CNC vs. Starcraft

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

CNC v. Starcraft

CNC
31%
StarCraft
69%

Total votes: 16

Dark Xenomorph

CNC vs. Starcraft

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

Hmm, the battle of the rts kings. CNC, is one of the first rts, but SC is way more imaginitive. Whats your take on this? Just remeber, Red Alert series are included for the CNC ( same with brood war for SC)
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

SC without any doubt. SC is the ultimate RTS, unlikely to ever be paralleled.
SC is great, the best of its kind, crushing all newborn competitors, imo.

The gameplay/graphics and storyline SC's features havent been matched by any of the cnc series, again....imo.
I bought and used to play both games with equal intensity, so these arent just loose statements.

my personal taste of sci-fi related games might have slightly influenced my opinion :)

ps, "sci-fi" doesnt by any means include the starwars/startrek phenomenon, when thinking sci-fi, think FO/SC/....a blend of fiction and realism.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Definately SC, CNC never gripped me the way SC did.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

There are quite some factors in this...

If we're talking about storylines, then SC is obviously the choice.
If we talk graphics, then SC is the best of those two as well.
If we talk what age they're from, well....
I'd rate C&C higher for what it had at that time.

If we talk game-value; Then Total Annihilation kicks all of their
butts all the way to RTS heaven!
Testicular Pugilist
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Have you tried Total Annihilation Kingdoms? I liked TA but not Kingdoms, don't know why.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Kingdoms suck unfortunately.

All the "races" seem like the same... no value in it =/
Testicular Pugilist
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Kingdoms happens to be the one i bought quite a while ago...its AWEFULL

TA was ok except for the fact at a certain stage the enemy tended to get SO incredibly big there was hardly any way to defeat it. Prolly due to the inexhaustible recourses.
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

i have never played any of the TAs althogh i hear the first few ones were made by chris taylor ( the guy that made HnS game Dungeon Siege ) my friends say its good for its time.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

ta... i believe it has tons of units....

dont like it much, but it killed time
Hello New Jersey
Kozmo_Naut
Respected
Respected

Post by Kozmo_Naut »

Total Annihilation rocks!

It's the only RTS I have ever played all the way through, and I enjoyed every last bit of it.

It has no story as such.
It doesn't have units that make fancy comments.
It doesn't have any fancy cutscenes.

What it does have, however, is heaps upon heaps of unparalled RTS gameplay.

And the music! I could write forever about the TA music. Truly the best (and most fitting) game soundtrack ever!
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

It was comical the way u could construct a gun that had an effective range equal to the maps diameter.

Cant remember the music specifically, though i do recall the abundancy were classical tunes.
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

Another thing, after Dune Westwood followed THE EXACT same pattern for ALL of their RTS. all they did was rename the units and buildings.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

I like StarCraft better, for reasons already given. But Red Alert 2 is kinda fun.

I don't have TA, but a friend of mine does. Haven't played enough to really get a good idea of it though.
fuck
tux
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by tux »

vote Dune 2!
Kozmo_Naut
Respected
Respected

Post by Kozmo_Naut »

Lynxer wrote:It was comical the way u could construct a gun that had an effective range equal to the maps diameter.

Cant remember the music specifically, though i do recall the abundancy were classical tunes.
In "The Core Contingency" (add-on pack) you can build huge rapid fire cannons. Arm has a great big chaingun and Core has something called "The Buzzsaw"...

Very effective for stopping tank rushes but they gobble up energy like there's no tomorrow...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

i've never been a huge RTS fan, but my vote goes for SC. More interesting setting and the different races add excitement. No more commies vs. good guys games, there's zillions of those games already, and a new one... well, that's just stupid.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

StarCraft, easily. Westwood is just a collection of unimaginative bastards who are starting to cheese off some of even the hardest C&C vets. They sucker the idiots who are willing to pay what most other communities (TA, SC) are given for free and have built upon greatly.

The LOS and building scheme of the 2235234th generation of Dune II is a laugh, moreso when it's been through how many rehacks and they've only changed a few of the environment behaviours? I've got RA2. The building scheme is still the stupid "you've got 9 billion barracks, but you can only have troops come out of ONE of them at a time- oh, you can also build one building at a time, too". Sorry, but building at one front at a time in most RTS games gets your ass handed to you easily, not to mention the incredilbly shoddy AI behind the harvesters. Having one or two run for behind enemy lines isn't a question of "if", it's more a question of "when". These reasons and flaws are likely why most Westwood fanboys hate having their ass handed to them when playing SC or TA. Strategy is a complete joke in Dune MCMXVII; it all matters in how someone can best memorize a line in the building chain and run with it. Most of the units are ground, and I was almost speechless at how utterly trashed the "one side has air and subs while the other side has a navy" system of RA was. They purposely keep the modding a bit obscure, and the expansions are an complete joke if you know how to create new units on your own, as myself and a few friends did. Tesla tanks? We played around with those shortly after RA was released. Including fire-breathing hounds and tesla hounds, too, amongst many others. In deliberately neutering the potential of their game with the modding community (which is one of TA's strong points - not TA:K's), they have set up a scheme to routinely milk off the coddled fan-boys.

The LOS is garbage, in selectively showing you a spot on the map your plane was 10 minutes ago, while your infantry is under stricter rules.

I've compared the LOS behaviour of C&C and RA2. It's nearly identical in method, and sometimes C&C's works better.

It seems the only imaginative talent at Westwood in terms of C&C occured with Dune II and that was it. Oh, was anyone surprised at the "X-Com-ing" of that game?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I haven't played any good westwood game since Dune 2. The newer dunes just don't feel the same, and Dune 2000 was only an attempt to make more money with the title. I regret I bought that game. And Command & Conquers, the first one was OK, a mediocre plot combined with a new fresh look in the RTS front and nice intro/videos between the missions worked well. The latest C&C game, Renegade, is another example of milking money with the C&C name, this time only in a FPS game. And Red Alerts are basically C&C with the classic communist threat plot. It's sequel, RA2, offered nothing new to the game series. There's a stench of dollars every time when Westwood releases a new game. Or should I say, a sequel. I fear the RTS genre will slowly die, sure it still makes a lot of money, but new ideas are needed. People, buy Close Combat instead.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Don't like TA much, although the Starwars mod for it is rather cool (correction: Really Really cool)
Kozmo_Naut wrote:And the music! I could write forever about the TA music. Truly the best (and most fitting) game soundtrack ever!
Although the music is awesome, Homeworld has more fitting tunes in my opinion.

As for the poll....Not sure, I vote other, Dune. Mainly because I enjoy playing Dune universe games (except Frank Herburts: Dune, that blew goats)
Araanor
Respected
Respected

Post by Araanor »

Dune 2 was amazing. I had a good time with Command and Conquer too. Red Alert made me go "wtf" and was a total bore compared to C&C. Tiberian Sun was a terrible dissapointment. Red Alert 2 was mildly enjoyable. Sum: only the brands keeps Westwood from fading into obscurity.
Our Host!