Bombs

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Bombs

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I was playing around with bombs and traps to try and get a trigger-controlled trap to start ticking and I found a way to make a smaller radiation type bomb. It will have to be in one particular unmoveable spot. Just set your bomb up - preferably a remote trap. These can be more easily set off by a trigger action. Make a new player type called radition in which you add a radiation entity. Modify the entity in the entity editor to give strong radiation and whatever blast radius you'd like. Place it far off the map so nothing gets irradiated until it is time.

Make a waypoint next to the explosive so that you can "Move Unit" the radiation there when the explosive goes off. Modify the entity of the remote trap to make it non-lethal if you like. The radiation will take care of damage if you are nearby.

I am not sure if the radiation entity can be modified to give poison damage but it may be worth looking into.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Good idea, JJ86. Have you tried using Object Script State (or even Set Stationary/Deactivate) with the radiation entity instead of moving it? I would think that would be easier, as you wouldn't have to worry about accidentally turnin' stuff green :D
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:Have you tried using Object Script State (or even Set Stationary/Deactivate) with the radiation entity instead of moving it?
I tried that a while back and the Radiation entity does not have an Object Script state. (Basically I was looking for a better way to simulate a nuke having gone off than the way they did it in the core campaign.) I have not tried activate/deactivate, though.

One this that does let you use Object Script States - in fact, it's requried - is the Death Trap type of entity. IIRC these can only be set to damage the player, not inflict Radiation, though.

Here's a nugget for you: if you want to simulate the low-level force fields like those found in certain FO RPG maps, you can set up a Death Trap entity that uses a door sprite. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to make the sprite visible, but I'm still working on that. You want to set the damage interval to 0.5. That will zap a character trying to get through the "door" every time. Don't set it to 0.25, though, otherwise the character can't get through the "door" since they stop every time they get hit.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Our Host!