The Escapist talks about Bethesda and Fallout

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Urizen wrote:what are you posting on dac for? this is where you need to go: "editor@escapistmag.com" and "escapistmagazine.com/contact/subject/mailbag"
Wait, is this directed at me? If so, do you know what "satire" means?

P.S.

Thumbs up for 4too.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

so it will be a mindless shooter, but at least it will have a dope atmosphere?

joyous news, sounds like we got the better half of the deal. if todd is sincere, it will be better than fallout 2
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I think this is the most promising thing we've heard in a long, long time:
.. you have to define the experience the first one had and stay true to it," he said. "I think the first Fallout's tone is brilliant
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Lysandus
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Lysandus »

.. you have to define the experience the first one had and stay true to it," he said. "I think the first Fallout's tone is brilliant
They're just trying to throw long time fans a bone to keep them from strapping things to themselves and running through Bethsoft's studios.

Similar things were done with Oblivion's PR: "Yes, Oblivion -- like Morrowind, Daggerfall, and Arena before it -- strikes a balance between stats-based gameplay and player control."--MSFD

Same old bullshit*. :anger:

*'Bullshit' is a registered trademark of Todd Howard and Bethesda Softworks. All rights reserved.
talesfromthecrypt
SDF!
SDF!

Post by talesfromthecrypt »

What he said. I dont grasp how anyone can still be fooled by that shit.

They keep saying and saying things along the lines of"we want to stay true to the setting and atmosphere of the first Fallout",
BUT

there's not a single good explanation I've read from Beth so far, what actually defines the Fallout setting.
"Dark humorz with drugs and prostitutes lol" is not even a remotly accurat description, and shows the people who talk like this have no clue about the fallout setting.

The stuff he says in this new escapist article is only little better.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

It's like trying to recreae the 'feeling' of Monty Python movies or the Reichskristallnachts. Impossible.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Dreadnought wrote:It's like trying to recreae the 'feeling' of Monty Python movies or the Reichskristallnachts. Impossible.
Atleast not when a company is trying to appeal to every last nook and cranny of gamers to acheive the most money.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

This news article has been classed as p PRCON LEVEL 3.

They said something, yet still said noothing.

Last edited by PsychoSniper on Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

PR Pete does what he does best. Move along.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

King of Creation wrote:I think this is the most promising thing we've heard in a long, long time:
I'm getting a bit sick of all these vaguely promising words. They're the right things to say but they're also completely unspecific, and it could be that first person, real time etc fits into the 'tone' of Fallout.

Though i do try and maintain an open mind, I feel it's high time for less vagueness and some cold, hard facts. Then we can decide for ourselves how much it keeps with the tone.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Ladies, Gents, genderbenders, Teh teabag has spoken.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Mr. Teatime wrote:I'm getting a bit sick of all these vaguely promising words. They're the right things to say but they're also completely unspecific, and it could be that first person, real time etc fits into the 'tone' of Fallout.

Though i do try and maintain an open mind, I feel it's high time for less vagueness and some cold, hard facts. Then we can decide for ourselves how much it keeps with the tone.

This month's payoff check bounced, Teas?
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Meh, both of y'all treat Bethesda with kids gloves.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

wouldn't it be nice if the escapist experienced the worst shitstorm ever as a result of that article? editor@escapistmag.com guys!
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

"Nigh-biblical" in Ben Hur-like typeface and a girl who could have been working at the Cat's Paw but with a BoS tattoo? What kind of magazine is this?
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Urizen wrote:wouldn't it be nice if the escapist experienced the worst shitstorm ever as a result of that article? editor@escapistmag.com guys!
Well, how about someone compiles a letter of complaint and we send it all collectively to them... or maybe a classic Goatse-attack would fit the circumstances better? What say you, people?
TinyTeeth wrote:ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

"Nigh-biblical" in Ben Hur-like typeface and a girl who could have been working at the Cat's Paw but with a BoS tattoo? What kind of magazine is this?
You really are... new.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Kharn wrote:
Mr. Teatime wrote:I'm getting a bit sick of all these vaguely promising words. They're the right things to say but they're also completely unspecific, and it could be that first person, real time etc fits into the 'tone' of Fallout.

This month's payoff check bounced, Teas?
I calls 'em as I sees 'em.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Don't worry, trust them. Bethesda always follow through on their promises:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15427&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

Alexander wrote:
Urizen wrote:wouldn't it be nice if the escapist experienced the worst shitstorm ever as a result of that article? editor@escapistmag.com guys!
Well, how about someone compiles a letter of complaint and we send it all collectively to them...
i can do that tomorrow, after work.
aries100
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by aries100 »

The Escapist is doing an interview with Todd Howard.

Todd Howard says a few things about Oblivion and such. He probably can't say too many negative things about Oblivion, or he maybe will be told to - shall we say --- pack his things...

Anyway, from reading the interview, it became clear, at least to me, that Todd Howard also wasn't that satisfied with Oblivion. It also became pretty clear to me that Todd doesn't want to make the same game over and over and over again. (Then he and Bethsoft would be EA, churning out soccer games each year, which basically is just the same pile of crap...).

Todd wants, and I partly agree with him, to preserve the feeling from the older games, and then find a way to transport this into the
modern day world of gaming.

As for the quote regarding Oblivion from MFSD, I would say that for me, after having played Oblivion, this is somewhat true. Players can do anything they want as well as using the stats to get better in areas where they need to strengthen their stats and abilities.

As for the screenshots and THE RIGHT DIRECTION I see this as the author's mildly satirical comment on the x-box, the compas and the xbox controller - and the 'right' direction that Bethsoft is heading towards.

In an interview with a magazine, do you think that Todd Howard really is going to say '----shit----' about his employees or the games on which the Bethsoft team are working.

Todd Howard's statements is his responsibilty, the Escapist Magazine just purports (brings) his views. And this is the duty of any good reporter...
Our Host!