and I only paid $15.00 for it when it came out. :mrgreen:
Rosh wrote:I've done several campaigns with a Japanese basis in them, and what's a really interesting change of pace is to have a traditional party put into that setting...
I did two campaigns in Kara-Tur. One w/characters that were natives of the area and the other w/a party of explorers that got...lost. The latter was the better of the two, like you said. The former usually got bogged down w/people wanting to name their characters "Sum Dum Gai" or something along those lines while I put on a brown shirt and goose stepped around the room trying to keep everyone serious. :lol:
Rosh wrote:Of course, at some points foreigners would be killed almost without question, so a bit would have to be changed to be more forgiving, but still with the obvious bias that would be inherent along with shop prices, ease with getting in trouble with the law, etc.
:lol: Oh yes! There are so many ways for a gaijin to get in trouble in Kara-Tur! I borrowed - okay: stole - a page or three from Clavell's Shogun and had a local daimyo act as the party's patron. Basically he wanted them to be visible and for people to know that they belonged to him. If they got in too far over their heads I'd use that to save the party's hide.
Rosh wrote:Or for a breath of fresh air, how about a game set in Chult, or haven't any of these hacks ever heard of it? The world is damn huge, and instead of making their own imaginative story in a setting that's half ripped off from the Time of Troubles or from Bob's work, they could be creating a new tale of their own in Chult, Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim, The Hordelands, Maztica, Thay, or what about Netheril?
Yeah, I'd have to agree there. Funny thing is that I got away from tabletop AD&D back in the early '90s because T$R was putting out so many boxed sets. ("What?! Another $35.00 boxed set?!") But I really have to say that Faerun is probably the best-developed game world out there. It's a pity that people are so damned myopic about the whole affair.

OTB
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

OnTheBounce wrote:Stepping outside of the realm of CRPGs onto the tabletop I have to ask, "Remember AD&D Oriental Adventures?" IIRC there was one boxed set - a hot collector's item these days - and about a half-dozen modules. A great, innovative setting, but I think people will invariably go w/Dwarves and Banshees over Korobokuru and Shirokinukatsukami when given a choice.
It was just a book, I have it in a box in the attic. :)

As far as I'm concerned, it was too "Japanese" really. I just want Chinese with not bastardization from other "cultures".
------------------
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:It was just a book, I have it in a box in the attic. :)
Shit, that's right! I'd forgotten about the OA hardcover! There was a boxed set expansion for the FR, though. I know: I stepped on mine once. :)

They really didn't do much w/Kara-Tur once 2nd edition came out, IIRC. There was an expansion to the Monstrous Compendium (remember the loose-leaf format?) and that's about it. AFAIK they didn't ever update Kara-Tur when 2nd Ed. came out, although from what I remember of the rules it was basically "proto-2nd Ed." w/the proficiency slots, etc.
Saint-Proverbius wrote:As far as I'm concerned, it was too "Japanese" really. I just want Chinese with not bastardization from other "cultures".
Yes, you're right that it was very, very "Japano-centric", sort of the way AD&D was very much centered in the high chivalry of western Europe. :lol: Time to found your own dev house, Prov.

Edit: But like I was originally pointing out, the setting really went no where and I think it was simply a lack of familiarity w/what people expect from "fantasy" settings. Most of the people that I knew that were interested in it were more interested in turning it into some sort of AD&D-meets-Japanese-monster-movie affair.

OTB
Follower
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Follower »

Sigh... BIS in ass, FO 3 is fucked, nobody have money. This song continues for too long. It looks like they have real problems... To tell the truth I don't know why they continue to tell us that they will release FO 3 someday. It begins to sound like bullshit. May be they should tell us - "Guys, you are fucked. We are in ass. So you should go buy some icewind dale stuff and leave us alone". Of course, MAY be they will release FO 3 in some distant future, when only several old day fans will remain to say - "Oh yeah, I remember 98th, when FO 2 was released. Old good days." With such attitude they will lose all interested ones... to tell the truth I am waiting for FO 3 with fear. What will they make with it? It looks like it willn't be mature rating. It will lose a lot of it's view... Well, I don't want to judge it. Let's see... :?

This report is different from all other ones only by it's ending. It looks like somebody really pissed him off. Yeah, fans got him. To tell the truth their situation really sucks. They are like rats on sinking vessel trying to save the dead thing. May be they will be able save it for some time more - let's see :?
World of FO is coming... too fast for my liking
Sarge
Perpetual SDF

Post by Sarge »

Like I said earlier, I'm not holding my breath waiting for FO3. I think it may be made better and faster by a development house with a fresh take on things. Much like Static has much of the feel of Fallout with none of the baggage. Now, think about what would happen if we cloned the Static dev. team and gave them the rights to make FO3 (OK, I know that's not really possible, but think of this as an exercise in imagination).
Imagine the possibilities. :lol: :)
I like infinity engines games!! I drool on myself constantly!!
Our Host!