Rumor Time: Fear the story?

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

I don't think anyone honestly expected anything more than Oblivion with guns. Did they? Did anyone here actually think they were going to do anything more than reskin Oblivion, add a few cuss words and repackage it? If so LOL@U, n00b.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

my dreams are crushed :sadblinky:
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I won't ridicule even the most inane rumor. We've seen some crazy shit happen over the years to this license. Nobody should be expected to automatically believe what's heard, but a little stretch isn't hard.

On day one it was pretty obvious Bethesda would stick with 1st/3rd person and RT.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

frissy wrote:Weaken the position...oh please.
Nice going ignore the rest, including the value given by you guys to said rumours.

What VDweller said. I won't agree with his condemning the Fallout community over it, but it's obviously nobody here or on NMA is going to care if we repost unsubstantiated rumours. It's not what people come to NMA for, it won't whip up people into a frenzy, it won't affect Bethesda either way.
Mad Max wrote:On day one it was pretty obvious Bethesda would stick with 1st/3rd person and RT.
Yip, that was obvious from roughly 5 seconds after Bethesda purchased it onwards. VDweller thinks we should be up in arms about it. He probably has a point, we should be. But rumours confirming what everyone knows might have a few question marks attached to them.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

BethSoft has shown that nothing will affect them either way. They were ready, willing and able to fuck over the Sea Dogs fan base when present the opportunity. They did the same to their own fans with their ridiculous microtransactions. And they'll do the same thing for Fallout fans. They've got all the critics they need in their pockets and an under-served market that on the whole isn't going to give them too much grief about anything. Unfortunate for those of us with long memories and low tolerance.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

frissy wrote:St. Toxic is on the agenda that there is no need for inside contacts for obvious information...
I don't think there's a need for "I totally know from this guy, let's call him Mr. X, that Fallout 3 won't be iso or tb." because:

A: No shit, you PI mastermind you. Totally went over my head on that one.

2) It's assumed information; you're not adding to it, you're confirming it, and you just can't confirm shit covertly. "The CIA shot JFK says Unknown Source" won't make the front page and will be ridiculed.

If there's a rumour they're turning it into a racing game, fine. "Who would have thunk it, Oh gosh no" and so forth may ensue, and you have a fine newsbit. But this (EDIT: As in OB. w Guns ) needs a name, or a thumbprint, as it doesn't go against any set expectations, instead trying to set it in concrete.
VD wrote:Once again, I told you that the game is neither turn-based nor isometric 6 months ago. What happened? Nothing.
There were a few people ahead of you on that one -- pretty much anyone with half a brain. Were you expecting a big kaboom of outrage? A cry of despair? Because "Oh, now VD said it too. Fantabilous." is as good as it gets when a vague insinuation is presented, confirming a general suspicion. "Pete Hynes says 'It's fp, action oriented rt hack'n'slash'" will differ from "VD says 'I heard from some guy that F3 is pretty much what you think it is'" for obvious reasons, even doh the content is basicly the same.
MMRW wrote:I won't ridicule even the most inane rumor.
I'd totally ridicule "Blargh died" seeing as it's a seemingly repeated event. A rumour going "FO3 = Oblivion w. Gunz" deserves a kicking, not because I'm an optimistic cunt hoping for a decent continuation of the series ( It's dead, we know that ) but because I simply can't appretiate info that I've been taking for granted for years, unless it's right out of the horse's ass. Actual details ( EDIT: As in "Plays out in one single location, no friendly ghoul npc's, 20 cars, BOS is the Wasteland Police, the mutant threat not over, etc" ) on the situation, sure, would be appretiated by most I'd suspect. Rince & repeat? (EDIT: NO TURNBASED OR ISO. ALSO, THE SPECIAL SYSTEM IS IN NAME ONLY LOWL ) Hardly, no.
Last edited by St. Toxic on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

my head hurts, I'm not sure what you guys are titty fighting about.

can't we get back to making fun of Oblivion with Guns?
VDweller
Regular
Regular

Post by VDweller »

Kharn wrote:VDweller thinks we should be up in arms about it. He probably has a point, we should be. But rumours confirming what everyone knows might have a few question marks attached to them.
Well, on one hand you have unconfirmed rumors, on the other hand you have all those quotes and hints like "Fallout is more than TB+isometric" and that OXM thing, which should tell you more about the game than a detailed preview. I don't see any question marks, which tells me that the community has conviniently chosen either to believe that Fallout 3 is a true sequel until officially proven otherwise, no matter how ridiculous this approach is, or to accept whatever Bethesda serves them, justifying all the "improvements" already.
Killzig wrote:BethSoft has shown that nothing will affect them either way.
That's where you are wrong. Bethesda relies on hype to sell games. Hit the hype hard and see what happens.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

VDweller wrote:That's where you are wrong. Bethesda relies on hype to sell games. Hit the hype hard and see what happens.
Their hype machine is too strongly rolling for you guys to make a dent is what I'm saying. Oblivion was the cat's meow to these kids. It's still in the top 10 for games played on the 360. You don't have the force, the direction or the venue to counter their hype.
l84wrk
SDF!
SDF!

Post by l84wrk »

That's where you are wrong. Bethesda relies on hype to sell games. Hit the hype hard and see what happens.
Definitely, Case in point the new star trek games.

Granted there wasn't much there to work with, but come on, (in my opinion) those sold almost completly on hype.
Antimeasure
Strider
Strider

Post by Antimeasure »

Ahoy fuckers...

I found the mothership.

http://www.cn.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=51629
I like my women as i like my whiskey. Twelve years old and mixed up with coke.
VDweller
Regular
Regular

Post by VDweller »

Killzig wrote:
VDweller wrote:That's where you are wrong. Bethesda relies on hype to sell games. Hit the hype hard and see what happens.
Their hype machine is too strongly rolling for you guys to make a dent is what I'm saying. Oblivion was the cat's meow to these kids. It's still in the top 10 for games played on the 360. You don't have the force, the direction or the venue to counter their hype.
Never know till you try. Their hype machine is just one guy. There are ... *counts* ... seven of you. *cue the Seven Samurai track for extra drama.

They bought the FO license because it comes with hype and nostalgia. That's the weak spot. Anyway, maybe you are right, and the rabidness of the Fallout community was greatly exaggerated.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

VDweller wrote:Bethesda relies on hype to sell games. Hit the hype hard and see what happens.
I don't get it. The hype is centered around, what, huge open worlds and shiny graphics? Does your source have anything on that? Is the shinyness gone? Is the world the size of a closet with a closed door?

I think we've done a rather decent job as it is. Every time Fallout is mentioned somewhere, it's followed by:

1) "Thank God they're making FO3"
2) "Yes, but they're obviously doing a shitty job; it'll be a desert fps"
3) "We can't know until it's done."
4) "I wouldn't mind a spin-off one bit."

You might make something out of Nr 1. ( Likely he's a Nr 3 ) Number 2 is already pretty much outside of their main demographic. Nr 3 will pick his side when he gets some concrete info ( as in, signed rumours at the least ), and Nr 4 would only be happy with a decent action game ( so if they're pulling the laser weapons or crouching or twitch gaming, that's the part that'll hurt this guy ) or perhaps he thinks story and setting are key ( I guess they'll botch that, but we don't have it in writing do we? ) or a combination. That's our field -- how should we go about toiling it?
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

you guys are already behind on combating it all. Look at the comments on today's Kotaku FO3 article.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/fallout/fallou ... 230594.php
mrbenning says:

Best. News. Ever.

The first two Fallout games had the perfect blend of horror and comedy. Let's just hope they keep it for the third one.

Any news on the Fallout MMORPG?
Horror? MMORPG?

These are the kind of people you're dealing with. The people that don't mind shelling out $60 bucks for the same bland content week in/week out. As long as these cows keep heading straight to the butcher shop willingly PUBLISHERS WILL NOT GIVE A RAT'S ASS.
kidko says:

YES!

Bethesda is probably the best group for the job. They've always been passionate about the kill-anyone do-anything rpg format.
This one really made me laugh. Kill anyone except for the characters that bring up a crown when you mouse over them. THEMS BE SPESHUL TYPE FOLK.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

St. Toxic wrote:
VDweller wrote:Bethesda relies on hype to sell games. Hit the hype hard and see what happens.
I don't get it. The hype is centered around, what, huge open worlds and shiny graphics? Does your source have anything on that? Is the shinyness gone? Is the world the size of a closet with a closed door?
Not shiny, rusty. Dusty. Musty. Busty (with thong)

I think we've done a rather decent job as it is. Every time Fallout is mentioned somewhere, it's followed by:

1) "Thank God they're making FO3"
2) "Yes, but they're obviously doing a shitty job; it'll be a desert fps"
3) "We can't know until it's done."
4) "I wouldn't mind a spin-off one bit."

You might make something out of Nr 1. ( Likely he's a Nr 3 ) Number 2 is already pretty much outside of their main demographic. Nr 3 will pick his side when he gets some concrete info ( as in, signed rumours at the least ), and Nr 4 would only be happy with a decent action game ( so if they're pulling the laser weapons or crouching or twitch gaming, that's the part that'll hurt this guy ) or perhaps he thinks story and setting are key ( I guess they'll botch that, but we don't have it in writing do we? ) or a combination. That's our field -- how should we go about toiling it?
[/quote]

Perhaps an automated or semi-automated method is in order?

Like those Mad magazine match-up-the-list things like "Make a Nixon Speech", etc.

We could work up a parser/database and run FO3 spambots off of it.

or something
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Oh sure, there's way more cows. Only go there would be, as I said, find something that harms both us and them.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

VDweller wrote:*cue the Seven Samurai track for extra drama.
I thought Seven Samurai was about 7 vs. 50+, not 7 vs. 1. That's more...well...it is small guy vs. big corporation

*cues Rocky music*
VDweller wrote:They bought the FO license because it comes with hype and nostalgia.
The Fallout license sure has become more hype since they purchased it.
VDweller wrote:Anyway, maybe you are right, and the rabidness of the Fallout community was greatly exaggerated.
You tell me, "VDweller"
VDweller
Regular
Regular

Post by VDweller »

St. Toxic wrote:I think we've done a rather decent job as it is. Every time Fallout is mentioned somewhere, it's followed by...
Who cares about what you do on your own little forum? No, seriously?
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Redeye wrote:Perhaps an automated or semi-automated method is in order? We could work up a parser/database and run FO3 spambots off of it.

or something
That'd just be annoying. We're basicly spam-bots as it is. No, we'd need "Confirmation that Beth is pulling the vault-boy out of the game" and then jam it down people's throats. That'd give us, well, a bit more support. ( Now that I think about it, not that many would care, would they? )
VDweller wrote:Who cares about what you do on your own little forum? No, seriously?
My mother says I'm very articulate and am be making a huge difference with the words I write. :sadblinky:

#/ What, you don't think it spreads? Fallout page; people who want to know what's happening pop in, read up, go "Oh snap" and spread the cynisism.

#/ Would it have a bigger impact if we moved around different forums to "spread the word" like some sort of übernette missionaries? "Hay you gamespy guys, you're like so stupid."

#/ Maybe we should run a global poll? "SIGN HERE IF YOU WANT TO STOP FO3 DEVELOPMENT :che:" -- "YES" -- "NO" -- ":susan:"

#/ Or, we get going on our very own newspaper -- "Anti-Beth gazette" -- Headlines today: "Fallout 3 will suck - boycott in order".

#/ No, wait, how about we post shit at the Codex? That'd totally take everyone by surprise. We go over there to general rpg discussion and post something quite novel and maybe it'll show up in search engines.

What is your goddamn suggestion anyway? I mean, I'm pretty much beyond the point of caring. I'd like to get a kick in, but that's more of an option than necessity.

And what is it you do? Educate us in the ways of Le Resistance, so that we may fight the opression.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

St. Toxic wrote:Would it have a bigger impact if we moved around different forums to "spread the word" like some sort of übernette missionaries? "Hay you gamespy guys, you're like so stupid."
Teehee, consider how much effect gamespy guys doing the reverse have on us, I'll just imagine that quite fruitless.

's right, LACKING FRUIT
Our Host!