Pete Hines on Spong

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
aries100
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by aries100 »

The problem I'm having with Pete Hines' interview at the SPONGE site is similar to the ones you have.

I'm very concerned that his statements mean that Fallout 3 will mean that FO3 just will be a Fallout game in name ONLY!

And by that I mean that in order to make a great Fallout game you need to be able to do all the the tings mad max rw mentioned the post at 1.34 am
saturday febr. 17th 2007.

You also need to understand the climate in which these things like the duck and cover cartoons were produced as well as the reason behind making a film like Dr. Strangelove.

It all fits in with the Cold War, and the fear of an atomic war, which again fits in with the common paranoia of both the East and West at the time.(mainly in the 1950's but also a bit into the 1960's).

This is why Fallout become as vastly a popular game as it did. Mainly beacuse it featured some of the duck and cover videos (or film clips??) that told people want to to --- just in case of an atomic bomb.

And the advice given is these short clips (or videos)
are not that great. The contrast between the advice given in the videos and the harsh realities really underpins the tone and the setting in Fallout 1+2.

It also helps to establish the sometimes grim humour in the Fallout series as this helps the gamers (and maybe the characters in the game as well) to understand that the advice given in these videos are not that great. Especially not --- if your everyday life consists of striving for succes in a bleak, pale world, ---- in the aftermath of an atomic bomb.

My concern is that Pete, Todd and others at Bethsoft simply is too young to get this. It is not that young people can't get this, but it really means something when you're developing the game, Fallout 3, to have been growing up in the shadow of the fear of the atomic bomb (like I did).

Maybe Bethsoft will make good & decent game.
Maybe they will not make one.

As for the Britney Spears comparision, you might be surprised. One of the popdivas in my country
released a jazz album some time ago. I once or twice have heard some of these jazzy songs on the radio, and she actually is an outstanding jazz performer, while she is, at best, just a mediocre, popdiva.
please support http://www.gamerdad.com - the
voice of reason when it comes to gaming and children

support democracry - please visit
http://www.whydemocracy.net/home
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

All pop diva's suck by defualt. They're flashy and highly publicized, but not that good.

Like Bethesda.
Broken Xeno
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Broken Xeno »

Oblivian = Brittany Spears?

Once an attractive looking, if somewhat dodgy looking rising star, now something to be looked upon with a slight chuckle and a bad aftertaste?
-Broken, Not Busted-
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

No.

Bethesda = Pop diva, produces an over rated over publicized product.
Broken Xeno
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Broken Xeno »

Same difference :P
-Broken, Not Busted-
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Oblivion = crappy product

The analogy works better my way, as their crappy games are the analgy

Bethesda: crappy games
Diva: Crappy songs
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

you're just jealous because Bethesda sells more games than you, which also means that console games are superior lifestyle :giggle:
TelemachusSneezed wrote:Fallout used "black" humor... tone, not skin color.
filthy racist :chainsaw:
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

IIRC, didnt the origonal FO website on Iply show a black PC ?

And since DAC has a mirror of the old site .........

FO is teh racist!

lol.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

aries100 wrote: As for the Britney Spears comparision, you might be surprised. One of the popdivas in my country
released a jazz album some time ago. I once or twice have heard some of these jazzy songs on the radio, and she actually is an outstanding jazz performer, while she is, at best, just a mediocre, popdiva.
Dude, you're missing the point.

You can call a dog a bird, but it won't fly.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

I once had a bird called fluffy.

He said woof woof woof.

He wanted to fly.

So I released him from the roof.

He flew, for 5 stories.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

We once had a child molestor, he went onto the prison's roof for attn. Cameras came and filmed him. Then he went down and there was much rejoice.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

He was from NMA wasnt he.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

Fallout rarely made me laugh out loud (though it happened)... The humour is a dark twist, constant throughout the experience, that of being granted the ability to shoot a dangerous foe in the crotch at will, just because you want to, that of fighting dangerous enemies who've come straight out of a camp 1950s scifi paperback...

Fallout's humour was part of it's setting, rather than in specific spikes during the experience.

He worded it badly, but I think he's right... Fallout's humour is in staring at a rusty wrist-mounted computer and seeing a blood spattered cartoon grinning winningly at you, so emotive and bright and confident in his design in the face of a world of rust, rot, and dust.

There's something sublty and realistically ridiculous about everything in Fallout... About giant rats, about Harold's placid acceptance of the fact his body is disintegrating, about Loxley's forced accent, the bad attitudes of skinny old wretches in bars... Subtle humour, that is part of the foundation of Fallout's own setting and atmosphere. It doesn't try to amuse, but it knows it does, and occasionally capitalises upon the fact.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Yeah, but Pete and Bethesda's PR machine has been proven to be full of shit.

So does he really get it, or is he just spouting shit for PR ?

I think hes just spouting shit myself.
aries100
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by aries100 »

The point, however is also that the female lead vocal solist sold more albums as popdiva than she did as jazz singer...

Much in the same way Oblivion...well you get the idea...
please support http://www.gamerdad.com - the
voice of reason when it comes to gaming and children

support democracry - please visit
http://www.whydemocracy.net/home
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

But the product is still shit either way.
Broken Xeno
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Broken Xeno »

It's not even that Oblivion is shit, in general. Compared to a lot of other games out there, it's actually not that bad at all.

It's that what was promised that would be in Oblivion isn't there at all. Radiant AI that was actually quite intuitive, yeah... No. The Radiant AI turned out to be a steaming pile of crap. The way the world reactes to your presense is rather pathetic too. You may as well not exist.

It's the things promised and not delivered that make the game shit. If they'd never promised any of those things to begin with, and delivered Oblivion as they did, well... It might just be exactly how it is, with the typical fan. Or maybe the game would have tanked, despite it's flashy graphics.
-Broken, Not Busted-
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

What purpose does an interview serve when it gives no information whatsoever. This is about the five hundredth interview where basically all that they say is LOL YEAH FALLOUT 3 EXISTS and they drag that out across fifty questions.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Issa an old press trick. Keep asking the same question, hope the interviewee slips up.

Happens on every level of the press, even the President gets asked "What about Iraq" and "What about Osama Bin Laden", you just rarely hear of it because he always gives the same answer ("dedication", "perseverance", "freedom").

They're hoping Pete slips up. He, well...doesn't
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

He's actualy pretty good at his job.

The problem for him, is he's not allowed to say shit.

Of course, he'd have a whole new problem if he COULD say shit.
Our Host!