"Don't Buy The Hype"

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

"Don't Buy The Hype"

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Community -> Editorial ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Bethesda Softworks">Company: Bethesda Softworks</a>

<p><strong>Bradylama</strong> has written a fabulous article which he has
called <a target="_self" href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewto ... 70">"Don't Buy The Hype."</a> It is a well written and well researched
piece detailing, among other things, the rise and fall of the Elder
Scrolls franchise and Bethesda's role in the <em>Fallout</em> community. It's a lengthy read, but well worth it, no matter your opinion on the matter.</p><p>Here are some clips:</p><blockquote><p><em><span class="postbody">
What does this mean for the future of NMA and DAC? If the evidence from
the blacklisting of RPGCodex and STG are anything to go by, there's a
significant possibility that as the hype machine for Fallout 3 kicks
into gear, Bethesda will attempt to use DAC and NMA in order to serve
as marketing tools, as was the case with STG and STGU. Eventually, when
Bethsoft finds that NMA and DAC won't tow the party line, they'll be
blacklisted, and Bethesda may possibly even attempt to garner DAC's
complacency with meaningless benefits and exclusive info.

The previous statement serves as a warning. If Bethesda does
attempt to control NMA and DAC they are sure to be severely
dissapointed.</span></em></p><p><em>...</em></p><p><em><span class="postbody">
If I were a betting man, I'd say that the Fallout communities should brace for impact.</span></em></p></blockquote><p>Check it out <a target="_self" href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewto ... 4770">here at NMA</a>, or in .<a target="_self" href="http://staff.gamingforce.com/brady/don% ... e.txt">txt form here</a>. </p><p>Thanks to <strong>Kharn</strong> and <strong>Briosafreak</strong> for the heads up!.</p><p> </p><p>UPDATE: You can now <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16664" target="_self">view the essay in DAC's Content Database</a>. </p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</a></p>
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Someone needs to post this at the something awful boards and other places. It should be mandatory reading.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I'm going to enter it into the DAC Content Database later. It's going to take a while, since a simple copy and paste won't work (tables are messed up in the original).
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Lysandus
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Lysandus »

Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

If Bethesda does attempt to control NMA and DAC they are sure to be severely dissapointed.
I suggest letting them control and subvert, then we infiltrate and when they lest expect it BAM goatse and tubgirl shit all over the place.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Very good article. Developer presence does seem to be dictated by some higher authority, if you look at how it's worked with DaC, NMA and RPGCodex together. I think that's probably true with most large developers, but...

Well, we'll see. But, very well written article - worth a read, like KoC said, whatever your viewpoint.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

I like the stuff about Bethesda trying to control DAC with exclusives and stuff. Hell, even we can't control DAC. :revolution:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Yeah, that point didn't make much sense to me either. DaC is more easily manipulated so they'd concentrate on us... ?

Not entirely convinced by that line of argument, but then again, it is an article coming from NMA, so you'd expect some condesention :P
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Not entirely convinced by that line of argument, but then again, it is an article coming from NMA, so you'd expect some condesention :P
Actually, Bradylama is more of a Codex guy now :dance:

The contention is not that DaC is more easy to manipulate, the contention is that BethSoft has tried this trick with the Star Trek fans, and is likely to try it again. If they try it again, DaC is the likely target. That doesn't mean they'll succeed, it means they perceive you as the softer target.

Unfair? Well, compare the tone of the NMA frontpage to that of DaC. Bethesda's perception didn't just fall out of the sky.
Last edited by Brother None on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

very gut piece of information that, helped clear some things up
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

The likely target would be the new super secret site if it ever comes to fruition. That was kind of the idea of the whole thing.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Mad Max RW wrote:That was kind of the idea of the whole thing.
Ok, I'll rack that up as reason #9 I've heard for the project.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Kharn...

Are you having a bad day? You seem to be on edge. :hug:

The article is vary good, and informative. I actually learned something today. Just needs more diggs, lots more.
Lysandus wrote:Image
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Ohohohohohohohoho. It's a cold day in hell when teh manz and his korporations can control DAC. :Mel_Gibson_Screaming_Freedom:
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Fucking hell, control DAC? I'd rather try taming the very hells themselves.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Sehr gut.
Undone1
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Undone1 »

“Pull the string and it will follow wherever you wish to lead it. Now push the string, and it goes nowhere at all.� -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Influencing others is more often successful if one does not seem pushy or overly confident that their way is the only right way to perceive something.

While this is a well written article, it seems to be arrogant and won't have much affect in changing the minds of those you wish to influence.

Tone it down and make is sound less like propaganda and it will be more successful.

And may I ask a question? Is the objective to make Fallout 3 a failure or is it to convince Bethesda that they should listen to you and make the game as you dictate? That article will only serve to have them turn their backs on you and alienate any fanboys they have. A more diplomatic approach would go far to winning over more numbers to your side.
Your current safe boundries were once unknown frontiers.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

The goal is to drive Bethesda into ruins for deciding to make Fallout 3 rather than making an Oblivion sequel. This forum is an underhanded way for TES fans to get their revenge. No one here really cares about Fallout 3; probably 95% of the posters haven't even played Brotherhood of Steel, by far the best example of a Fallout game.
Death to quotes.
Undone1
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Undone1 »

TelemachusSneezed wrote:The goal is to drive Bethesda into ruins for deciding to make Fallout 3 rather than making an Oblivion sequel. This forum is an underhanded way for TES fans to get their revenge. No one here really cares about Fallout 3; probably 95% of the posters haven't even played Brotherhood of Steel, by far the best example of a Fallout game.
Are you saying that they don't ever want a newer version of Fallout? That would be self defeating.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Are you saying that they don't ever want a newer version of Fallout? That would be self defeating.
Its not really that they dont want it, but back than when they where 13-15 years old gaming was everything to them and thats when fallout was released and they remember the great times they had.

Everything new feels like shit moslty cause they gotten older and dont really like gaming anymore, once in a while they start replaying fallout 2 and quit after couple of hours but it gives them sentimental value, than they go to these forums and rant at all the new games.

They have a hard time realising this cause they still enjoy gaming when they play Civ3 and Civ4 and that gives them illusion that they are still gamers when its actually a board game turned in to pc format and even people that hate all pc games can enjoy it.

This leads to some kind of anger focused towards 13-15 years olds today that enjoy Oblivion.
Our Host!