Give Item to NPC

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Give Item to NPC

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Try as I might I can't get this trigger action to work. Is it broken? I looked at mission 4 with Philip the Librarian and he doesn't automatically take the glasses, you must give them to him. It isn't even used in the mission where you give the power armour to the scribe. What gives?

I want to use it in at least 4 transactions within Quartz without having to manually give the items to the NPC.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Hmmm... I just realized I've never tried using that trigger, so I can't help ya.

However, my advice would be to double-check everything. Make sure the item and NPC are Tagged correctly.

Sorry I can't be more useful :(
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
endocore
Regular
Regular

Post by endocore »

Are you trying to trade items amongst NPCs or are you trying to take an item away from a player and give it to an NPC?

I've used the "Give Item to NPC" trigger in the past and it's always worked fine for me. Assuming you're trying to give an item from a PC to an NPC, I just made a small test to be sure and it worked perfectly. I gave the item "papers.ent" in core\entities\items\papers a tag name of "give" in the entity editor and saved it in a different spot under the name of "giveitem.ent". I then put three entities on a small test map which contained a zone called "spot." Two of the entities were under the player's control (index 1), the first tag-named "mover" and the second had the "giveitem.ent" papers placed in his inventory from within the Level Editor. The third entity was on a separate (computer-controlled) player index and tag-named "Taker." I then made the following simple trigger:

CONDITION:

Unit Mover has more than 0 alive at Spot

ACTION:

Give item tagged give to Taker

As soon as the "Mover" fellow walked into the "Spot" zone, the papers item was removed from the second PC's inventory and placed into the NPC's ("Taker") inventory.

If you still can't get this trigger to work, please post a little more detailed description of exactly what you're trying to do and I'll think of another way to approach the problem.

Endocore
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yeah I want to transfer items between a PC and an NPC without going through the barter screen. I thought I had it set up the same way but I'll have to look it over. For some reason a lot of things that were working are no longer working without me making any changes. Like the PC's character descriptions have stopped showing up in the game. I'll post screenshots and descriptions of how I have it set up to see if that will help. It is getting frustrating.

Maybe I'll try reinstalling the game and the patches.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:For some reason a lot of things that were working are no longer working without me making any changes. Like the PC's character descriptions have stopped showing up in the game.
Yeah, that happened to me when I was working on DD Ch5. I just copy/pasted the item and character name_ and desc_ entires from the speech file to the generic .txt's (items.txt and characters.txt, in case you forgot :wink:).

I think it happened right after I cut/pasted the entries from one area of the speech file to another. Wierd.
JJ86 wrote:Maybe I'll try reinstalling the game and the patches.
Yea, I've had to do that as well... wasn't fun.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I think I figured it out. Apparently more than one of the same tagged item floating around the map will confuse the game engine. I had a few extra copies of the same tagged key sitting around for testing purposes and it made the "Give Item" triggers do nothing. Unfortunately this screws with an idea that I was trying to do with multiple tagged items. Ah well, it will require a small script change.

So I won't reinstall the game just yet :wink:
Our Host!