Campaign editor: Random encouter freguensies.

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
RawonaM
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Campaign editor: Random encouter freguensies.

Post by RawonaM »

I was trying to put random encounters on my map in campaign editor and noticed that that the freguensy of the encounter is 100% everywhere i place it, and i cant lower it by clicking the right mouse button like when you open the BOS.cam file and change the freguensies.
So is it hard-coded or does it depend on the map image or some txt-file?
Long Live Rock n' Roll
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Right or left clicking does nothing? Maybe you will need to scale down the grid. I am guessing here - haven't played with it too much but it should be changed within the campaign editor.
RawonaM
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by RawonaM »

Well when i press LMB it goes straight to 100 and pressing RMB it goes to zero. So I cant get any other freguensies than 100 and 0. So it comes or it doesnt come. And thats not so random.
Long Live Rock n' Roll
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Unless you have another random encounter, the chance will be either 0 or 100. There are other variables that are hardcoded which tell how often you hit it. The 0 or 100 refer to something else - not the chance of hitting it, but the chance that you will get that encounter instead of another. I am not sure if that is clear.
RawonaM
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by RawonaM »

True, but what I want is to have different percent values, like that in a one square area there is possibility of encountering raiders, radscorpions and wolfs. And the most Usual encounter in that square would be raiders. So I would put there a 80% chance on raiders and 40% on both radscorpions and wolfs. But since I can only put there 100% or 0%, I cant do so. And thats bugging me! :mad:
Long Live Rock n' Roll
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

RawonaM wrote:...[T]he most Usual encounter in that square would be raiders. So I would put there a 80% chance on raiders and 40% on both radscorpions and wolfs. But since I can only put there 100% or 0%, I cant do so. And thats bugging me! :mad:
If you can't get it to work any other way try this:

Have multiple encounters w/slightly different names that are actually identical. For instance, let's say you want the following encounters with the following frequencies:
  • Raiders: 60%
  • Radscorpions: 20%
  • Wolves: 20%
You could simply have three entries in your campaign.txt file for the Raiders (e.g. easyRaiders01, easyRaiders02, and easyRaiders03), one for the Radscorpions, and one for the Wolves. If each has an equal probability, you will effectively have 60%/20%/20% for the respective encounters.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I have only messed around with the Randm Encounters a very little bit. One other thing you might try is to change the three values in the fields at the top of the screen. I noticed that when I was placing Special Random Encounters one of those values controlled how many squares were selected.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
RawonaM
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by RawonaM »

Ah I figured it out thanks to OTB. I started trying with different named encounters and the solution was really simple. Since in one square you cannot have more than 100% of freguensies, no more none less. So when there is only possibility of one encounter in one square it cannot be any other than 100% or 0%. but when it has the 3 encounters(raiders,radscorpions and the wolves) the sum of their freguensies must be exactly 100%!
Really simple. Uh... why didnt I think it that way earlier... :oops:
Long Live Rock n' Roll
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Sometimes we all need a good kick in the ass to get us going in the right direction. :P
Red

Post by Red »

Should of posted that earlyer as i knew that... Execpt it's been dso long I've fiddle with it I wasn't sure anymore... :P
Our Host!